OT: MIchigan Sports Thread: UM wins Natty Championship

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Whew, good. Some people are straight serious. Rodgers really brings it out in folks. I'm pretty indifferent to him overall, other than his ball throwing be great.

From everything I have watched and read Rodgers seems like one of those guys that is too smart for his own good. There was an Athletic article highlighting his backups and their stories, and he just seems like a smart, and very weird guy. Having said all that he is crazy talented, Green Bay should be ashamed they only have one title with him.

I am surprised you are indifferent to him, from an outsider it seems like a polarizing issue. I enjoy and respect your posts, would love to hear from a Packers fan on the situation. Oh, and Go Lions!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
From everything I have watched and read Rodgers seems like one of those guys that is too smart for his own good. There was an Athletic article highlighting his backups and their stories, and he just seems like a smart, and very weird guy. Having said all that he is crazy talented, Green Bay should be ashamed they only have one title with him.

I am surprised you are indifferent to him, from an outsider it seems like a polarizing issue. I enjoy and respect your posts, would love to hear from a Packers fan on the situation. Oh, and Go Lions!

I could go on for some time about it. Ultimately there's some stuff I really respect about the guy, but other areas I'm less enthusiastic about. In the end, it's like, eh... I don't actually know him so I end up indifferent. His public persona is really hit or miss with me, I guess that's the better explanation.

I don't know if Green Bay should be anymore ashamed than than the Saints or Colts that only won once with Hall of Fame guys. They put together teams that were good enough to get to the final four about what... 3 times now? Actually 4, plus the Super Bowl. He's had help. Not everyone can be the Patriots.

As for this game, holy hell, I knew I was right to be worried. Packers D is miserable. They'll need to win in shootout here.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I don't know if Green Bay should be anymore ashamed than than the Saints or Colts that only won once with Hall of Fame guys. They put together teams that were good enough to get to the final four about what... 3 times now? Actually 4, plus the Super Bowl. He's had help. Not everyone can be the Patriots.

I think they should be ashamed too, Colts more so than the Saints. I hear what you’re saying in reference to the Patriots, I will be surprised to see another Belichick/Brady combination in my lifetime. However I loved watching Manning in his prime, just complete command of the offense.

In regards to running and passing in a QB I just can’t think of anyone I want over Rodgers. Who is even close? Steve Young? Nope.

When I say ashamed what I mean is results compared to expectations. If we are just judging shame then the Lions are runaway favorites. But with the QB stability I vote disappointment in the last two decades as
1a. Colts 1b. Packers 3. Saints

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

My Packer friends all hate Rodgers, but still love Favre. Favre was relatively quiet when it came to the media, Rodgers is not. That rubs fanbases the wrong way when you aren't saying 100% positive things all the time about ownership and the team ala Manning.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Negative.

Stafford is the perfect example of a franchise mouthpiece. No other player has routinely played for a horrible team and franchise and said nicer things about whatever coach, management, or owner they played for. And he certainly played for a lot of them. Amazing to think he didn't have one non-positive thing to say.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
My Packer friends all hate Rodgers, but still love Favre. Favre was relatively quiet when it came to the media, Rodgers is not. That rubs fanbases the wrong way when you aren't saying 100% positive things all the time about ownership and the team ala Manning.
Fans don't give a shit about ownership. They care about a guy signing a huge deal and crying about just a few seasons later. Stafford handled his exit with class. Rodgers is an entitled d-bag.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wonder what kind of payout theyre offering him right now... if theyre offering you 200 grand right now do you take it or hope the Lions win tonight for 3 quarters of a million?

If I had picked Lions over Packers at Lambeau at night? I would have been purely bigging up the payout that they might offer me. This was not a smart bet to pick Lions over Packers at Lambeau at night if you're thinking the Lions were actually gonna do something.

Like, I would have picking this game to run up the parlay odds and cash out after SNF.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If I had picked Lions over Packers at Lambeau at night? I would have been purely bigging up the payout that they might offer me. This was not a smart bet to pick Lions over Packers at Lambeau at night if you're thinking the Lions were actually gonna do something.

Like, I would have picking this game to run up the parlay odds and cash out after SNF.

I mean, did you see his bets? It was a $25 hail Mary, so you might as well go all-in. He wasn't betting smart, he was trying to turn a combo meal at Popeye's into a small fortune.

And when the Lions were winning at the half, I started to wonder if he might get lucky! If not for Goff's slippery hands, it could have been a lot closer.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
On the one hand, it is much too early to jump the gun. But on the other hand, this is a discussion board, so I will unload my hot take:

The Tigers seem to have completed their rebuild and hopefully add a few high-end players this winter. I have an imagination how the Red Wings and the Pistons might come to that same stage within a few years - it might not happen, but I think I see a plan.

However, I do not see such a path for the Lions. They had good opponents, but the team does not seem competitive at all - in spite of several potential building blocks already in place:

- Goff had a solid start; not much worse than Stafford I would say. Every year some college QBs look like revelations personified, but I don't see massive room for improvement on this cerebral position.
- The OL should be good, perhaps even a bit better than that. The Lions invested two first-rounders, a third-round pick and two expensive contracts into their projected starting five. Vatai seems to be overpaid a bit, but that won't likely be a decisive factor.
- The RBs should be good as well. Swift was a high 2nd rounder, then there is a veteran on an average contract and some RB3. That seems to be a decent investment.
- Their TE1 was a high pick, who found his footing. TE2 is a veteran on a budget contract, which is not unusual in this league.
- The WR core is obviously the worst in the league, although it did not look that horrible as of now. The Lions might get two good WRs for LAR's 1st and their 2nd rounder, if they want to.
- The DL has an expensive veteran, who was decent previously, and some mid-round picks plus low-end veterans. This unit is not shiny, but might not be the problem either.
- One DE is on a very expensive contract, the next on a mid-level extension plus additional veteran and a mid-round pick. The Lions invested quite a bit here already.
- The LBs seem to be a Achilles heel once again. But the Lions have another quite expensive veteran here plus another mid-round pick.
- The DBs sure are another reason for concern; the safeties seem less far away from an average unit than the CBs, where the highest Lions pick in ages will likely not make any leaps next year either.

Let's just assume Goff performs like Stafford on some #10-15 QB level, which would be a boon for the Lions. Then they find a star DE/LB, a very good WR, another solid WR and a decent DB in the next draft - which sounds like a best-case scenario to me. Will this really be sufficient to ascend to a team with chances of and even in the playoffs? I know that the new GM was a part of a successful rebuild with the Rams, but it just seems too much to expect within a few years. But afterwards, the Lions will have to replace some current building blocks without having the luxury of high picks and cap space. This clouds my optimism considerably.

Gruß,
BSHH

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
On the one hand, it is much too early to jump the gun. But on the other hand, this is a discussion board, so I will unload my hot take:

The Tigers seem to have completed their rebuild and hopefully add a few high-end players this winter. I have an imagination how the Red Wings and the Pistons might come to that same stage within a few years - it might not happen, but I think I see a plan.

However, I do not see such a path for the Lions. They had good opponents, but the team does not seem competitive at all - in spite of several potential building blocks already in place:

- Goff had a solid start; not much worse than Stafford I would say. Every year some college QBs look like revelations personified, but I don't see massive room for improvement on this cerebral position.
- The OL should be good, perhaps even a bit better than that. The Lions invested two first-rounders, a third-round pick and two expensive contracts into their projected starting five. Vatai seems to be overpaid a bit, but that won't likely be a decisive factor.
- The RBs should be good as well. Swift was a high 2nd rounder, then there is a veteran on an average contract and some RB3. That seems to be a decent investment.
- Their TE1 was a high pick, who found his footing. TE2 is a veteran on a budget contract, which is not unusual in this league.
- The WR core is obviously the worst in the league, although it did not look that horrible as of now. The Lions might get two good WRs for LAR's 1st and their 2nd rounder, if they want to.
- The DL has an expensive veteran, who was decent previously, and some mid-round picks plus low-end veterans. This unit is not shiny, but might not be the problem either.
- One DE is on a very expensive contract, the next on a mid-level extension plus additional veteran and a mid-round pick. The Lions invested quite a bit here already.
- The LBs seem to be a Achilles heel once again. But the Lions have another quite expensive veteran here plus another mid-round pick.
- The DBs sure are another reason for concern; the safeties seem less far away from an average unit than the CBs, where the highest Lions pick in ages will likely not make any leaps next year either.

Let's just assume Goff performs like Stafford on some #10-15 QB level, which would be a boon for the Lions. Then they find a star DE/LB, a very good WR, another solid WR and a decent DB in the next draft - which sounds like a best-case scenario to me. Will this really be sufficient to ascend to a team with chances of and even in the playoffs? I know that the new GM was a part of a successful rebuild with the Rams, but it just seems too much to expect within a few years. But afterwards, the Lions will have to replace some current building blocks without having the luxury of high picks and cap space. This clouds my optimism considerably.

Gruß,
BSHH
Keep Swift, most of the O-Line, and Hockenson. Get ride of everyone else.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I mean, did you see his bets? It was a $25 hail Mary, so you might as well go all-in. He wasn't betting smart, he was trying to turn a combo meal at Popeye's into a small fortune.

And when the Lions were winning at the half, I started to wonder if he might get lucky! If not for Goff's slippery hands, it could have been a lot closer.

Oh, that's what I'm saying. If I picked Lions over Packers, it would be with the expectation that everything else had hit and I could cash out higher because of the odds.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh, that's what I'm saying. If I picked Lions over Packers, it would be with the expectation that everything else had hit and I could cash out higher because of the odds.

I see you did indeed say that now and I'm going to blame my complete misunderstanding on the lack of coffee on my system at that point. Although that's a lie but we tell ourselves lies to feel OK sometimes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I see you did indeed say that now and I'm going to blame my complete misunderstanding on the lack of coffee on my system at that point. Although that's a lie but we tell ourselves lies to feel OK sometimes.

This is entirely because I am a broken broken man when it comes to the Lions and I truly do not expect them to ever win a game. It is truly a shock to me when a football Sunday ends in victory for the Motor City Kitties.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Also... speaking of which. I do not understand Tiktok and the people who post on it. That Emily Zugay who I guess graduated with a graphics degree... took logos and "improved them".

The Detriot Lines was what she did. Just five horizontal lines and a blatant misspelling of the city name. I wish I had 800k people who laughed at any stupid thing that I said or did.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Just when you think the Lions can’t find a new way to lose they prove you wrong. Officials miss a delay of game, and the Ravens kick a NFL record 66 yard field goal that bounces off the crossbar and in. Unreal.

Reactions: saska sault

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Just when you think the Lions can’t find a new way to lose they prove you wrong. Officials miss a delay of game, and the Ravens kick a NFL record 66 yard field goal that bounces off the crossbar and in. Unreal.
That play clock has to be a solid 1.5-2 seconds expired, and the play went on. Just some Lions luck!

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
This is the 2nd time in my lifetime a record breaking longest field goal in the last seconds beat the lions. Dempsey in 1970
search youtube for "1970 Tom Dempsey 63 yd field goal"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad