Mike Babcock Elite Coach Appreciation thread

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I give Babs a very hard time when it comes to coaching decisions sometimes but......

Given the recent hooplah regarding Hoffman; I completely agree and respect what Babs had said regarding finding the right spouse when it comes to the leafs players

Having being a coach in the NHL for a while; am sure Babs must have seen a lot of this. Good call Babs.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I give Babs a very hard time when it comes to coaching decisions sometimes but......

Given the recent hooplah regarding Hoffman; I completely agree and respect what Babs had said regarding finding the right spouse when it comes to the leafs players

Having being a coach in the NHL for a while; am sure Babs must have seen a lot of this. Good call Babs.

A Mike Babcock approved wife! :laugh: . What if you don't have a wife? Would Mike approve?
What if the wife's name was Doug? :dunno::heart:

Reactions: hotpaws

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
:laugh:

It’s nit just hockey but a very relevant real life advice. Find a right spouse or you suffer lol

I did, 30 years ago, going strong. I forgot to ask Babs though. So much for that theory.

I'm going to guess you made non Babcock approved choices? How many?:sarcasm:

Reactions: PromisedLand

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It only proves that Babcock was the right person to hire given all the rookies on the team.

Reactions: PromisedLand

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I completely agree and respect what Babs had said regarding finding the right spouse when it comes to the leafs players

Are there any coaches advocating that their players should find the wrong spouse?

I just want to be able to compare the results between those two sets of coaching advice before giving Babcock praise on this.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Matthews played all 7 games. Your post made no sense.
Or you misunderstood my words.
I didn't say our best centre though at this juncture it's pretty close. Matthews is easily hands down our most talented centre but Kadri up to know would be the most important one to the team

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Our 30 goal shutdown C is not the most important centre on the team? And Matthews is not our most talented centre?
At best I think you mean it's partially untrue
Matthews is a ppg matchup center and top 10 c in the league. Kadri isn't close to that value

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Matthews is a ppg matchup center and top 10 c in the league. Kadri isn't close to that value
Maybe not in trade but I'm not talking about trade value. I'm talking about what roles they play for our team. Soon Mathews will be in the Kadri role but if you can't see how valuable a player that shuts down the other teams #1 line while scoring massive points is not the most valuable player to the team we will have to agree to disagree

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I keep reading about shutdown centre and I keep shuddering.....this team doesn't need one as constructed. If Babcock puts Kadri against the opposition's best when we have Matthews and Tavares, the opposing coaches will be going thank you dumbass Mike for making my life so much easier.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I've never really had a huge problem with Leaf's coaching until Babcock came around.

I recognized that a lot of our other coaches were doing the best they could with what they had available to them.

I really don't think this is a case of us just hating on a coach for the heck of it. I probably wouldn't be complaining if we had an average coach... or even a slightly below average coach... but Babcock is truly a horrible coach at this point and I have no confidence in him whatsoever.
this bout sums it up for me as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Watched his presser last night. I’m happy that we get to hear Babcock and Dubas. Two very intelligent men who are good with their words and know what they want to do.

Loved how Babcock essentially said that we expect players to improve over the summer but this summer he as a coach needed to look at himself and figure out ways for himself to improve.

I think get the sense he really respects Dubas’ and what he’s done and maybe Dubas has explained that players like Polak and Komarov, while they are “safe” players, they are a net negative to the team because they are in their own zone or they just clear the puck and the other team comes right back in with it or it’s an icing.

He’s put Leivo on the Kadri line to start, and Ennis got put in the “you’re here until Nylander is back” spot, essentially a placeholder.

Sure, I think Leivo will end up on the 4LW while Johnsson is on the 3LW, and probably rightfully so, but right now Babcock is giving Leivo the shot at that spot.

Babcock historically has hated mistakes. Whereas Dubas has a bit of a different opinion. Jake Gardiner for example makes excellent plays 8 or 9 out of 10 times. Some people look at that one or two mistakes out of 10 plays Gardiner make and call him useless and want to get rid of him, while Dubas looks and says “this is a guy that creates a chance for us 80-90% of the time”

A better example might be Polak. Polak generally did two things. He iced the puck or he cleared the puck off the boards/glass and into the neutral zone. Rarely he would make a play and give it to his D partner or one of the forwards. Babcock preciously viewed this as Polak being a safe player. Won’t make any big mistakes, gets the puck out of our zone. Which is why Babcock trusted him so much. However, Dubas likely looks at Polak, and sees a player that just 10-20% of the time makes a play to allow the team to keep possession and exit our zone.

I also really liked how Babcock repeated Dubas’ sentiments that our defense is better than some like to give them credit for. We had two 50 point defensemen last season. There’s only 2 or 3 other teams that can say that.

From an offensive, and puck moving stand point we are very strong from our back end. We need to improve defensively. We didn’t allow a whole lot of goals last season, but ultimately we need to start allowing less shots and controlling shot locations better.

Overall, very happy with everything Babcock had
to say, but ultimately we need words to become action

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Watched his presser last night. I’m happy that we get to hear Babcock and Dubas. Two very intelligent men who are good with their words and know what they want to do.

Loved how Babcock essentially said that we expect players to improve over the summer but this summer he as a coach needed to look at himself and figure out ways for himself to improve.

I think get the sense he really respects Dubas’ and what he’s done and maybe Dubas has explained that players like Polak and Komarov, while they are “safe” players, they are a net negative to the team because they are in their own zone or they just clear the puck and the other team comes right back in with it or it’s an icing.

He’s put Leivo on the Kadri line to start, and Ennis got put in the “you’re here until Nylander is back” spot, essentially a placeholder.

Sure, I think Leivo will end up on the 4LW while Johnsson is on the 3LW, and probably rightfully so, but right now Babcock is giving Leivo the shot at that spot.

Babcock historically has hated mistakes. Whereas Dubas has a bit of a different opinion. Jake Gardiner for example makes excellent plays 8 or 9 out of 10 times. Some people look at that one or two mistakes out of 10 plays Gardiner make and call him useless and want to get rid of him, while Dubas looks and says “this is a guy that creates a chance for us 80-90% of the time”

A better example might be Polak. Polak generally did two things. He iced the puck or he cleared the puck off the boards/glass and into the neutral zone. Rarely he would make a play and give it to his D partner or one of the forwards. Babcock preciously viewed this as Polak being a safe player. Won’t make any big mistakes, gets the puck out of our zone. Which is why Babcock trusted him so much. However, Dubas likely looks at Polak, and sees a player that just 10-20% of the time makes a play to allow the team to keep possession and exit our zone.

I also really liked how Babcock repeated Dubas’ sentiments that our defense is better than some like to give them credit for. We had two 50 point defensemen last season. There’s only 2 or 3 other teams that can say that.

From an offensive, and puck moving stand point we are very strong from our back end. We need to improve defensively. We didn’t allow a whole lot of goals last season, but ultimately we need to start allowing less shots and controlling shot locations better.

Overall, very happy with everything Babcock had
to say, but ultimately we need words to become action

over/under on October Freddie showing up this season? or does he turn a new Leaf?

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad