Player Discussion Mike Matheson

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Matheson's brain cramps frustrate me as much as the next person, but he's still a good player on an excellent contract. If the goal is to take a step forward next season then Matheson is a part of that equation, we won't be going anywhere with a left side of 3 U24 defensemen.

Ideally he eventually becomes a real good 2nd pair dman for us or trade bait, but we aren't close to being there yet.
If we have two defencemen who are ‘better’ than Matheson, we will be ‘there’,

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He gets trashed here all the time and he's putting up Markov numbers lol. Trash MM all you want it's trendy, trash Newhook they come out of the woods in numbers after you.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He gets trashed here all the time and he's putting up Markov numbers lol. Trash MM all you want it's trendy, trash Newhook they come out of the woods in numbers after you.
So you believe hes as good as Markov when you put up a statement like this?

He sucks. We hear people whine about DB scouting, this is the biggest case of DB scouting.

Reactions: Pomee

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So you believe hes as good as Markov when you put up a statement like this?

He sucks. We hear people whine about DB scouting, this is the biggest case of DB scouting.

lol , do I think he is? No. Why is everyone so sensitive today? I hate the douche, but he's putting up points so cool beans, it's impressive. He's +/- may go down in history, it's near Buchberger levels

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And those 60 pts will be filled in by?

The points aren't as big a deal as the minutes. Only Doughty and Carlson have played more than him this season. Ideally the points come from younger D, but you want someone to play the minutes Matheson does so you're not throwing the young guys to the wolves.

Reactions: Sorinth

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And those 60 pts will be filled in by?
We don't need to replace the 60 points, we need to replace his 44% on ice GF at 5v5. Games are mainly played at 5v5. We need to get better there. Also his defensive zone giveaways, and this is at all strength, but mostly at 5v5. He's 2nd in the league in such, first at 5v5. (Last year he finished third while missing half the season, so it's not some kind of "anomaly".)

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I'll make it easy for everyone that's not paying attention. HuGo are not trading a 60+ point D who wants to play in MTL, that KH targeted for trade only 2 years ago and that's also only 30. They want an NHL product next year that will compete. It's not rocket science and not everyone is up for trade because they're not 20'ish lmao

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll make it easy for everyone that's not paying attention. HuGo are not trading a 60+ point D who wants to play in MTL, that KH targeted for trade only 2 years ago and that's also only 30. They want an NHL product next year that will compete. It's not rocket science and not everyone is up for trade because they're not 20'ish lmao
Keeping him here one more year definitely solves the problem of who eats up minutes on the first line. Hutson, RB and Mailloux are all probably in the AHL next year.

I could see Matheson dealt at the deadline though.

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not because he isn't 20ish, it's because he's a detriment to the team. Matheson has been absolutely terrible at 5v5. It's unnaceptable for PO team to have a guy like him. We aspire to be a PO contender next year, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Hutson, Engstrom, Norlinder and Trudeau are all LD's, that is a lot of organisational depth. Dickinson, Buium and Silayev are top prospects available for the draft, two of which could play next year in the NHL.

Mathesons contract has two years left, he's never produced as much and other teams are going to look at his production and think "I can fix him". If the offer is good, he needs to be dealt. If all that we can get is a 2nd, keep him, but for gods sake reduce his minutes and move back Guhle on the LD top pair.

We can't just keep every single player in a rebuild and get attached to players, that's a good way to become the Wild/Flyers.

Also:
1713116516213.png

Something sticks out here, it may not be an actual top pair D that we have, but what do I know.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
It's not because he isn't 20ish, it's because he's a detriment to the team. Matheson has been absolutely terrible at 5v5. It's unnaceptable for PO team to have a guy like him. We aspire to be a PO contender next year, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Hutson, Engstrom, Norlinder and Trudeau are all LD's, that is a lot of organisational depth. Dickinson, Buium and Silayev are top prospects available for the draft, two of which could play next year in the NHL.

Mathesons contract has two years left, he's never produced as much and other teams are going to look at his production and think "I can fix him". If the offer is good, he needs to be dealt. If all that we can get is a 2nd, keep him, but for gods sake reduce his minutes and move back Guhle on the LD top pair.

We can't just keep every single player in a rebuild and get attached to players, that's a good way to become the Wild/Flyers.

Also:
View attachment 851719

Something sticks out here, it may not be an actual top pair D that we have, but what do I know.
What's sticking out is that we're a rebuilding team with a D greener than my backyard. I can guarantee you that they are not trading him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The D isn't green anymore. Guhle, Kovacevic, Xhekaj, Harris, Savard, heck even Barron all have 3 + pro seasons under the hood.
Your math, or your facts, are completely off.

3 "pro seasons" = 246 games

Guhle - 114 pro games
Xhekaj - 112 pro games (95 NHL )
Harris - 130 pro games
Strubble - 76 pro games (55 NHL)
Barron - 197 pro games (92 NHL)
Kovacevic - 279 pro games (142 NHL)

6 of our 8 NHL dmen have less than 2 NHL seasons worth of game experience... and 4 of 8 have less than 2 pro seasons worth of any pro experience.

By any reasonable definition, the defense is absolutely "green", both in game experience and age.

Not sure why you would try to (falsely) frame it otherwise :dunno:

Yes at a certain point we should be expecting more out of the "young players" that aren't rookies especially d men

Exaggerated or unrealistic expectations is a great way to be frustrated... Not sure what purpose that serves?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Your math, or your facts, are completely off.

3 "pro seasons" = 246 games

Guhle - 114 pro games
Xhekaj - 112 pro games (95 NHL )
Harris - 130 pro games
Strubble - 76 pro games (55 NHL)
Barron - 197 pro games (92 NHL)
Kovacevic - 279 pro games (142 NHL)

6 of our 8 NHL dmen have less than 2 NHL seasons worth of game experience... and 4 of 8 have less than 2 pro seasons worth of any pro experience.

By any reasonable definition, the defense is absolutely "green", both in game experience and age.

Not sure why you would try to (falsely) frame it otherwise :dunno:

Exaggerated or unrealistic expectations is a great way to be frustrated... Not sure what purpose that serves?
No, three seasons is three seasons, no matter how many games you play, lol. They've been playing, practicing, etc for three years with pro teams.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Mike Matheson this season sacrificed defense for offense to prove he could produce offensively. I would like to see him find balance next season. Of course, that means the Habs need a dman that can share the offensive load.

Matheson makes very suspect decisions that costs the team. Can he cut down on those?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad