OT: Might be moving to Calgary

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
So, I might be moving to Calgary with my girlfriend in a month to a couple of months, not really sure of the exact timeline yet... But, which area(s) would be good for a first time resident of the city that are safe, but relatively inexpensive? A good location is good too if possible. I've traveled to Calgary before, but never stayed long-term.

And what should I expect to (reasonably) pay for a bachelor apartment in said area per month? The cheaper the better, but I obviously don't want to be living in a dump.

I look forward to seeing what you guys and gals have to say.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I lived in Calgary for 5 years and I really enjoyed living in the Beddington area; tight little community where rent was fairly decent, shopping centres close by for groceries and whatever else, nearby Mac's and even a BP and a few other restaurants, not far from parks (namely Nosehill) and indoor AND outdoor rinks, all pretty much between Center St. -- which is on a convenient express bus route downtown if you don't drive, but also very easy to access to the Deerfoot (and the Airport, which is also quite close) -- and 14 St. NW, which gives easy access to 16th Ave NW (the TransCanada) and also leads downtown. Also bear in mind that Calgary has a most excellent C-train transit system, which has improved since I left with a line going west now; I always found there to be very few places in Calgary not accessible by C-Train alone (with perhaps with a short walk), and at the very most, you're maybe taking one other bus from one of the LRT stations. Anyways, very easy to get around.. and we found Beddington the perfect combination of being far enough away to not feel like DT, with the convenience of nearby amenities. Depending on which part of Beddington, there are definitely some deals on rent to be had. Quiet enough and safe if you have kids, while still offering some semblance of night life with the neighbourhood pubs, bars and restaurants, Beddington definitely gets my vote. Good luck, and enjoy Calgary! :yo:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was raised in Huntington Hills and Thorncliffe, that's my old hood (adjacent to Beddington).

In regards to the OP, how close to downtown do you want to be? Are you buying or renting, if buying how much do you want to spend?

I'll tell you now, stay from away from the N.E. and from Forest Lawn.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I was raised in Huntington Hills and Thorncliffe, that's my old hood (adjacent to Beddington).

In regards to the OP, how close to downtown do you want to be? Are you buying or renting, if buying how much do you want to spend?

Yeah, I'd imagine Huntington Hills and Thorncliffe offer pretty much what Beddington does.. Pretty good area in general. I forgot about the added bonus of 4th street as an escape route during busy times when Center St. And 14th are both jammed.. Just never seemed as busy down 4th for some reason lol

Also, in regards to both Johnny and the OP: If you're not particularly fussy on the neighbourhood, and are more concerned with saving some coin, there are areas in Forest Lawn that will come fairly cheap and are absolutely fine; it's reputation sort of precedes itself as being rougher around the edges as it were, but there are people who represent a decent community there, as well as in neighbouring communities Dover and "Erinhoods" .. Fwiw, some of the best people I ever met from Calgary lived in Forest Lawn. Don't get me wrong; if poop goes down, it's often in either Marlboro or FL.. but I worked up in the Lawn for a period, and personally quite enjoyed the excursion lol

One area I was always fond of and thought might be relatively easy to find something for a decent price is around Inglewood; sorta hipster, but there's a great stretch of unique little businesses down 16th ave. I used to love heading down there for the occasional stroll.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010

We will be renting. Proximity to downtown is not our highest priority, but that's not saying that we wouldn't rent closer to downtown if an area happens to appeal to us. I mean, I would prefer closer to downtown to be quite honest, but like I said it's not the highest priority.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I grew up in Upper North Haven which is adjacent to Thorncliffe/Huntington area, and close to Beddington. Lower North Haven has a fair bit of rental properties, and you can get downtown via 14th St in less than 10 minutes if traffic is decent. Avoid Forest Lawn, Dover, Marlborough.

Johnny, Wheels - I wouldn't be surprised if any of us have crossed path at some point in the last ~10 years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I grew up in Upper North Haven which is adjacent to Thorncliffe/Huntington area, and close to Beddington. Lower North Haven has a fair bit of rental properties, and you can get downtown via 14th St in less than 10 minutes if traffic is decent. Avoid Forest Lawn, Dover, Marlborough.

Johnny, Wheels - I wouldn't be surprised if any of us have crossed path at some point in the last ~10 years.

From grade 5 on, I lived in West Thorncliffe, the other side of the bus trap from North Haven, crazy :laugh:

I went to St. Hubert, St. Helenas, and St. Francis (go Browns).

@ Shootingrubber, if you don't mind a little commute, I'd suggest Panorama. The North is cheaper than the south, Panorama is a really nice, newer area, close to a massive shopping complex with a Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Movie Theatre, and tons of others shops, restaurants and pubs. It's also very close to Deerfoot and Stoney Tr. The only kicker, it's quite far from downtown.

Currently I live in Tuxedo, which I love. I'm 7 minutes from downtown, right by Center street. Lots of rental apartments are nearby, and access to Deerfoot is also close. Lots of schools, transit, and shopping is close by. However rent is more, but I love the area. The further you go from downtown, the more prices drop, so somewhere in the middle may be ideal (Beddington/Thorncliffe would fit this category). Rent is very hard to find though, so best of luck in your search.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I just oved to Erin Woods near Dover in July, but for the last 4 years I was living in Beddington, it's a decent area. Rent is going up there compared to what it used to be, but it isn't horrible. Not the friendliest community, but not rude or anything. Lots of Asians in the area, it seems to be a popular area for those cultures, because they can take one bus right to chinatown and such.

Silver Springs in the NW isn't too bad either. A little loud sometimes, but it's close to Crowfoot, which has a ton of amenities and the Ctrain station, and theres tons of good stores and things around there.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I lived 4 years in Charleswood area (By Brentwood)

Absolutely zero complaints. Easy to get around (16th, mcknight, crowfoot just a few blocks away). Older community which is relatively quiet, close to U of C, and a walk to the C-Train station which was great for having pre-gamers then going to the Flames game/downtown.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I lived 4 years in Charleswood area (By Brentwood)

Absolutely zero complaints. Easy to get around (16th, mcknight, crowfoot just a few blocks away). Older community which is relatively quiet, close to U of C, and a walk to the C-Train station which was great for having pre-gamers then going to the Flames game/downtown.

Whenever I'd go to the Hitmen games (Can't afford Flames), I'd bus from Beddington to Brentwood, go to Kilkenny's, get a bit tipsy, and train to the game. Was great times

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Whenever I'd go to the Hitmen games (Can't afford Flames), I'd bus from Beddington to Brentwood, go to Kilkenny's, get a bit tipsy, and train to the game. Was great times

Ah Kilkenny's was my stomping ground for a bit.

Back when they used to have flames specials... 50 bucks for 2 tickets, 2 pints, a pound of wings, and a bus to and from the game. It was 50 for any game that was available until the next year when they jacked their prices up.

Such an amazing deal and was absolutely the best year ever lol.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
From grade 5 on, I lived in West Thorncliffe, the other side of the bus trap from North Haven, crazy :laugh:

I went to St. Hubert, St. Helenas, and St. Francis (go Browns).

@ Shootingrubber, if you don't mind a little commute, I'd suggest Panorama. The North is cheaper than the south, Panorama is a really nice, newer area, close to a massive shopping complex with a Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Movie Theatre, and tons of others shops, restaurants and pubs. It's also very close to Deerfoot and Stoney Tr. The only kicker, it's quite far from downtown.

Currently I live in Tuxedo, which I love. I'm 7 minutes from downtown, right by Center street. Lots of rental apartments are nearby, and access to Deerfoot is also close. Lots of schools, transit, and shopping is close by. However rent is more, but I love the area. The further you go from downtown, the more prices drop, so somewhere in the middle may be ideal (Beddington/Thorncliffe would fit this category). Rent is very hard to find though, so best of luck in your search.

Tom Baines and Sir Winston Churchill. (go Bulldogs!) :)

Weird hearing everyone from roughly the same area! I'm from MacEwan just west of Sandstone near Beddington. Regarding the OP, I would also recommend looking at Beddington for the reasons stated above. Great location and decent rent.

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
I grew up and Kensington, and while I would recommend that to you, I won't, since now it's bloody expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I grew up and Kensington, and while I would recommend that to you, I won't, since now it's bloody expensive.

Kensington would've been a cool little area to live in; close proximity to DT, C-train is right there, tons of shopping.. but yes, very hipster lol and I can definitely see it being fairly expensive. Sigh, all this Calgary talk is making me nostalgic haha I really do miss it there sometimes

Last edited by a moderator:

PKarey Plekoretty

Nov 16, 2011
I live in Killarney, I love the area

Rented downtown condo for 3 years then bought in Killarney. Both of my neighbours rent so that's clearly an option

C-Train Westbrook stop is nice and close, plenty of bus routes as well. Westhills and Marda Loop close by for pubs, restaurants etc. Multiple grocery stores and liquor stores close by, and easy access to roads out of the city leading to the mountains

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I live in Killarney, I love the area

Rented downtown condo for 3 years then bought in Killarney. Both of my neighbours rent so that's clearly an option

C-Train Westbrook stop is nice and close, plenty of bus routes as well. Westhills and Marda Loop close by for pubs, restaurants etc. Multiple grocery stores and liquor stores close by, and easy access to roads out of the city leading to the mountains

I spend a lot of the time in the Killarney/Richmond area and I agree, I really like the area. Its close to 17th ave, but there is lots to do near by as well, Marda Loop for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad