Player Discussion Mike Matheson

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
On this site Matheson gets Brisebois level respect which is unwarranted. Solid player for the money.
Fortunately people on this Board ( including this august writer) don’t make personnel decisions for this team.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Fortunately people on this Board ( including this august writer) don’t make personnel decisions for this team.
One thing I should have noted is that Brisebois didn't deserve the hate he received. He and Matheson have one thing in common, they were always asked to play in a top pairing role when in reality they were both suited for 2nd pairing responsibilities

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
One thing I should have noted is that Brisebois didn't deserve the hate he received. He and Matheson have one thing in common, they were always asked to play in a top pairing role when in reality they were both suited for 2nd pairing responsibilities
I remain somewhat puzzled as to what is expected of a supposedly top pairing defenceman and how our team is supposedly to acquire such a creature?

When one looks around the league, which teams have a supposedly top pairing defenceman ( who in some posters' opinion must necessarily be superior to Matheson) on their current rosters? Does Toronto have a defenceman superior to Matheson? The Oilers? The Flames? The Jets? Black Hawks? Kings? You can go on and on. Yes, Matheson is not Makar, or some of the other elite defenceman. But a defenceman who possesses his elite mobility, can play 25 minutes a game, is among the top 10 scoring defencemen in the league, who can play in all game situations and is durable is, by any definition, a top pairing defenceman. Regardless if there are dozen or so more talented defencemen in the league..

People should appreciate what Matheson brings to the team because it would be hard to replace him and any such top pairing defenceman would cost significantly more in salary.

As I said, Hughes is not trading him despite those elements of the braying crowd who are insistent on this fine player being moved. And we should all be thankful for that.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Was streit considered a dman that year? I seem to recall he was a forward who played the triggerman at the point on a deadly powerplay.
Correct, played mostly forward plus pointman.

Streit scored a big ES goal in Game 7 of the Bruins series, as a forward.

Matheson is a much better player at ages 28-30 than Brisebois was.

Reactions: angusyoung

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Correct, played mostly forward plus pointman.

Streit scored a big ES goal in Game 7 of the Bruins series, as a forward.

Matheson is a much better player at ages 28-30 than Brisebois was.

About the only thing I liked about breezer 1.0 was his passing. He could really feather them into someone's wheelhouse when he wasn't f***ing things up.

I actually liked him more when he came back at the end of his career in a non-primary role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad