Mikael Backlund vs Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Backlund or RNH

• Total voters

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Backlund isn't just slightly better defensively. Fun fact: Only one player in the entire league since 2014-2015 took more difficult competition and more Dzone starts than Backlund produced more points than him, Patrice Bergeron (Although Barkov is getting there). Nuge during that time takes very difficult competition, but actually more Ozone starts than Dzone and finishes more often in the Dzone, and barely outproduced Backlund during that time frame. Backlund is in another stratosphere defensively.
just because usage was different doesn't mean skill is different.
I will respectfully disagree with your another stratosphere defensively opinion.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Based on the past 2 seasons Backlund. Going forward I'm taking Nuge. He looks like he found his game again and if he puts up a 60P+ season I'd value him higher. RNH playing the way he is is much more dynamic offensively, while Backlund is better defensively. Both really good 2C.

Reactions: Skobel24

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
just because usage was different doesn't mean skill is different.
I will respectfully disagree with your another stratosphere defensively opinion.

It's not just usage, it's also results. If both have similar results, then yes they're much closer. But when RNH is on the ice, his team allows more chances and more goals, and RNH actually takes more Ozone starts than McDavid's line, albeit harder competition.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
That's good to know. Because Backlund still happens to take far more difficult competition and excel in every stat, whether SA/60, CA/60, SCA/60, GA/60, etc. He starts less than 40% in the Ozone as well. Not even Selke level beasts like Kopitar, Toews, ROR, Kesler, etc. take as difficult competition or zone matchups as Backlund does. And in terms of stats they are only better offensively, Backlund still produces better defensive stats than all mentioned.

How many posts saying the same thing do you need to make in one thread?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Backlund has forged himself as a good 2nd line center whereas RNH has been on the bottom tier of 3rd line centers for a very long time.

Pretty easy vote for me.

I don't think RNH has ever been a 3rd line center. Until this year, I'd say he was a solid 2nd line guy.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think RNH gets a lot of underserved flack because he was a #1OA pick. Had he been a 10th OA, I think he'd be highly rated as one of the best 2Cs in the league.

He is finally breaking out offensively and has a very good two-way game.
Backlund is also pretty underrated in my opinion, but due to age and I believe the gap in offense is larger than that of defense. So I voted RNH but its close.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
The better player is easily Backlund.

While RNH has better offensive capabilities (even though Backlund has outscored him by 23 points over the last 2 seasons), Backlund is MUCH better defensively and is an absolute possession monster whereas RNH is not.

Really no argument to be had for RNH.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If Nuge keeps up this year than its him easily but we have seen him play when he doesnt make anything happen and for that reason i voted Backlund

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The better player is easily Backlund.

While RNH has better offensive capabilities (even though Backlund has outscored him by 23 points over the last 2 seasons), Backlund is MUCH better defensively and is an absolute possession monster whereas RNH is not.

Really no argument to be had for RNH.

To be fair RNH only played 55 games in 2015-2016. But yeah Backlund's significantly superior defensive capabilities outweights RNH's slightly better offense.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It really isn't though. I'll keep the younger more skilled player, thanks.

You must have reading problems.

It doesn't matter who is younger. It's about who's the better player. Right now. At this very moment. Not in the future. Like right now. This very second.

There's no argument for RNH and for a "skilled player" being outscored by 23 points the last 2 seasons doesn't sound all that great

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
You must have reading problems.

It doesn't matter who is younger. It's about who's the better player. Right now. At this very moment. Not in the future. Like right now. This very second.

There's no argument for RNH and for a "skilled player" being outscored by 23 points the last 2 seasons doesn't sound all that great

You must have anger issues. I think RNH is the better player. Right now. At this very moment. He's also more talented and versatile. Oh did I mention he's also younger with a higher ceiling? RNH has also scored more points in less games in his career and had multiple seasons better than Backlund's best totals..Hes even better on the faceoff as well. I'll keep him, thanks.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
You must have anger issues. I think RNH is the better player. Right now. At this very moment. He's also more talented and versatile. Oh did I mention he's also younger with a higher ceiling? RNH has also scored more points in less games in his career and had multiple seasons better than Backlund's best totals.. I'll keep him, thanks.

I love how despite everything, you still fail to see the question the OP is asking. RNH IS younger and more talented. And RNH DID have a couple great seasons compared to Backlund. Unfortunately for you, we're not including the past or future. The question is asking of TODAY, who is the better player. Not who has been the better player, or who will be the better player going forward.

The better player, right now, is Backlund. There's no argument for RNH. But please feel free to try and provide one

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I love how despite everything, you still fail to see the question the OP is asking. RNH IS younger and more talented. And RNH DID have a couple great seasons compared to Backlund. Unfortunately for you, we're not including the past or future. The question is asking of TODAY, who is the better player. Not who has been the better player, or who will be the better player going forward.

The better player, right now, is Backlund. There's no argument for RNH. But please feel free to try and provide one
Odd that you say "not who has been the better player" after bringing up their stats over the past 2 seasons. It appears you're even confused what the threads asking.

If we're asking who has been better in this very short start to the season, its definitely Nuge. Thats a pretty dumb discussion point though given the small sample size.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Backlund isn't just slightly better defensively. Fun fact: Only one player in the entire league since 2014-2015 took more difficult competition and more Dzone starts than Backlund produced more points than him, Patrice Bergeron (Although Barkov is getting there). Nuge during that time takes very difficult competition, but actually more Ozone starts than Dzone and finishes more often in the Dzone, and barely outproduced Backlund during that time frame. Backlund is in another stratosphere defensively.

That’s not a fair comparison at all nuge was 21 when that period started and is a completely different player now then he was at 21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad