Player Discussion Mike Matheson

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote.
The point of your post, beside the stuff about Brisebois, seems to be that Matheson does dumb play.

I friendly remind people in general that shit on Matheson that we got him for old Jeff Petry.

Seems relevant. Pardon me if I offend you.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The point of your post, beside the stuff about Brisebois, seems to be that Matheson does dumb play.

I friendly remind people in general that shit on Matheson that we got him for old Jeff Petry.

Seems relevant. Pardon me if I offend you.
Petry's gaffes were no where near as frequent as Matheson's and he was a far better defender.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Petry's gaffes were no where near as frequent as Matheson's and he was a far better defender.

Not until he hit 30-31... Petry was gaffe-prone in his mid 20s.

His best years both production and reliability-wise were from 31-34.

Matheson just turned 30 this season. Big career year offensively, and the most minutes he's ever played. Absolutely no reason to believe that he won't keep improving his overall game the next 2-3 yrs, while maintaining a 40+pt production level.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People need to realize we could still be stuck with Petry.
Were not stuck with Petry, the trade was good, Matheson is a better asset than Petry at this point in time. It doesnt mean anything when we try to evaluate Mathesons place on this team.
51 pts is a passenger... OK.
Not everything is 5 on 5. You cannot tell me with a straight face Savard would be better than Matheson on the PP.

I swear the amount of undeserved hate the guy gets is ridiculous.
"Driving offense" is a 5 on 5 term. It wouldnt be better but Im not sure it would be worse. Im pretty sure Guhle would do better.

Can you find me more than 10 points hes directly responsible for on the PP? Ill wait, the bar is pretty low, Ill let it go if you can prove me wrong.

Reactions: Pomee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not until he hit 30-31... Petry was gaffe-prone in his mid 20s.

His best years both production and reliability-wise were from 31-34.

Matheson just turned 30 this season. Big career year offensively, and the most minutes he's ever played. Absolutely no reason to believe that he won't keep improving his overall game the next 2-3 yrs, while maintaining a 40+pt production level.
Trust me I think Matheson can be much much better than he currently is with a couple of adjustments.
His shift lengths are about 10 secs more on average than anyone else.
He can be more selective about when he takes off.
He can be far more prudent with his puck management when he does.
He has stopped turning back on himself which is good.
Use the glass more to get out of trouble.
I mean he does get to a lot pucks before anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Did I hit a nerve lmao? I pointed out the fact that we got Matheson for Jeff Petry as a friendly banter. Chill the f out.
What?
The nerves that are rattled seem to be on your side of the chat.
I simply pointed out that Jeff Petry had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion or any of my observations regarding Mike Matheson.
I just wasn't sure why you even brought him up. :dunno:

Reactions: Pomee

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
What?
The nerves that are rattled seem to be on your side of the chat.
I simply pointed out that Jeff Petry had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion or any of my observations regarding Mike Matheson.
I just wasn't sure why you even brought him up. :dunno:
I actually kind of am bro. I have been waiting all day for my new computer and I still haven’t got shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Andrei79 and Rapala

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Were not stuck with Petry, the trade was good, Matheson is a better asset than Petry at this point in time. It doesnt mean anything when we try to evaluate Mathesons place on this team.

"Driving offense" is a 5 on 5 term. It wouldnt be better but Im not sure it would be worse. Im pretty sure Guhle would do better.

Can you find me more than 10 points hes directly responsible for on the PP? Ill wait, the bar is pretty low, Ill let it go if you can prove me wrong.
Matheson only having 4 PP pts less than Suzuki is pretty telling. Him and Suzuki are the 2 key player on that PP. I am not gonna look 10 random clip just to prove that point.
Here is one:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Trust me I think Matheson can be much much better than he currently is with a couple of adjustments.
He has stopped turning back on himself as often recently which is good.
It will be interesting to see how he evolves as the D group gets stronger around him.

He's not a #1A dman, yet he's 4th in the league in TOI... As his usage drops, there's a good chance his decision making improves (not from not trying to do so much & from less fatigue).

Reactions: Jigger77

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
He has stopped turning back on himself as often in recent games which is good.

Exactly, the thing is he's probably been told that since he started his NHL career 8 years ago with the Panthers, that's why i'm not very optimistic he would catch it all the sudden.

To me the wrong chair excuse is not valid cuz he was not playin all those minutes with the Panthers and the Pens and was always a poor defensive D, obviously if he could become a only decent defensive D, he would be a keeper.

Reactions: Rapala and Pomee

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
We have a top 10 defenseman for points in the entire league at an absolute bargain price playing the 3rd toughest minutes in the entire nhl for the first time in his still youngish, in defenseman terms, career. We are starved for offense on this team yet people still moan about him. He would 100% be a top 4 on a contending team but let's all whine about him becasue he isn't prime Suter. This place is absolutely ridiculous. Like I didn't already know that i guess lol

Reactions: dgeezus

Pomee

Nov 26, 2006
51 pts is a passenger... OK.
Not everything is 5 on 5. You cannot tell me with a straight face Savard would be better than Matheson on the PP.

I swear the amount of undeserved hate the guy gets is ridiculous.
Guhle, Xhekay and Struble would be better than Matheson on the PP.
Savard and Kovacevic and even Harris wouldnt be worse.
You dont see any of these guys losing the puck on the blue line ever fricking shift on the PP over and over and over.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
-51 and 51 points could be a thing. He’s approaching Kelly Buckberger numbers

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We have a top 10 defenseman for points in the entire league at an absolute bargain price playing the 3rd toughest minutes in the entire nhl for the first time in his still youngish, in defenseman terms, career. We are starved for offense on this team yet people still moan about him. He would 100% be a top 4 on a contending team but let's all whine about him becasue he isn't prime Suter. This place is absolutely ridiculous. Like I didn't already know that i guess lol
I remember when Paccioretty's bargain price kept getting brought up when he was sucking.
I didn't buy that type of argument then either.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Guhle, Xhekay and Struble would be better than Matheson on the PP.
Savard and Kovacevic and even Harris wouldnt be worse.
You dont see any of these guys losing the puck on the blue line ever fricking shift on the PP over and over and over.
This hate is getting delusional.
I don't what MSL is waiting for. Our PP should be at 60-70% with any of the other D-man.

• Haha
Reactions: 26Mats and mdk

Pomee

Nov 26, 2006
This hate is getting delusional.
I don't what MSL is waiting for. Our PP should be at 60-70% with any of the other D-man.
What hate are you still talking about FFS?
There is no hate, just pure anger when he does stupid dumb play over and over.
He is a fricking defensman, I want him to be able to play defence.
I dont care about his highlights reel goals once in a while.
His -28 is not delusional, its real AF!

Last edited:

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
It will be interesting to see how he evolves as the D group gets stronger around him.

He's not a #1A dman, yet he's 4th in the league in TOI... As his usage drops, there's a good chance his decision making improves (not from not trying to do so much & from less fatigue).
why would you expect his decision-making to improve from less TOI?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
thing is, most of his mistakes are unforced errors. they don't come from being under pressure, but from inherently poor decision-making. that's why I'm skeptical
Poor decision making can be the result of fatigue.

But in Matheson's case, I think he just doesn't process the game fast enough, so lower opposition would do him some good.

Reactions: Pomee and Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad