Speculation: Mike Babcock fired by the Leafs, should we take him back?

Should we take Babcock back?

• Yes - fire Blashill and bring Babcock back at this season, if Babcock gets fired

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • Yes - keep Blashill for rest of the contract and bring Babcock back later, starting at 2021

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • No - keep Blashill for rest of the contract, and make coaching change at 2021

Votes: 118 41.7%
  • No - fire Blashill and bring in some other coach.

Votes: 118 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He had his chance to come back but he took the money instead. So no.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No thanks to Babcock. Let's be honest, he really doesn't have a great playoff record with good teams. 1 Cup and lots of early losses with still good teams. Not only that, we had him, and Blashill is just another Babcock for the most part, and is stuck in his ways which don't seem to work anymore. After this season, fire Blashill and replace with an outside hire, we have done the inside hire and it isn't that great.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If I were Toronto I d trade Mathews, you can get so much for that punk. Yzerman will make write decision , he knows Babcock so well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That was Don Cherry.

Not sure about Babs.

Babcock likes to stir the pot because of his ego. Things like not letting Modano get to 1500 games (sitting him with just 2 more needed games). He also wanted Spezza in Toronto, and scratches him in his first game against his old club for no other reason then to send a message that a veteran doesn't really need. He does lots of little things like this, which alienate a lot of people.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I wanted DJ Smith here. He was the coach in Windsor who made Boughner look good, won a Memorial Cup as HC in Oshawa, and I believe was the guy in Toronto that kept the team together in spite of Babcock.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wanted DJ Smith here. He was the coach in Windsor who made Boughner look good, won a Memorial Cup as HC in Oshawa, and I believe was the guy in Toronto that kept the team together in spite of Babcock.

Nice.

First name raised up, and not just bashing others, without any alternative options.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No. How about an option to keep jeff Blashill without having a predetermined date to move on from him, e.g. 2021? Just play it by ear. We'll see what happens.

This is where I am. But I am not a fan of bringing Babcock back.

Gronborg or if Lavy loses out in Nashville would be my current choices.

Tirekicker

Dec 30, 2017
Babcock got one Cup out of a bunch of veteran, stacked Wings teams. He's gotten zero playoff series wins out of some young, stacked Leafs teams.

We have a good top line and Filip Hronek.

I dunno that our situation is screaming for a Mike Babcock right now.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I know I'm really late to this party but the other week I fully listened to that radio interview with Mike Commodore where he just went off about Mike Babcock. I read the quotes when they first came out but I never accessed the entire interview.

Hilarious stuff. Not sure how much I believe it but it's not completely unfathomable to imagine Babs as that much of a narcissist.

DeadStop

Jan 16, 2018
No, keep Babs as far away from our prospects as possible. Let Blash see things through with our current roster.

Reactions: mantha39

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
If Babcock was coaching this team our first line would not be playing together and Abdelkader, Helm etc would be getting 17+ minutes a night alongside our best players.

I was watching the Leafs the other day and his player utilization is absolutely laughable. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room playing all these grinders in big situations and it rarely works. He’s not a bad guy by any means but he needs a reality check big time if he wants to stay successful in this league.

Reactions: Gniwder and breuk

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I really wish there was a plain old NO answer. My answer is "No" regardless of what happens with Blashill.

Also, I picked the 3rd choice - make coaching change in 2021 - even though I'd be fine with a coaching change sooner than that. I'm really somewhere between poll choices 3 and 4.

Reactions: TheClap

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I know I'm really late to this party but the other week I fully listened to that radio interview with Mike Commodore where he just went off about Mike Babcock. I read the quotes when they first came out but I never accessed the entire interview.

Hilarious stuff. Not sure how much I believe it but it's not completely unfathomable to imagine Babs as that much of a narcissist.
Commodore is seriously unhinged when it comes to Babcock.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Babcock was a total jerk, but Commodore has been ranting about him for over 7 years now, claiming Babcock ruined his career. It went from entertaining to just sad at this point. Move on dude.

As for the question in the OP, no thanks. It's just not time and though it's not really based on logic, there's more appeal to me in turning over a new leaf than bringing in a guy who's coached the Wings for 10 years. The Wings aren't not Montreal.

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Absolutely not, if he can't hack it with that kind of line-up, he's not going to here.

Babs is/was a good coach, but he always get's more credit than he should imo. His name is boosted thanks to the likes of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

I say give Blash a shot to finish his contract, unlike Babcock, he hasn't had a decent line-up to work with.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Absolutely not, if he can't hack it with that kind of line-up, he's not going to here.

Babs is/was a good coach, but he always get's more credit than he should imo. His name is boosted thanks to the likes of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

I say give Blash a shot to finish his contract, unlike Babcock, he hasn't had a decent line-up to work with.

It's interesting, when somebody's success is never anybody's credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad