3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
@EdJovanovski probably cornered the entire Kravtsov jersey market.

It would just end up being a ploy for him to get paid more for a jersey he already owns only to get it back as his prize

1714959370108.png

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Laf hasn't been as hot as he was in the regular season and I'd like to see him pick it up, but he does have a few goals that he created with his work. The Panarin goal tonite and the one where he checked the guy in the o-zone and stole the puck come to mind.

To me, there's only one national TV announcer that ever made it feel like the playoffs.

Yeah but are you too young to remember Gary Thorne?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I guess I’m one of the “haters”.

The problem I had with him was the non stop screeching, like nails on a chalkboard. Also, the wordsmithing. His voice got so high and pitchy that my wife couldn’t watch games with me.

And while he wasn’t that biased, Pierre and Eddie certainly were, and made the broadcasts barely tolerable.

Agreed. Coming off the Gary Thorne years, this is how I felt.

I now can look back and realize that I actually had it good with Doc, because McDonough is trash.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
Team is laser focused right now. I am LOVING what I am seeing. We legitimately outplayed the Canes. That one Canes goal was an absurd lucky deflection. Outside of that we controlled them entirely and got through the ending when they were desperate.
Fox: horrid game. He is clearly hurt and having difficulty skating. That Necas goal was brutal and then his icing at the end of the game was so bad and lead to the goal.
Mika: I have been hard on him but he is lights out right now. Playing well in all areas of his game.
Laf: No idea what you guys are talking about. Passenger? His work lead directly to the game winning goal and came at a key time when the canes had scored to make it 3-2. He had a strong scoring opportunity in the first and he hit the post at one point too. 5 assists in 5 games. Some great backchecking today too. He just hasn't had any go in yet but I'm confident he will eventually.
Rempe: He is very obviously a marked man and this is concerning. The call was BS but eventually it's going to cost us a game.
Lav: The coaching we are seeing right now is exactly what we have needed. We were prepared today. It's so satisfying to see. The team has never seemed so focused before.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
View attachment 865643

Laughable.

I can't fathom watching that game (not following it on a spreadsheet) and thinking that the Hurricanes deserved to win and it not even be close (65% of the time isn't "close").

Just a laughable output. Analytics are useful but outputs like this show how sub-par certain representations of the game can be.
There's actually a simple explanation for this game.

MoneyPuck, unlike most analytics websites, does take special teams into account on their Deserve-To-Win O'Meter.

The Hurricanes beat us on overall xG including powerplays because 1) they had like 10,000 more powerplays than we did and 2) our powerplays ended in 27 seconds combined because we scored.

For the purposes of building up chances, powerplays were effectively 5-0.

Nobody who follows analytics actually thinks the Hurricanes were better in that game because they weren't. It's a sample error from unequal opportunity and two quick goals.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's actually a simple explanation for this game.

MoneyPuck, unlike most analytics websites, does take special teams into account on their Deserve-To-Win O'Meter.

The Hurricanes beat us on overall xG including powerplays because 1) they had like 10,000 more powerplays than we did and 2) our powerplays ended in 27 seconds combined because we scored.

Nobody who follows analytics actually thinks the Hurricanes were better in that game because they weren't. It's a sample error from unequal opportunity and two quick goals.

This sounds like they should fix their model to reflect this. Scoring quickly on a PP and being penalized for it in a model is . . . something.

It'd be one thing if it was like 52% CAR. It's pretty damn cringe to see it quite a bit worse than that.

It's even still ticking up. Now it's at 65.9%, lol.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This sounds like they should fix their model to reflect this. Scoring quickly on a PP and being penalized for it in a model is . . . something.

It'd be one thing if it was like 52% CAR. It's pretty damn cringe to see it quite a bit worse than that.
It's a really hard thing to adjust for.

Powerplays build scoring chances like crazy.

When you score in 10 seconds, you had one scoring chance and the powerplay is over.

It's just one of those things where you still have to view the game to get full context.

Reactions: Synergy27

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Gary is great but I don't have many fond memories of Gary because the Rangers sucked when he was big.

His call on the Kariya goal is the best of all-time though.
His calling of Rangers Canucks in 94 is basically why I’m a Rangers fan.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's a really hard thing to adjust for.

Powerplays build scoring chances like crazy.

When you score in 10 seconds, you had one scoring chance and the powerplay is over.

It's just one of those things where you still have to view the game to get full context.

Just seems to me to be a major flaw. When I see objectively stupid results like that, I question the underlying model. Not the first time I've seen MP's result output be unspeakably dumb.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
View attachment 865643

Laughable.

I can't fathom watching that game (not following it on a spreadsheet) and thinking that the Hurricanes deserved to win and it not even be close (65% of the time isn't "close").

Just a laughable output. Analytics are useful but outputs like this show how sub-par certain representations of the game can be.

It keeps getting dumber and worse every time it reloads.

Image 5-5-24 at 10.25 PM.jpeg

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just seems to me to be a major flaw. When I see objectively stupid results like that, I question the underlying model. Not the first time I've seen MP's result output be unspeakably dumb.
It is a major flaw and it's just something unique to hockey.

Baseball, different world. Basketball has a massive sample size. In football, you can just accumulate yards, so its not "bad" to do it quickly as far as the measure goes. Soccer just isn't this fast.

Scoring quickly and missing out on the scoring chances in the build up can definitely throw analytics out of whack.

That's why there's goal-based models and Valiquette's type of metrics where he weights great chances more heavily over a bunch of solid ones.
So basically we go 2 for 2 on the PP in an eyeblink and they go 0 for 5 and that somehow helps the analytics and dweebs look at that and say "see we should have won this game". LMAO.
Certain people will say that. They're wrong. It's another one of the reasons analytics people like to look at 5v5. That's not to say you ignore special teams. Again, you have to have the context of the game to make a fair judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad