Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (TVA: "Mike Off-Man")

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm very happy Habs signed him. He was a target of mine since last year when Habs were rumored to be interested.

They ended up signing Toffoli because I think Hoffman was holding out a bit as a UFA and Habs didn't want to wait longer, especially when they knew Toffoli was ready to sign.

But a year later, Montreal now has both Toffoli and Hoffman.

And both at great cap hits:

Toffoli at $4.25M
Hoffman at $4.5M

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Where do you project him to play on the PP? Seems to be comfortable in the "Matthews spot".

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I'm very happy Habs signed him. He was a target of mine since last year when Habs were rumored to be interested.

They ended up signing Toffoli because I think Hoffman was holding out a bit as a UFA and Habs didn't want to wait longer, especially when they knew Toffoli was ready to sign.

But a year later, Montreal now has both Toffoli and Hoffman.

And both at great cap hits:

Toffoli at $4.25M
Hoffman at $4.5M
I agree. We needed Hoffman for our PP. With the additions of Dvorak, Hoffman, and Caufield, I expect our PP to be one of the best this upcoming season. Hopefully we can also continue having a great PK, but with Danault gone... it'll be a lot more difficult to sustain - unless Dvorak can fill in those shoes as well.

Also, LOL at Off-man. I love it that they don't pronounce the H when there's one, and they pronounce one when there isn't. Like Adam Michaels would be Hadam Michaels, but Mike Hoffman is Mike Offman.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
So, we now have enough proper one-dimensional goal scoring wingers to have real shooting threats on multiple lines?

Makes a real change from a steady diet of 2-way wingers.

Hoffman will continue to shoot & score, for sure.

Reactions: abo9 and angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So, we now have enough proper one-dimensional goal scoring wingers to have real shooting threats on multiple lines?

Makes a real change from a steady diet of 2-way wingers.

Hoffman will continue to shoot & score, for sure.

But do we have enough playmakers to get them the puck? Do we have a high enough quality of centers to get them the puck.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It feels like a bit of a hodgepodge of forward pieces, but a lot of good pieces.

I have the sense the lack of playmakers and centers will hurt us. But we have the assets to go out and get what's missing in a trade if a glaring weakness shows up. MB likes to make his moves as reactions to what he sees on the ice in a particular year, more so than having a long term vision. So we'll see if he steps up and makes moves if the lack of playmakers and/or center depth becomes an issue.

Reactions: Walrus26 and BLONG7

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
But do we have enough playmakers to get them the puck? Do we have a high enough quality of centers to get them the puck.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It feels like a bit of a hodgepodge of forward pieces, but a lot of good pieces.

I have the sense the lack of playmakers and centers will hurt us. But we have the assets to go out and get what's missing in a trade if a glaring weakness shows up. MB likes to make his moves as reactions to what he sees on the ice in a particular year, more so than having a long term vision. So we'll see if he steps up and makes moves if the lack of playmakers and/or center depth becomes an issue.

We can never seem to have the right balance of nice things up front at the same time. Isn't that someone's primary job, possibly?

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I love Suzuki, but you put Hoffman in his regular spot on the PP and move Suzuki around. He's one of the best PP players in the league.

Suzuki or Caufiled can play the point. Caufield may be lethal inbthe bumper/high slot role.

I think Dvorak should be in front of the net. I also want Toffoli on that top unit.

Could a 5- forward unit work, with Suzuki or Caufield at the top if the diamond? Suzuki, Dvorak, Caufield, Hoffman, Toffoli?

Suzuki: top of the diamond
Hoffman: right half wall
Caufield: left half wall
Toffoli: bumper
Dvorak: front of the net

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Suzuki or Caufiled can play the point. Caufield may be lethal inbthe bumper/high slot role.

I think Dvorak should be in front of the net. I also want Toffoli on that top unit.

Could a 5- forward unit work, with Suzuki or Caufield at the top if the diamond? Suzuki, Dvorak, Caufield, Hoffman, Toffoli?

Suzuki: top of the diamond
Hoffman: right half wall
Caufield: left half wall
Toffoli: bumper
Dvorak: front of the net
I wouldn't do a 5 forward unit. Suzuki kinda struggled on the faceoffs on the PP, but you still need to put him on the first wave.

PP1:
Toffoli
Caufield Hoffman
Suzuki Petry

PP2:
Dvorak
Drouin Anderson/Gallagher
Romanov Wideman

The 2nd unit needs someone to take the spot of Wideman, and frankly, I'd give Poehling a shot on the PP over Anderson/Gallagher who just crash the net, but can't make plays or pass.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where do you project him to play on the PP? Seems to be comfortable in the "Matthews spot".

My PP units are this... I'd use Petry in a more offensive role this year where he plays a lot of PP but not much PK. Edmundson, Chiarot, Savard, Romanov, Kulak can fill the PK usage just fine. We need Petry for zone entries on our PP

Unit 1:
Caufield / Gallagher or Anderson / Suzuki
Petry / Drouin

Unit 2:
Toffoli / Dvorak / Hoffman
Petry / Romanov

Armia gets some time here and there.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I love Suzuki, but you put Hoffman in his regular spot on the PP and move Suzuki around. He's one of the best PP players in the league.

Similar to how I remembered Andy powering through our D when he played for Columbus, I do remember Hoffman being an almost sure-shot on the PP for Ottawa.

Here, imagine Ceci is Petry when the Habs apply pressure. This should work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You don't have to have Hoffman with Suzuki on the same unit. Possible but we don't really have to do it. I'd leave Suzuki in his spot with Caufield on the other side. Then one of Gallagher and Armia in the middle.

Hoffman and Toffoli fit well with Dvorak on the 2nd unit IMO.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You don't have to have Hoffman with Suzuki on the same unit. Possible but we don't really have to do it. I'd leave Suzuki in his spot with Caufield on the other side. Then one of Gallagher and Armia in the middle.

Hoffman and Toffoli fit well with Dvorak on the 2nd unit IMO.
I think it's dumb to spread out talent on a PP. You need to load it up with the best players on PP 1 and then play them for almost 90 seconds before going to PP2.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Similar to how I remembered Andy powering through our D when he played for Columbus, I do remember Hoffman being an almost sure-shot on the PP for Ottawa.

Here, imagine Ceci is Petry when the Habs apply pressure. This should work.

Hoffman's one timer on the right side is deadly as well. That's where I recall him playing when the Panthers had one of the best PP in the NHL and I believe he was also there with the Blues.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't do a 5 forward unit. Suzuki kinda struggled on the faceoffs on the PP, but you still need to put him on the first wave.

PP1:
Toffoli
Caufield Hoffman
Suzuki Petry

PP2:
Dvorak
Drouin Anderson/Gallagher
Romanov Wideman

The 2nd unit needs someone to take the spot of Wideman, and frankly, I'd give Poehling a shot on the PP over Anderson/Gallagher who just crash the net, but can't make plays or pass.

I'd have a net front presence. So I'd put Dvorak on the first unit to be in front of the net - and take the draws. I'd also give the 1st unit the lion share of the time. 2nd unit, if Petry is on 1st unit and Toffoli off of it would be:
Net front: Gallagher
Right Half wall: Drouin
Bumper: Toffoli
Left half wall: Evans
Top of the Diamond: Romanov

I don't think Wideman makes the top 6 and is in the lineup regularly, like Gus.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Hoffman's one timer on the right side is deadly as well. That's where I recall him playing when the Panthers had one of the best PP in the NHL and I believe he was also there with the Blues.

So, seeing Hoffman on the 3rd or 4th lines in many posts from the Lines 2021-22 thread is a bit odd. Hoffman and Anderson can be seen on the 3rd & 4th in a lot of them.

I think he's an absolute weapon and might even start on the 1st line as Suzuki's trigger man, nothing less. His conditioning/skating is superior to Toffoli's.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

There may be a problem with puck retrieval as well. A lot of these lines will be fine with the puck, not so much when the other team has it.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd have a net front presence. So I'd put Dvorak on the first unit to be in front of the net - and take the draws. I'd also give the 1st unit the lion share of the time. 2nd unit, if Petry is on 1st unit and Toffoli off of it would be:
Gallagher
Drouin Toffoli Evans
Romanov
Toffoli was very good in the bumper slot. He can handle it well imo and it's hard not to play our most productive player on PP1. Habs need to find someone else to replace Romanov and Evans on PP2 and Gallagher/Anderson are poor PP players too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's dumb to spread out talent on a PP. You need to load it up with the best players on PP 1 and then play them for almost 90 seconds before going to PP2.

We are not top heavy and we like to spread out ice time. We need to come to grips with that. We just don't have stars like how other teams go with one dominate unit. I see us going with two units but both units being very strong. Instead of before with one good unit and one below average one.

Why move Suzuki from his spot when he has gotten comfortable with it? Makes no sense to me and I feel we are crowning Suzuki as a star too soon. We have to consider that Suzuki is not some sure shot 1C. He's more likely a top 25-40 rated center. Lets not yoyo Suzuki cause we think he can do everything

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Toffoli was very good in the bumper slot. He can handle it well imo and it's hard not to play our most productive player on PP1. Habs need to find someone else to replace Romanov and Evans on PP2 and Gallagher/Anderson are poor PP players too.

I would load up unit 1. Yes, I want Toffoli on the 1st unit. I'd be interested to see if 5 forwards can play on a unit. Probably not.

Dvorak is, apparantly, really good on the pp.

Gallagher can stand in front of the net on pp 2, or play the bumper role. Anderson, I think may be decent as a net front presence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So, seeing Hoffman on the 3rd or 4th lines in many posts from the Lines 2021-22 thread is a bit odd. Hoffman and Anderson can be seen on the 3rd & 4th in a lot of them.

I think he's an absolute weapon and might even start on the 1st line as Suzuki's trigger man, nothing less. His conditioning/skating is superior to Toffoli's.

Habs have 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B lines.

When I'm doing lines, I have these parameters to consider..
* If Caufield plays with Suzuki, the other winger is either Toffoli or Anderson. Lets not ask Suzuki to shelter a small Caufield and a soft winger with 200' flaws on the other side.
* Lehkonen with Evans. Book it!
* Drouin and Hoffman can't be on the same 5/5 line.

Pretending that we can stack a "1st line" and they do well against dominate 1st lines in our division is a major stretch. Lets not ask Suzuki to be god this year. Keep him on his path and don't mess around with it too much.

Hoffman on the other PP unit with Dvorak and Toffoli is a good mix as well. If you put Hoffman with Suzuki, where does Suzuki play? Front of the net? Who's the left handed one timer option on the other unit? Suzuki does so well in that spot so I say leave him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad