Mike Green

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
What about it, Washington fans seem to have soured on him

Right handed. Not elite defensively but better or equal to anyone we have currently.

Pair him with Smith or Kronwall on the powerplay..

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What about it, Washington fans seem to have soured on him

Right handed. Not elite defensively but better or equal to anyone we have currently.

Pair him with Smith or Kronwall on the powerplay..

They may have soured on him but wait to hear the asking price, my guess is you don't escape without including a 1st and some pretty nice things.

RedWingsNow*

Was honestly just looking him up on capgeek.
$6.2M.

What would it take to get him
We trade Quincey or CC, obviously. We'd have to give up a defensive prospect and maybe forward prospect too.

Still leaves us without toughness on the blueline though.

I'd try these two trades:
To Washington: Quincey, Sproul, Andersson for Green
To Toronto: Cleary for Komisarek

Defense
Kronwall Green
Smith Komisarek
Ericsson White
+ Kindl and Huskins + CC

Honestly, we've got so much trash in our lineup, you can't even give it away

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
would be a great,high upside move if he didn't cost too much

my only concern would be his health

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Was honestly just looking him up on capgeek.
$6.2M.

What would it take to get him
We trade Quincey or CC, obviously. We'd have to give up a defensive prospect and maybe forward prospect too.

Still leaves us without toughness on the blueline though.

I'd try these two trades:
To Washington: Quincey, Sproul, Andersson for Green
To Toronto: Cleary for Komisarek

Defense
Kronwall Green
Smith Komisarek
Ericsson White
+ Kindl and Huskins + CC

Honestly, we've got so much trash in our lineup, you can't even give it away

I would be up to giving any D prospect not named Ouellet, Sproul, or Smith. all these players have top 4 potential at least. switch out Sproul and put in Jensen and Kindl.
Sproul is big and puts up big points, all you need is a few years in the AHL telling him to use the body or he's not getting called up, and you have a poor mans Shea Weber. not only that but Green's cap hit is big and with the new lowered cap they would be happy with a huge contract off their back.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would be up to giving any D prospect not named Ouellet, Sproul, or Smith. all these players have top 4 potential at least. switch out Sproul and put in Jensen and Kindl.
Sproul is big and puts up big points, all you need is a few years in the AHL telling him to use the body or he's not getting called up, and you have a poor mans Shea Weber. not only that but Green's cap hit is big and with the new lowered cap they would be happy with a huge contract off their back.

Agree completely Sproul is a big ask at this point if they want to unload Green. TFC will hate it but maybe they have enormous interest in giving Marchenko a roster spot. The Caps do like Russians.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Makes us better on the power play, worst at even strength.

We need a stay at home defensive defensemen. Could care less about Mike Green.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Caps will probably buy him out anyway, won't they?

Never considered that. They do have space but also a fair amount of guys to sign.

I'd still offer Tatar + 2nd, at least.

And Green would not make us worse at even strength. That's baloney. But he and Smith could make the PP a force for the future.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
We don't have the pieces to acquire a guy like Green, unfortunately. But I'd rather shoot for a Bogosian or someone like that, if we were going to do a big trade, anyway. Need more nastiness.

RedWingsNow*

Agree completely Sproul is a big ask at this point if they want to unload Green. TFC will hate it but maybe they have enormous interest in giving Marchenko a roster spot. The Caps do like Russians.

I don;t think the Caps are all that big on Russians these days.:laugh:

I'd gladly move Marchenko.
But I think Sproul is what it would cost.
It sounds like a lot. But Green is a defenseman who has scored 31 goals in the NHL.

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat -- if I was pretty sure we could afford it salary wise.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Is there no one available that can actually defend?

I'm tired of defensemen that are average on defense with some supposed offensive upside. Which will never matter because we can never get out of our own end.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I would rather keep our prospects and ride out this reload than make a bunch of knee jerk moves in this shortend season. Are we an elite team? No. But we are not a bad team either. Smith is only going to get better all year. Sign a guy like Smid this offseason and wait till the kids are ready.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would rather keep our prospects and ride out this reload than make a bunch of knee jerk moves in this shortend season. Are we an elite team? No. But we are not a bad team either. Smith is only going to get better all year. Sign a guy like Smid this offseason and wait till the kids are ready.

In the same camp, if this is going to be the year we have a bad year, it is a pretty good one. Crapshoot season with the schedule and look at the draft too when thinking about this. Get into the summer and then decide. It will have also given you a close look at all the kids in the summer camp.

More than likely we will get a very good look at Sproul with the Griffins in the playoffs.

RedWingsNow*

In the same camp, if this is going to be the year we have a bad year, it is a pretty good one. Crapshoot season with the schedule and look at the draft too when thinking about this. Get into the summer and then decide. It will have also given you a close look at all the kids in the summer camp.

More than likely we will get a very good look at Sproul with the Griffins in the playoffs.

What in the **** is the point of having a bad year when we're keeping our rookies in the AHL?

If this is "bad year" season, then call up Tatar and Nyquist now.

But that ain't gonna happen.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
What in the **** is the point of having a bad year when we're keeping our rookies in the AHL?

If this is "bad year" season, then call up Tatar and Nyquist now.

But that ain't gonna happen.

Because we're not yet at the "bad year" stage, we're currently tied for 6th place with 3 other teams. If we're completely out of it by the trade deadline (as in 13-15th place, 12+ points out of 8th) that's when we will see Tatar & Nyquist up. Hell we might even see Nyquist up earlier if things turn sour, Tatar should get games in this year as well.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Green is not bad defensively. He has been quite good defensively for the last two years. After his almost Norris year he really started focusing on blocking shots. I think all the negative press hurt his mojo. He is a very underrated two-way defender with elite offense potential (or history). If it was not for that vespa he would be a great pickup for us. He would be like a better version of Smith.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because we're not yet at the "bad year" stage, we're currently tied for 6th place with 3 other teams. If we're completely out of it by the trade deadline (as in 13-15th place, 12+ points out of 8th) that's when we will see Tatar & Nyquist up. Hell we might even see Nyquist up earlier if things turn sour, Tatar should get games in this year as well.

What if putting tatar and nyquist in the lineup put us in a BETTER position to fight for a playoff spot than our current lineup?

Put tatar and nyquist in and take miller and Cleary out and you have 3 scoring lines instead of 2. Our 3rd line now is terrible compared to years past.

RedWingsNow*

What if putting tatar and nyquist in the lineup put us in a BETTER position to fight for a playoff spot than our current lineup?

Put tatar and nyquist in and take miller and Cleary out and you have 3 scoring lines instead of 2. Our 3rd line now is terrible compared to years past.

Any time your third line is centered by Helm and fourth line by Abdelkader, you're not going to have three scoring lines.

And this is the issue with Helm.

He's one of our best players, but he totally doesn't fit our system. I'd prefer him at wing if he's a third liner

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

:laugh: That's the thing with trades: you've got to give to get. They are absolutely going to rightfully want a high end prospect plus. Jensen has proven nothing and I am a big fan. It's just too much of an uncertainty compared to Smith who is now a roster player or Ouellet and Sproul who are proving themselves to be high end prospects with a much better shot at being NHL'ers inside of 2-3 years.

And no one is going to take Kindl off our hands. The only way you're getting rid of him is if he can be acquired through waivers. No one is trading away a high end offensive defenseman who was recently a Norris finalist for Jakub Kindl.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Green is not bad defensively. He has been quite good defensively for the last two years. After his almost Norris year he really started focusing on blocking shots. I think all the negative press hurt his mojo. He is a very underrated two-way defender with elite offense potential (or history). If it was not for that vespa he would be a great pickup for us. He would be like a better version of Smith.

We've got plenty of defensive defensemen. What we need is an offensive defenseman. Green would fit the bill but as we all know Holland does not trade roster players. So if we are going to acquire Green it will be when he's in his mid 30s as an UFA.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I highly doubt Smid hits UFA, but if he does he should be target number 1 since Edler has been locked up. Except for not being right handed IMO he's what we need a physical, shot blocking, stay at home guy who can play against the opposition's top guys and log big minutes.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
we need a stay at home dman not all these guys who put up offense and blow defensivly brad stuart was a big blow cause thats exactly what we need

You do realize we are averaging less than 1 goal per game against St Louis and Chicago, right? Those are the best teams in the division. Scoring goals is kind of important. I don't see us trading for Green, I just disagree with your claim that we don't need offensive dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad