Mid-Season 2017-18 Top 10 Prospects - Detroit Red Wings #8 Prospect

Who is the Detroit Red Wings #8 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Filip Hronek - RD - 20 - 6'0" 178lbs. Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic - 42.0%
2.) Michael Rasmussen - C - 18 - 6'6" 221 lbs. Surrey, BC, Canada - 53.6%
3.) Dennis Cholowski - LD - 19 - 6'1" 200 lbs. Langley, BC, Canada - 94.1%
4.) Evgeny Svechnikov - RW/LW - 21 - 6'3" 208 lbs, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia - 87.5%
5.) Vili Saarijarvi - RD - 20 - 5'10" 178 lbs, Rovaniemi, Finland 63.3%
6.) Joe Hicketts - D - 21 - 5'8" 180 lbs Kamloops, BC, Canada 43.2%
7.) Gustav Lindstrom - RD - 19 - 6'2" 187 lbs, Östervåla, Sweden 27.0%

Lindstrom wins round #7, the add is Jordan Sambrook

As always vote, discuss and offer an add if you have one.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I think it has to be Turgeon here. Other guys might not even get to where they are sniffing the lineup like he is.

Add whoever

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This vote is new to me. Are people voting for who is at a better place in their career right now? Who they think will have the best career? Or who they think has the highest ceiling?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This vote is new to me. Are people voting for who is at a better place in their career right now? Who they think will have the best career? Or who they think has the highest ceiling?

It is really up to each person. I like to mix that together a little. But it is personal some of us lean more towards one than the other.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It is really up to each person. I like to mix that together a little. But it is personal some of us lean more towards one than the other.

That's cool.

I voted Pertuzzelli, reason being that I could see him being a very good starter for us one day while a guy like Turgeon I dont think has a chance at ever being a 1C.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017

Like Zetterberg said it's up to each person. For me personally I mix ceiling in more with the first couple prospects and towards the middle put more into if they are closer to the nhl

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it has to be Turgeon here. Other guys might not even get to where they are sniffing the lineup like he is.

Add whoever

For what it is worth Craig Button the other day said he was 100% positive that Givani Smith would be an NHL player. Even fairly adamant he would be a top 9 guy too.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
For what it is worth Craig Button the other day said he was 100% positive that Givani Smith would be an NHL player. Even fairly adamant he would be a top 9 guy too.
That was my impression watching him before he was drafted, but I don't know if he's shown a lot of progress. Haven't had a chance to watch him lately, but just how solid he looked on his skates at 17 he seemed like such a safe bet to be a viable pro. He's basically the opposite of Mursak in that sense, he's slow but he isn't so easy to impede or knock down.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the point with Smith is his game translates. I think the same can be said of Turgeon and people have made that case while he wasn't high up for us in these kind of polls.

I haven't given up on Givani Smith, he is a player that will take a few years to get here, but the thing is he competes really hard. That usually helps in this process, I don't see him as much more than depth right now but he has NHL qualities in my opinion. If he can find more in his skating he becomes a lot more interesting. As is he can be an energy mucker kind of player no problem. I don't think he has the Hockey IQ of Bertuzzi, but I think they remind me of each other. It will be interesting to see him transition to the pros next year.

I think the great lesson I have learned from Xavier Ouellet is even if the guy has all the qualities I want and I want to believe in him, if he cannot make skating gains he will be in big trouble. A lot of you know I was huge on XO, but that is ultimately his problem. He didn't even really experience the marginal gains you expect out of most prospects in skating. So we have a few guys I just cannot rate as highly without it. That is why Smith sits towards the bottom of my top 10 even though I believe he will get at least a Ferraro/Andersson/Emmerton cup of coffee regardless and Holmstrom cannot scratch it at all for instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I want to see it in Smith.
I think I ranked him 10th in our other prospect poll.
He's got NHL size. But if he's got average skating and he's not really producing up to expectations at the junior level, I struggle to see how he fits as an NHL prospect.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

To me, his style seems like it will fit in the NHL, eventhough he isn't lighting up the OHL or anything. I think he will make it here or somewhere else as a gritty 3rd or 4th liner.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Larsson again. It depends on what people are voting on. Turgeon is the "safer" prospect, and will be an NHL player, at least for a few years. Larsson may never make it, or could be a starting goalie. So I pick Larsson, he easily has the highest ceiling out of anyone left, and has a higher ceiling than a few players already voted in my opinion.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I am high on Larsson (& Fulcher too) but changed my vote after listening to Martin's latest interview on Red and White. I didn't know Givani had been hurt enough to fall out of the WJ's. Martin talks about how the Wings view all of their prospects on Episode 45 from about a month ago.

Detroit Red Wings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad