Mikael Backlund vs Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Backlund or RNH

• Total voters

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Voted Backlund.

His offense is similar but his shutdown ability is significantly better and he has literally saved NHL careers by elevating the players who play on his line.

RNH is a bit younger though so he could take another step similar to what Backlund did.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think RNH is pretty underrated nowadays. Hes a very good player.

I think one of his faults is that he has been asked to play a role which I dont specifically think plays to his strength. But because hes a good guy, he has tried to do what the coaching staff asks of him.

I think hes better offensively than hes shown in the last few years. The coaching staff has allowed him to take more risks this year. Hes been very good this year.

I dont watch enough flames games to know Backlund game inside and out.

I think RNH has better offensively capabilities where as I think Backlund has better defensively capabilities.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
It's very close imo.
Nuge has slightly offence and Backs has slightly better defense.
Both play shutdown roles, PK and PP.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nuge. His offensive skill is far superior, and his defensive ability is pretty damn good even though it isn't as good as Backlund's. Both are good middle six wingers - but if I'm a team I'm comfortable with Nuge as my 2C and would prefer Backlund as my 3C.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'd take RNH. RNH on an average year = Backlund on a career year offensively.

Defensively, RNH has taken a big step forward and regularly plays against top competition on the road

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Good comparison, imo they both have a very similar impact on games while looking quite different doing it. Too close to call for me.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It's very close imo.
Nuge has slightly offence and Backs has slightly better defense.
Both play shutdown roles, PK and PP.

Backlund isn't just slightly better defensively. Fun fact: Only one player in the entire league since 2014-2015 took more difficult competition and more Dzone starts than Backlund produced more points than him, Patrice Bergeron (Although Barkov is getting there). Nuge during that time takes very difficult competition, but actually more Ozone starts than Dzone and finishes more often in the Dzone, and barely outproduced Backlund during that time frame. Backlund is in another stratosphere defensively.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd take RNH. RNH on an average year = Backlund on a career year offensively.

Defensively, RNH has taken a big step forward and regularly plays against top competition on the road

That's good to know. Because Backlund still happens to take far more difficult competition and excel in every stat, whether SA/60, CA/60, SCA/60, GA/60, etc. He starts less than 40% in the Ozone as well. Not even Selke level beasts like Kopitar, Toews, ROR, Kesler, etc. take as difficult competition or zone matchups as Backlund does. And in terms of stats they are only better offensively, Backlund still produces better defensive stats than all mentioned.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I don't think I even know who Backlund was when he was RNH's age
You probably didnt know who gaudreau when he was yakupovs age, what kinda argument is that? Player gets better at different rates, nuge looked like elite 1st line center to me during his first year and look what happened. Op asked who is better, backlund is better rn but nuge closed the gap this year

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That's good to know. Because Backlund still happens to take far more difficult competition and excel in every stat, whether SA/60, CA/60, SCA/60, GA/60, etc. He starts less than 40% in the Ozone as well. Not even Selke level beasts like Kopitar, Toews, ROR, Kesler, etc. take as difficult competition or zone matchups as Backlund does. And in terms of stats they are only better offensively, Backlund still produces better defensive stats than all mentioned.

and how much is that due to having a much better defensive core then the Oilers?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
and how much is that due to having a much better defensive core then the Oilers?

Flames forwards outside of 3M line aren't that good defensively. Defensive core helps, but at the same time I'm not just talking about being much better in raw stats, I'm also talking about relative. Defensive core's affect on relative is much less than on raw.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Flames forwards outside of 3M line aren't that good defensively. Defensive core helps, but at the same time I'm not just talking about being much better in raw stats, I'm also talking about relative. Defensive core's affect on relative is much less than on raw.
well no wonder Backlund needs to take so many defensive draws...and for a defensive demon, you'd think he'd be better on the face-off dot (best season 48.3%)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think Backlund has forged himself as a good 2nd line center whereas RNH has been on the bottom tier of 3rd line centers for a very long time.

Pretty easy vote for me.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Both are criminally underrated two way centres.

I'll take Backlund. 4th in Selke voting last year and off to another good start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad