Mighty Ducks Next Owner Will Keep Team in Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=3&cset=true

The Walt Disney Co. has whittled the list of potential buyers for the Mighty Ducks to two, a source familiar with the negotiations said Thursday.

Among the bidders is H and S Ventures, which handles investments for Henry Samueli, whose company, Anaheim Arena Management, runs the Arrowhead Pond. The other bidder has so far remained unidentified, but the source said it was not a group led by Howard Baldwin, former owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Disney officials are believed to have canceled a scheduled meeting with Baldwin two weeks ago.

The sale price is expected to range from $55 million to $65 million.

Both potential buyers on Disney's list are expected to keep the team in Anaheim, the source said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baldwin was the one who had an idea about moving the team to Kansas City. He is out of the picture now.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=3&cset=true

The Walt Disney Co. has whittled the list of potential buyers for the Mighty Ducks to two, a source familiar with the negotiations said Thursday.

Among the bidders is H and S Ventures, which handles investments for Henry Samueli, whose company, Anaheim Arena Management, runs the Arrowhead Pond. The other bidder has so far remained unidentified, but the source said it was not a group led by Howard Baldwin, former owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Disney officials are believed to have canceled a scheduled meeting with Baldwin two weeks ago.

Both potential buyers on Disney's list are expected to keep the team in Anaheim, the source said.

Baldwin was the one who had an idea about moving the team to Kansas City. He is out of the picture now.

Are you sure there's potential owners ? Did they look at the NON-DISCLOSURE ''books'' or the ''Levitt Books'' ?

It just can't be POSSIBLE that there's some owners willing to be in the NHL after losing so much millions down the road
:shakehead & with 2 bankrupcies not because the owners was not putting the money in the hockey team but because the hockey team was so bad :shakehead

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
"Expected" being the operative word here, who is expecting the new owner to keep the team in Anaheim? I doubt there's any way Disney would insist that they keep the team there and make that a part of the agreement, as that would hurt the valuation of the team signifigantly. Anyone expecting things to stay the same is fooling themselves.

I know Ducks fans probably don't want to hear it, but the likelihood of the team moving is high. At the very least they will cease being the "Mighty Ducks" as I am doubtful Disney will be including that trademark as a part of the deal.

As for why anyone would anyone buy a team now -- it's all a matter of economics. Buy low, sell high -- it's a buyers market right now and they're probably saving $20M on this deal right now. It makes perfect sense to buy now as long as there are no serious restrictions -- it only makes sense to sell now if you're desperate or want to get out of the market. Disney has enough problems as it is...

jb**

McDonald19 said:

How unfortunate, there is no market for this team in anaheim, their attendence is very poor, they are one of the teams that are killing the nhl

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
McDonald19 said:

NHL wont approve the sale. They've said before that Anaheim won't sell for that little amount money - the NHL would much rather buy the team full price from Di$ney, then resell it.

Ducks change hands to NHL, NHL sells to Baldwin. Check, and mate. Your new Kansas City Scouts

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
If the Arrowhead pond buys the Mighty Ducks it will be a win-win situation, because theres no way they are going to move the team with the arena owning them, and then they will control all hockey revenues, and any new owners know there will probably be cost cetainty when the NHL comes back, so it has the potential to become a cash cow.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
futurcorerock said:
NHL wont approve the sale. They've said before that Anaheim won't sell for that little amount money - the NHL would much rather buy the team full price from Di$ney, then resell it.

Ducks change hands to NHL, NHL sells to Baldwin. Check, and mate. Your new Kansas City Scouts

Actually, it is my belief that the whole "buy-out" clause was developed by the NHL to keep Baldwin from buying the Ducks. Witness what he did in Pittsburgh, having him throw another team in economic turmoil would be bad for NHL business.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but notice that Baldwin was the front-runner, then these NHL purchase thing got leaked and now he's not mentioned as one of the top guys.
Also from the sounds of it, Arrowhead Pond drastically improved their bid. Hopefully, they are sucessful.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
futurcorerock said:

Please don't name them the Scouts. That just sounds lame.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
kolanos said:
I doubt there's any way Disney would insist that they keep the team there and make that a part of the agreement, as that would hurt the valuation of the team signifigantly.

I don't have a link because I'm going off of memory, so maybe a local resident can help me out here. But, I'm pretty sure Disney has stated before that they intend to sell the team to only someone who will keep the team in Anaheim. While Disney wants out of the hockey business, they want pro sports to stay in Anaheim. Disney's efforts have been to make Anaheim a destination city, as opposed to just another Los Angeles suburb. While I'm sure if there was no one interested in the team who would keep them in Anaheim, they would look elsewhere, it makes sense to a company that has such a vested interest in the city that they look to do their best to keep the team there. Of course, nothing is a guarantee.

It would be the best case senario if Arrowhead Pond wins out here.

jb said:
How unfortunate, there is no market for this team in anaheim, their attendence is very poor, they are one of the teams that are killing the nhl

How unfortunate, you're spouting off while appearing to have little knowledge about the market. This supposedly non-market had regular sell-outs in the 90's, and attendance did not start to fall off until Disney proved completely unwilling to put together a competitive team for their two stars. There are few markets in North America who would have seen continued sell outs with that sort of management. The market has the population, the income, and the corporate support needed for a team, and it enjoys hockey. You only need to look to the Angels turn-around to see how successful pro sports can be in Anaheim. The Pond has been sold out before for hockey, and with good management and a competitive franchise they will be again. But, hey...that have a **** name, so lets cut them anyways.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The facts are this team has been very successfull money wise in the past and once the stupid lame name became a joke adult fans felt embarrassed to cheer this team.
Also the Disney reputation for being cheapskates didnt help. New owner + New tougher name + lower ticket prices = success for this franchise

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It would be ok if it was just Ducks. Just call them the Anaheim Ducks. Everyone calls the New York Knickerbockers the Knicks, and the Portland Trailblazers, the Blazers and the Oakland Athletics the A's. Just call them the Ducks and have everything say the Ducks and have everything be the Ducks and for the love of God change the color scheme, we don't like the pastel colors. Purple can work, but don't put it with Teal. It's almost worse than making a team wear pink.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
It would be ok if it was just Ducks. Just call them the Anaheim Ducks. Everyone calls the New York Knickerbockers the Knicks, and the Portland Trailblazers, the Blazers and the Oakland Athletics the A's. Just call them the Ducks and have everything say the Ducks and have everything be the Ducks and for the love of God change the color scheme, we don't like the pastel colors. Purple can work, but don't put it with Teal. It's almost worse than making a team wear pink.

I agree for the most part. Keeping the team as "Ducks" will keep name recognition in the market, as well as making the team image a bit more respectable. The jerseys need to change as well. I very much enjoyed the color scheme of their black third jersey. If they can work a new logo into that scheme, that'd be the basis for a solid home jersey.

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
If they can work a new logo into that scheme, that'd be the basis for a solid home jersey.

Too similar to LA's. It was bad enough that the 3rd jersey was nearly a rip-off, making them their regular uniforms would be far worse.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
AHL MV said:
Too similar to LA's. It was bad enough that the 3rd jersey was nearly a rip-off, making them their regular uniforms would be far worse.

Though I wouldn't say it was a near rip off, you are right in saying it would be too similar to make it a regular uni. Didn't consider that.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Did you see the sale price?

Russian Fan said:
Are you sure there's potential owners ? Did they look at the NON-DISCLOSURE ''books'' or the ''Levitt Books'' ?

It just can't be POSSIBLE that there's some owners willing to be in the NHL after losing so much millions down the road
:shakehead & with 2 bankrupcies not because the owners was not putting the money in the hockey team but because the hockey team was so bad :shakehead

They are selling the team for $60 million dollars!

Thats one years costs.

That would be deemed a fire sale.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Disneyland is in Anaheim, right? I highly doubt that a company of that size would take the community hit of losing a team merely to get a relatively small amount more in a sale. And losing any team is a hit to a community.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Russian Fan said:

Did you bother to read the article? Did you notice for how much the Ducks are rumored to be sold for? You do know that the common tip in dealing with business is "buy low, sell high" and that is exactly what is happening here.
But I guess you are too ignorant to realize that. You gotta spend money to make money. But you can't lose money and keep losing it and try to use bandages to try to stop gaping wounds.
Why do I have to bother explaining this, it's common knowledge. But then again someone with jaded logic can't put two and two together.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ziggy Stardust said:
Did you bother to read the article? Did you notice for how much the Ducks are rumored to be sold for? You do know that the common tip in dealing with business is "buy low, sell high" and that is exactly what is happening here.
But I guess you are too ignorant to realize that. You gotta spend money to make money. But you can't lose money and keep losing it and try to use bandages to try to stop gaping wounds.
Why do I have to bother explaining this, it's common knowledge. But then again someone with jaded logic can't put two and two together.

Hey stop with the Jaded logic and two and two cracks . . . ;)

Interesting that you mention the buy low thoughts. It is a big part of an article saying how Houston Texas wants an NHL franchise:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3055092

Old Hickory

Jaded-Fan said:
Disneyland is in Anaheim, right? I highly doubt that a company of that size would take the community hit of losing a team merely to get a relatively small amount more in a sale. And losing any team is a hit to a community.
Disneyland is in Anaheim. Disney's executive offices are in Burbank which is in LA County

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
I don't have a link because I'm going off of memory, so maybe a local resident can help me out here. But, I'm pretty sure Disney has stated before that they intend to sell the team to only someone who will keep the team in Anaheim. While Disney wants out of the hockey business, they want pro sports to stay in Anaheim. Disney's efforts have been to make Anaheim a destination city, as opposed to just another Los Angeles suburb.

Disney and the city of Anaheim have built up a lot of good will over the past half-century or more. The company has always been rather curiously proud of being associated with Anaheim, while everyone else always tries to avoid association with the city even when they're there (like the Angels, Rams, etc). They're not going to blow all that goodwill just to save themselves a few tens of millions in the short term. The company has always been big on the concept of synergy.

How unfortunate, you're spouting off while appearing to have little knowledge about the market. This supposedly non-market had regular sell-outs in the 90's, and attendance did not start to fall off until Disney proved completely unwilling to put together a competitive team for their two stars. There are few markets in North America who would have seen continued sell outs with that sort of management.

More basic than that, there just aren't any places left to go. All the really big markets are taken, so what's left are towns that will support a team enthusiastically but are limited economically, or cities where economics are good but hockey support is uncertain.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
kolanos said:
I know Ducks fans probably don't want to hear it, but the likelihood of the team moving is high.

The group that is very likely to buy the Ducks is the one that already runs the Arrowhead Pond. So they will keep the Ducks in the pond ice a low salary team turn a profit with the luxury boxes, concessions, parking, etc. They will have no reason to move the team.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
futurcorerock said:

:lol: :lol:

NHL will approve it.

Baldwin's highest bid was in the 50-60 million range, so your going to have to find someone else to get you a team in Kansas City.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
kenabnrmal said:
I don't have a link because I'm going off of memory, so maybe a local resident can help me out here. But, I'm pretty sure Disney has stated before that they intend to sell the team to only someone who will keep the team in Anaheim. While Disney wants out of the hockey business, they want pro sports to stay in Anaheim. Disney's efforts have been to make Anaheim a destination city, as opposed to just another Los Angeles suburb. While I'm sure if there was no one interested in the team who would keep them in Anaheim, they would look elsewhere, it makes sense to a company that has such a vested interest in the city that they look to do their best to keep the team there. Of course, nothing is a guarantee.

It would be the best case senario if Arrowhead Pond wins out here.

How unfortunate, you're spouting off while appearing to have little knowledge about the market. This supposedly non-market had regular sell-outs in the 90's, and attendance did not start to fall off until Disney proved completely unwilling to put together a competitive team for their two stars. There are few markets in North America who would have seen continued sell outs with that sort of management. The market has the population, the income, and the corporate support needed for a team, and it enjoys hockey. You only need to look to the Angels turn-around to see how successful pro sports can be in Anaheim. The Pond has been sold out before for hockey, and with good management and a competitive franchise they will be again. But, hey...that have a **** name, so lets cut them anyways.

:handclap: good post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad