Mid-Season Prospect Rankings & Chatter Thread

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Here is this years winter prospect rankings and debate thread. I like doing this every year to gauge who everyone thinks is currently rising or falling. Please feel free to post your list, comments, criticisms, questions, etc.

The Flyers prospect pool is obviously really deep. I'm expecting a fair amount of variance from list to list, but who knows.

Here is mine. I chose not to include goalies...

1) Philippe Myers
2) Morgan Frost
- A tier above the rest. Both posses dynamic qualities. Myers gets the top nod for me. RHD like him are just too hard to find.

3) Oskar Lindblom
- Any of the next group could easily end up better than him, but Oskar has accomplished too much and looks like a very safe bet.

4) Mikhail Vorobyev
-Watching him, it just feels like there's another level that should be easily attainable when he gets fully adapted to a foreign culture and team. He gets the slight nod over Laczynski because of positional value.

5) Tanner Laczynski
- A guy I just really believe in. Love his game. IMO, he has a little more scoring upside than most realize.

6) Wade Allison
- Has the potential to be a legit goal scorer and huge fan favorite.

7) German Rubtsov
- Bragin's uncharacteristically poor coaching and laughable PP didn't do him any favors in the tournament, and we all know he needs to show more the rest of the season in Bathurst. I need to see the same kid who killed it in Chicoutimi last year.

8) Linus Hogberg
- They obviously didn't play him much in the tournament. My small sample of other viewings on him were excellent. That's all I have to go on. So, I'm really not sure where to rank him. This is my best guess.

9) Isaac Ratcliffe
- He'll disappear some, which is aggravating. He also flashes awesome ability at times as well. I think he has a lot of potential. Only time will tell what we have here.

10) Samuel Morin

11) Olle Lycksell
- It might be a bit speculative to have him this high, but he's a super young kid that just smells like he might be a natural scorer. We'll see.

12) Matthew Strome
- If only he could skate better. He's really, really good and is on fire right now.

13) Cooper Marody
14) Mark Friedman
15) Nicolas Aube-Kubel
16) David Kase
17) Wyatt Kalynuk
18) Maksim Sushko
19) David Bernhardt
20) Noah Cates

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Doesn't look too bad after losing our top 2 prospects. Probably a top 3-7 pool.

1. Carter Hart
2. Philippe Myers
3. Morgan Frost
4. Oskar Lindblom
5. Wade Allison
6. German Rubstov
7. Issac Ratcliffe
8. Samuel Morin
9. Mikhail Vorobyev
10. Felix Sandstrom
11. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
12. Tanner Laczynski
13. Linus Hogberg
14. Mark Friedman
15. Anthony Stolarz
16. Matthew Strome
17. David Kase
18. Mike Vecchione
19. Cooper Marody
20. Olle Lycksell

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Hopefully adding 3 first rounders and another prospect to the mix this year, if we deal Simmer... Maybe we even package 2 picks and a prospect to move up to the top 5.

Anyway

1. Carter Hart
2. Morgan Frost
3. Philippe Myers (below Frost because of injury concerns)
4. Oskar Lindblom

5. Wade Allison
6. Tanner Laczynski
7. German Rubstov
8. Samuel Morin
9. Mikhail Vorobyev

10. Felix Sandstrom
11. Linus Hogberg
12. Isaac Ratcliffe
13. Cooper Marody
14. Matthew Strome
15. Mark Friedman
16. Nicolas Aube-Kubel

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
1. Morgan Frost (18) - not only is he playing great, he's improved significantly from the start of the season, arrow is UP
2. Philippe Myers (21) - health is the only thing that can hold him back
3. Oskar Lindblom (21) - turning on the jets, will be up soon
4. Wade Allison (20) - best of the college kids, prototype PF and RW
5. German Rubstov (19) - waiting for the breakout, second half is key
6. Issac Ratcliffe (18) - bit of a project, 2 years jr, 2 years AHL? Still hits NHL at 22 in 2021-22.
7. Mikhail Vorobyev (21) - learning curve year, but has NHL size and vision, skating could improve
8. Samuel Morin (22) - not as good as advertised or he'd be on the team (I don't buy conspiracy theories)
9. Nicolas Aube-Kubel (21) - talented for bottom six role
10. Tanner Laczynski (20) - scoring in college, will it translate
11. Maxim Sushko (18) - similar to NAK but more time to raise his ceiling
12. Olle Lycksell (18) - already in SHL, next year will be his test, this year is getting his feet wet
13. David Kase (21) - solid SHL numbers but should do so at his age, good enough for top 6?
14. Linus Hogberg (19) - SHL play is above his age
15. Mark Friedman (22) - struggled at first with AHL, turning it around, has the skills for top 4, definitely 3rd pair
16. Connor Bunnaman (19) - not the scorer that Strome is, but good enough skater
17. Matthew Strome (19) - everything but the legs, key is improving from bad to "below average" as a skater
18. Cooper Marody (21) - scoring in college, but will it translate like Read or be more like Vecchione?
19. Mike Vecchione (24) - is there enough there for the NHL?
20. Carsen Twarynski (20) - scoring probably isn't sustainable, but now showing decent offense for 4th line mucker
21. Noah Cates (18) - nice USHL season, showing improvement
22. Pascal Laberge (19) - running out of time
23. Wyatt Kalynuk (20) - older college freshman, but playing like a good, older college player
24. David Bernhardt (20) - quietly having solid SHL season and still pretty young
25. Terrance Amorosa (23) - breakout college season but his age raises questions
26. Tyrell Goulbourne (24) - showed there's a NHL role for him, but a limited one

1. Carter Hart (19) - unwordly performance, needs to jump to the AHL
2. Felix Sandstrom (21) - injuries have slowed him down
3. Kirill Ustimenko (19) - shining at a lower level, need to see him in the KHL
4. Anthony Stolarz (24) - injuries make him a question mark, getting old to be a prospect
5. Matej Tomak (20) - bouncing back in the USHL, still not that old

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Completely forgot about Sushko. Probably slides just behind David Kase in my list.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Do you want the short version or the LOOONG version?

I already cobbled together most of the long version over the last month or so to keep my thoughts in order, but I don't want to annoy anyone either with a novel.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I already cobbled together most of the long version over the last month or so to keep my thoughts in order, but I don't want to annoy anyone either with a novel.

Either one! Medium?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Long please. :popcorn:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia

Anyone who's willing to take the time to put their thoughts together should lay it down for insight, and you're always a decent read.

Reactions: Tripod and SnS

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Stromer was already shit on in the summer rankings by most people, it's interesting to see anyone willing to slide him down the list any further when he's shown progression.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Strome shouldn't really be a minus. His skating issue will be answered in time. Rubtsov and Ratcliffe are minuses.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

Long version please. Novels arent so bad when they are actually insightful.

Reactions: SnS and Striiker

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Whether Ratcliffe is a minus or not depends on your opinion of him going into the year. I know some loved him. I think I voted for him at 11 or 12 in the summer. If you were closer to the latter, I don't think he really moved down.

I'll have to work up my list tonight.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
One of the biggest minuses so far looks like Bunnaman. No one has mentioned him yet. A lackluster year so far.

See, I disagree to some extent. He's moved down for me some spots, but I don't think he has been a big minus, more just plateaued in my eyes. Doesn't mean I don't like him though. If you liked him last year, I'm not sure what he's done to be disappointing. I watch him and he looks the exact same. Like if you thought he was a middle 6 prospect, maybe you're disappointed. But he's been a pretty good 5v5 player, and for a potential versatile, bottom 6/4th liner, I don't think he's been poor.

He's the second leading forward in scoring on the Rangers, behind Mascherin, who has seen a 15 point reduction in pace from last year too. Bunnaman plays a lot of center without much help on his line, and usually not with Mascherin, who he outperforms 5v5 anyway. He's not a center ideally, and his game is best served as a PWF, support possession grinder down low. But he can't play that role because he just doesn't get much help. Not unlike Ratcliffe in his own way. But he's top 20-30 in OHL forwards his age and under in basically every 5v5 stat (p/g, primary p/g, est p/60, shots). Top 10 for his age group too in every one. He's not some super prospect, but he's doing better than it looks, I think, and he just hit a cold spell. He's a year younger, but Strome has 2 more 5v5 points in the same # of games. His 5v5 numbers aren't drastically off from Katchouk's either on that SSM team, or Raddysh's even, in est p/60. I know that stat has issue, but he definitely doesn't see the ice time those get either per game. Really it's his PP scoring holding him back from being above a p/pg, and he has generally hovered around that this year. I don't expect him to get PP time as an NHLer.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
1. Morgan Frost
2. Carter Hart
3. Wade Allison
4. Oskar Lindblom
5. Phillipe Myers
6. Samuel Morin
7. German Rubtsov
8. Isaac Ratcliffe
9. Tanner Laczynski
10. Kirill Ustimenko
11. Felix Sandstrom
12. Mark Friedman
13. Matthew Strome
14. Linus Hogberg
15. Anthony Stolarz
16. Mikhail Vorobyev
17. Cooper Marody
18. Olle Lycksell
19. Mike Vecchione
20. Connor Bunnaman
21. Maxim Sushko
22. David Bernhardt
23. Wyatt Kalynuk
24. David Kase
25. Pascal Laberge
26. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
27. Tyrell Goulbourne
28. Ivan Fedotov
29. Noah Cates
30. Danick Martel
31. Alex Lyon
32. Carsen Twarynski
33. Cole Bardreau
34. Alex Lyon
35. Reece Willcox
36. Terrance Amorosa
37. Radel Fazleev
38. Brendan Warren
39. David Drake
40. Valeri Vasiliev
41. Matej Tomek

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't remember how I had people before the season, but right now my top 10 skaters would probably be...

Frost - what he's doing right now is too hard to ignore. Schenn who?

Allison - Ginger McDavid. dont @ me

Lindblom - wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as a top line winger in a few years (or sooner with a competent coach). perfect skill set

Myers - if he wasn't injured so much there'd probably be more talk about him, but every time I watch him I'm impressed

Rubtsov - was expecting a bit more this year but when he flashes his potential it's pretty great

Morin - currently being f***ed over but he's 100% an NHL player. Only this low because I think his future impact is capped because of who's in front of him

Laczynski - havn't seen too much of him, but when I have seen him I've really liked him

Ratcliffe - not putting up too many points right now but his size+skill combo means he has pretty sick potential, even if he takes longer to get there

Vorobyev - not as high on him as others, but still really solid

Bunnaman - disappointed with his season this year. expected more

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My list with integrated goalies (which is different than the list here: The Athletic Philadelphia's Top 20 Flyers Prospects that me and Charlie combined on, and did write-ups on players ;)):

1. Hart
2. Myers
3. Frost
4. Lindblom
5. Rubtsov
6. Allison
7. Morin
8. Sandstrom
9. Vorobyev
10. Ratcliffe
11. Laczynski
12. Friedman
13. Aube-Kubel
14. Hogberg
15. Strome
16. Kase
17. Marody
18. Stolarz
19. Vecchione
20. Ustimenko

Bernhardt, Lyksell, Sushko and Bunnaman just missed out on top 20 in my list...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My list with integrated goalies (which is different than the list here: The Athletic Philadelphia's Top 20 Flyers Prospects that me and Charlie combined on, and did write-ups on players ;)):

1. Hart
2. Myers
3. Frost
4. Lindblom
5. Rubtsov
6. Allison
7. Morin
8. Sandstrom
9. Vorobyev
10. Ratcliffe
11. Laczynski
12. Friedman
13. Aube-Kubel
14. Hogberg
15. Strome
16. Kase
17. Marody
18. Stolarz
19. Vecchione
20. Ustimenko

Bernhardt, Lyksell, Sushko and Bunnaman just missed out on top 20 in my list...

Do you see a big difference between Kase and Bernhardt/Lyksell? I just haven't had much time to watch Euros this year and the time I did have I spent on Hogberg. 5 or 6 spots on a list can be prospects of the same tier or a clear difference, etc.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
See, I disagree to some extent. He's moved down for me some spots, but I don't think he has been a big minus, more just plateaued in my eyes. Doesn't mean I don't like him though. If you liked him last year, I'm not sure what he's done to be disappointing. I watch him and he looks the exact same. Like if you thought he was a middle 6 prospect, maybe you're disappointed. But he's been a pretty good 5v5 player, and for a potential versatile, bottom 6/4th liner, I don't think he's been poor.

He's the second leading forward in scoring on the Rangers, behind Mascherin, who has seen a 15 point reduction in pace from last year too. Bunnaman plays a lot of center without much help on his line, and usually not with Mascherin, who he outperforms 5v5 anyway. He's not a center ideally, and his game is best served as a PWF, support possession grinder down low. But he can't play that role because he just doesn't get much help. Not unlike Ratcliffe in his own way. But he's top 20-30 in OHL forwards his age and under in basically every 5v5 stat (p/g, primary p/g, est p/60, shots). Top 10 for his age group too in every one. He's not some super prospect, but he's doing better than it looks, I think, and he just hit a cold spell. He's a year younger, but Strome has 2 more 5v5 points in the same # of games. His 5v5 numbers aren't drastically off from Katchouk's either on that SSM team, or Raddysh's even, in est p/60. I know that stat has issue, but he definitely doesn't see the ice time those get either per game. Really it's his PP scoring holding him back from being above a p/pg, and he has generally hovered around that this year. I don't expect him to get PP time as an NHLer.

I think his numbers are probably going up more down the stretch with the recent additions Kitchener made. The four best forwards on there were probably him, Mascherin, Sherwood, & Gareffa before the trades they made. Bunnaman never really played with any of them outside of the PP. He was mostly playing with younger kids & grinders types to this point. Even last year when they were an even worse team he was often saddled with junk. So the better depth they have now should get him better linemates than he’s had these past two years.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Do you see a big difference between Kase and Bernhardt/Lyksell? I just haven't had much time to watch Euros this year and the time I did have I spent on Hogberg. 5 or 6 spots on a list can be prospects of the same tier or a clear difference, etc.

Not that big a separation in upside... just Kase is a lot closer. He could probably hold his own in the NHL by the end of next season.

Kase is more naturally offensively talented than Lycksell, but Lycksell faster with a better shot and maybe a naturally higher defensive IQ. (though Kase is fast, has a decent shot and works very hard defensively)

Both probably project as 3rd liners... though it would not be an enormous surprise if they turned into #4 wingers if things went great, I.E. ~40-45pts and capable of being 3rd wheel on 2nd line.

Bernhardt is coming on fantastically in his own zone and neutral zone, his skating needs more work but has improved a lot. I think his upside is a solid ~#4-5 since he will never get PP time in the NHL despite being a pretty good PP QB.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
After the top 10 it gets muddy. Could probably jumble 11-20 and I wouldn't blink. A lot of depth/long term prospects in that area.

1) Morgan Frost
-Crafty playmaker that is a step ahead of the play and makes his linemates better. Huge 18 year old season and showing no signs of slowing down.​
2) Philippe Myers
-Injuries and organizational philosophies keep him out of the top spot for me. Still has a great skill package.​
3) Oskar Lindblom
-Should help a team that desperately needs secondary scoring.​
4) Wade Allison
-Not the most well rounded player, but hanging near the top of the national leaderboards all season long playing in the best conference in College Hockey.​
5) German Rubtsov
-Tough one. Still like his all-around game, but needs to push it more offensively. Might be a wing long term.​
6) Mikhail Vorobyev
-Big pivot. Heady playmaker. Injury might push back his ETA.​
7) Samuel Morin
-Who knows where he stands in this organization, but he still has rare physical gifts.​
8) Tanner Laczynski
-Keeps on producing.​
9) Isaac Ratcliffe
-Probably not producing like people hoped, but Guelph is one of the worst teams in the league. Not getting a lot of help. 6’6 forward that is a go to PPer and PKer for his club. Long range prospect. Skating and floor give him the edge over the next guy.​
10) Matthew Strome
- Everyone knows his weakness but he might be the best player on one of the best teams in the CHL, at 18.​
11) Nicolas Aube-Kubel
-Might seem high for a guy likely ticketed for 4th line duties, but a well rounded player who looks like he can drive play. Underrated offensive ability. One of the top 5v5 scorers in the AHL.​
12) Linus Hogberg
-Offense likely caps his ceiling but good frame, good skater, and a very good outlet pass.​
13) Mark Friedman
-Rough start to his pro career but still a lot to like.​
14) Olle Lycksell
-Just missed the 2018 draft and made his debut in the SHL.​
15) David Kase
-One of the top scorers on a club near the bottom of the table.​
16) Cooper Marody
-In the running for top NCAA scorer.​
17) Maxim Sushko
-Great showing at the WJC but don’t expect him to score at the next level.​
18) Connor Bunnaman
-Probably a 4th liner but a big body with improved skating.​
19) David Bernhardt
-6'4 with an offensive background. He might be something in another year or two.​
20) Danick Martel
-These are always difficult ranks. Minor League scorer, late NHL bloomer, or roadkill?​
21) Mike Vecchione
-Same as above (minus roadkill)​
22) Wyatt Kalynuk
-Top 15 in D scoring as a freshman. See where he's at in 2 years.​
23) Carsen Twarynski
-Overager but on an 83 point pace and should get a contract.​
24) Noah Cates
-Heating up after a slow start. UMD has been finding good prospects of late. Maybe he's next.​
25) Radel Fazleev
- May get squeezed out eventually in a numbers game. Skating has improved.
Goalies:

1) Hart
2) Sandstrom
3) Ustimenko
4) Stolarz
5) Lyon

Hart has been #1 for me since he was drafted, but between his performance this year and the health issues of his closest competitors, he's the clear cut guy now. Where would I put him overall? Probably 3rd. Based on performance he's certainly got a strong case for #1. Video game numbers under a new coach in the WHL. Best goalie at the WJC. The nature of the position would not allow me to give him the #1 nod, but if he's as good as we think, he'll be one of the most valuable players in the organization. Doesn't turn 20 for another 7 months. Goalies peak late. He could be special.

This was a make or break year for Stolarz and he broke, literally. Not sure what the plan is for him next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad