Speculation: Mike Green: Top Trade Target for Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
According to a team source, the Detroit Red Wings have determined Washington defenseman Mike Green is their top trade target.
The source says the Wings have reached out to the Capitals regarding Green's availability.

The source says Detroit's ultimate wish is to add a veteran right-handed defenseman for the short term, because it feels several of its young defensemen will be NHL-ready after another season in Grand Rapids.
The opportunity in Detroit is ideal for both parties, but there's no need for Washington to hurry into a trade. The source indicated that the longer Washington holds onto Green, more teams will express interest and therefore drive up the Caps' asking price.

Green does have a modified trade clause, though, so the number of teams that can afford his contract and he's willing to go to appears to be a short list, according to the team source.
The source says the Wings would like to move quickly for Green, and are hopeful they can work out a trade soon.

I am a big fan of Green as a player, and what he could bring. As long as the price isn't super steep I would support it. Malik speculated young forward + young prospect + 1st would be the cost. Would hope we could get it done for a little less.

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/source-defenseman-mike-green-is-wings-top-trade-target-070814

MOD's- if you feel this thread is better suited for the free agent thread, go ahead and move it. Figured it would garner a fair amount of discussion, but do what you think is best!

Last edited:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I think we can get Green a bit cheaper than people think due to his injury issues. 1st+Tatar+Kindl would be what I offer.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Kenny's about to compensate for a lack of aggression during free agency by getting fleeced in another trade.

Please no.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't see this one happening either. Supposedly the Caps want a LOT, similar to the Myers situation. Teams are raking the Wings over the coals.

We should just put Kronwall on the market. Pretty sure we could ask for Huberdeau, Ekblad and either Kulikov/Gudbrandson! :sarcasm:

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
I think we can get Green a bit cheaper than people think due to his injury issues. 1st+Tatar+Kindl would be what I offer.

1 year of injury prone, defensive liability Mike Green with no guarantee of re-signing for Tatar+1st? The very definition of an overpayment

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Moves the puck well. Very good skater, with a very good shot. Makes plays in the offensive zone.

He's awful defensively IMO, but he has a very good skill set.

Is the offensive upgrade with MDZ worth the defensive downgrade with him though? Where would he slot in?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
What are Washington's needs? I mean I wouldn't be opposed to it but I dunno if it would be worth it if they really want "A lot" going their way.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

That seems steep for an injury prone UFA to be. Vanek, got Colleberg + a 2nd. Do the extra 50 games or so increase a player's value that much?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What are Washington's needs? I mean I wouldn't be opposed to it but I dunno if it would be worth it if they really want "A lot" going their way.

They have too many D.

They need young forward, mostly centers.

I wonder if Helm + Pulkkinen + 1st/2nd could work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad