News Article: Michael Dal Colle preparing for 'biggest offseason'

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
How has Snows drafting proven to be good? He has some solid hits like Hamonic and also some solid misses like Reinhart. Any top 5 pick that ends up a bottom pair dman or worse is a bust. At best Snows drafting could be considered average.

Snow has had a decade of draft picks to work with while finishing in the bottom 5 most of the time. Any idiot with a draft guide can build a solid prospect pool that way...just look at the Oilers

Pedan is potential waiver fodder according to Vancouver fans. Russo looks like a good prospect. To add a name, Spurgeon is a very good dman. But, who gives a flying hoot, Snow did not retain them so they are meaningless or worse for your argument huge misses(by letting them walk espically Spurgeon) when looking at Snows body of work

Yes, his drafting has been good as an entire body of work. You mentioned Hamonic, but there is also Martin, Cizikas, de Haan, some guys we traded away for assets like Pokka (for Leddy). So imo opinion the drafting has been pretty strong.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Snow's drafting has already been proven to be good.
Guys like Strome, Reinhart, Barzal, etc. aren't anywhere close to being a finished product. You cannot label them a success or a bust yet. Not enough time has passed.

HUH?!?!?!

Look PK.. I am not here to knock anyones profession.. we all gotta eat and make a living but I cant take you seriously. Do you blog for them or something or have some job tied within the organization?

They sent Ryan Strome down because he wasnt playing well and did even worse in the AHL. Brock Nelson is falling into that same category as we speak and Anders Lee played like he didnt even care half the time.

That falls on the coaches for allowing this to happen and then falls on the GM for keeping the same guys here.

Ill ask this question again to everyone here..Weve seen what Capuano has done with our previous picks.. Do you trust him to develop Barzal, MDC, Ho Sang and Bellows??

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

HUH?!?!?!

Look PK.. I am not here to knock anyones profession.. we all gotta eat and make a living but I cant take you seriously. Do you blog for them or something or have some job tied within the organization?

They sent Ryan Strome down because he wasnt playing well and did even worse in the AHL. Brock Nelson is falling into that same category as we speak and Anders Lee played like he didnt even care half the time.

That falls on the coaches for allowing this to happen and then falls on the GM for keeping the same guys here.

Ill ask this question again to everyone here..Weve seen what Capuano has done with our previous picks.. Do you trust him to develop Barzal, MDC, Ho Sang and Bellows??

For real, lol? You sure you didn't just throw that in cause you couldn't think of anything else to say? That's entirely untrue.

As far as your last question even though you aimed it towards PK, I don't know how much blame I can give Capuano for development. Nino shouldn't have been in the NHL as early as he was, but there are other guys that have played their best hockey under Capuano such as Okposo. You also contradict yourself in the same sentence. If you are hindering a guys development you keep him in the NHL and bury him in the lineup (like Nino), but Capuano seemed to learn and urged Snow to send Strome down instead of burying him. That's actually the right development move.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Plenty of young players have developed under Capuano, some of them had their best years under him. There's just a large contingent of Islander fans that like to complain, they must be a real rip at parties.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Taylor Pyatt? Not seeing the comparison at all. Pyatt was big and had sick wheels, he never had huge stats in the WHL. Dal Colle needs to fill out and work on his skating, he was very productive in the OhL.

His wheels weren't that sick when he got out of junior.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Yes, his drafting has been good as an entire body of work. You mentioned Hamonic, but there is also Martin, Cizikas, de Haan, some guys we traded away for assets like Pokka (for Leddy). So imo opinion the drafting has been pretty strong.

If Strome doesn't pan out we will have little to show for so much losing. deHaan doesn't look better than Kulikov right now.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
For real, lol? You sure you didn't just throw that in cause you couldn't think of anything else to say? That's entirely untrue.

As far as your last question even though you aimed it towards PK, I don't know how much blame I can give Capuano for development. Nino shouldn't have been in the NHL as early as he was, but there are other guys that have played their best hockey under Capuano such as Okposo. You also contradict yourself in the same sentence. If you are hindering a guys development you keep him in the NHL and bury him in the lineup (like Nino), but Capuano seemed to learn and urged Snow to send Strome down instead of burying him. That's actually the right development move.

You can throw Nino was brought up to help us reach the cap floor as well.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
this offseason.....

now that that is out of the way :)

"Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player." (over 500 games). From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players. Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it. From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent."

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

so let's look at Snow's 1st rounders, and although it is far too early to tell, we can get an idea whether they will be career players.

2006 - out of 13 players drafted, Okposo (1st) and A. MacDonald (6th) are considered career players.
2007 - out of 5 drafted, and the highest being a 3rd rounder, none were career players.
2008 - 13 picks. Bailey (1st), Hamonic (2nd), Martin (5th), Spurgeon (6th).
2009 - 7 picks. JT and CDH (1st), Cizikas (4th), Lee (6th).
2010 - 6 picks. Nina and Nelson (1st).

after this year, it isn't really easy to see whom has the good possibility of being a career player. so let's review.

6 1st round picks. all are career players. better than avg., but all were in the 1st half of the 1st round, except Nelson. probably consider this avg?

all other picks = 38. of those, 6 made it. that is 16%. above the 12% league avg.

synopsis: while not the most in depth study, it suggests that Snow and Co. are probably avg.

after 2010, it is mostly speculation, but i honestly think that Snow and Co. are getting better at it.
i have to go, but i'm sure that i will be ridiculed by some, for wearing the rose-coloured (or should i say, "Snow-coloured") glasses, lol.
whatever...

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
I hate saying that watching him play reminds me of Taylor Pyatt when. He first became Islander property.

Taylor Pyatt?

Curious, how much of Dal Colle have you watched?

I watch a ton of junior hockey and have seen him in maybe 20 games this past year. It seems some here are down on Dal Colle but I see a lot in him. I would not be so quick to give up on him.

Stickwork is 9/10, high level hockey sense, goes to net, good along boards, will take a hit to make a play and a killer wrist shot.

I have seen countless times when he is fighting for puck at the boards and brings it right out and drives to the net. Once he gets comfortable with the pro game I think he is a going to be a good one. 27 goals 28 assists in his last 30 games this year with Kingston? Pretty impressive.

Needs to work on skating a little and defense coverage but most do at his age. He already is a better skater than Lee (not saying much, granted)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

HUH?!?!?!

So Strome and Lee have great first full seasons, but their regression is Capuano/Snow's fault?

And I'm basing it off the statistics presented above, along with another chart that was posted somewhere that shows how teams have done with their draft picks and their production. The Islanders are one of the best organizations for having productive draft picks. I think it was top 3.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
this offseason.....

now that that is out of the way :)

"Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player." (over 500 games). From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players. Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it. From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent."

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

so let's look at Snow's 1st rounders, and although it is far too early to tell, we can get an idea whether they will be career players.

2006 - out of 13 players drafted, Okposo (1st) and A. MacDonald (6th) are considered career players.
2007 - out of 5 drafted, and the highest being a 3rd rounder, none were career players.
2008 - 13 picks. Bailey (1st), Hamonic (2nd), Martin (5th), Spurgeon (6th).
2009 - 7 picks. JT and CDH (1st), Cizikas (4th), Lee (6th).
2010 - 6 picks. Nina and Nelson (1st).

after this year, it isn't really easy to see whom has the good possibility of being a career player. so let's review.

6 1st round picks. all are career players. better than avg., but all were in the 1st half of the 1st round, except Nelson. probably consider this avg?

all other picks = 38. of those, 6 made it. that is 16%. above the 12% league avg.

synopsis: while not the most in depth study, it suggests that Snow and Co. are probably avg.

after 2010, it is mostly speculation, but i honestly think that Snow and Co. are getting better at it.
i have to go, but i'm sure that i will be ridiculed by some, for wearing the rose-coloured (or should i say, "Snow-coloured") glasses, lol.
whatever...

Thanks for taking the time to post this. The biggest "mistake" in terms of drafting is probably that the Isles needed at least one more truly terrible season (ideally maybe two). It would have been nice to get one more elite/almost elite player alongside JT. Much like Kane and Toews or Crosby and Malkin.

In the 2010 draft, the Isles just missed out on Ryan Johansen. He was the player they wanted and should have been the pick instead of la Nina. Both the Isles and Blue Jackets finished with 79 points, with the Isles going 5-4-1 in their last 10, while the Blue Jackets went 3-4-3 and, just to seal the deal, lost their last 5 straight.

In 2011 the Devils won the draft lottery, even though they shouldn't have even had a pick (it should have been gone for circumventing the cap on the Ilya Kovalchuk contract), and they hopped the Isles for Larsson in the lottery. Now I am not saying Larsson is an elite player right now, however, he was just traded for one, as we all know. ;)

In the 2012 NHL draft, one point separated the Isles from the Canadians. The Isles went 5-5 while the Canadians fell to 3-3-4 over the last 10. One point (or I guess two points given the win disparity tie breaker needed) was the difference between Alex Galchenyuk and Griffin Reinhart. Thankfully, it appears the hockey gods will smile on us in the Reinhart for Barzal/Beauvillier deal.

It is amazing to think that a handful of points in the standings could have meant that Nina, Strome and Reinhart could have been Johansen, Larsson (into Hall) and then Galchenyuk. Top-2 lines of Hall-JT and Galchenyuk-Johansen at LW-C, respectively, would have been very interesting. Throw in whatever defensively-responsible RWs you want and wow.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Travis Green and whoever his team would be has got to be better then Cappy and Weight!

I see so many faults in Cappy's coaching and his extremely poor decisions that effect close games. Hopefully Our New Owners will open Their eyes and see this as well.

The fact that we have 3 goalies signed on one way contracts certainly says to me Staff needs insurance with Halak's injuries and will know more of his health after he plays in the World Cup. Halak's play will either boost his Value to our team or as Trade bait but no team seems to need a starter at this time.

Strome not signed yet says a lot and He might be a Pawn in Snow's game to swing a late deal with a team that will need a more reasonable salaried player after arbitration hearings.

With just above 5 mill in Cap space Snow has little wiggle room with little chance of Unloading Grabo or Kule.

Barzal and Josh Ho Sang have the best odds to win a spot on the team. It would be a mistake not to have Barzal on the big club this year. Due to Barzal's age he would have to return to his junior team and how will this help his Development ?

The Team will be better But so many other teams upped their game and are better as well. We could go into the season with current Players but feel that a deal will be made in late August or September

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You can't play that game because there's no way to know of the Islanders take those players. It's highly probable they make the same picks, actually. I remember in Ryan Stromes draft they were reportedly very interested in him.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
"so let's look at Snow's 1st rounders, and although it is far too early to tell, we can get an idea whether they will be career players.

2006 - out of 13 players drafted, Okposo (1st) and A. MacDonald (6th) are considered career players."

I remember Neil Smith saying in an interview it was He who was responsible for drafting Okposo not Snow...

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
"so let's look at Snow's 1st rounders, and although it is far too early to tell, we can get an idea whether they will be career players.

2006 - out of 13 players drafted, Okposo (1st) and A. MacDonald (6th) are considered career players."

I remember Neil Smith saying in an interview it was He who was responsible for drafting Okposo not Snow...

Snow wasn't even in management yet, so of course Snow didn't have a say in drafting Okposo. I'm really confused by this.

EDIT: You should use quote button instead of putting them in quotations. Now this posts makes a little more sense.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Neil Smith was GM when Okposo was picked. Since he was just hired, I don't think it's out of the question to say that he likely didn't have much to do with that draft (likely done by the scouts), also you have to keep in mind it was during the era of "the committee".

In any case, we're really splitting hairs here..... for the most part, it's the scouting staff that picks these kids. The GM just goes off of what his scouting staff tells him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Snow had nothing to do with the 2006 draft. It was all Smith & Feltrin. I would lean heavily on it being Feltrin as well because his drafting record sucks.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He needs to work on his skating and assertiveness. If he can do that, I have no doubt he'll be an effective NHL scorer.

As it currently is, IMO, he's not fast enough/strong enough on his skates, and he's a bit too passive with regards to battling and winning battles to make the NHL right now.

This description is almost to a T what I see of MDC the times I've seen him play. Unlike some prospects that just need time for their bodies to mature before they're ready for the NHL, to me MDC needs to significantly improve some fundamental aspects to his game before he can contribute at the NHL level. Whether or not he will/can is the million-dollar question.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
oh believe me, it wont be one game in the AHL. This team has zero clue how to develop talent. Jack Capuano has had Kyle Okposo, Nino, Josh Bailey, Strome and did any of them really explode above and beyond their current capabilities? Nino has developed nicely in Minnesota. Brock Nelson shows signs but is used poorly and is turning into another Okposo

Bailey is Stagnant.. Strome the jury is out but isnt looking good. Okposo we will see how to does in Buffalo under new managers and same goes for Nielsen.

Do you trust Garth/Capuano/ Thompson with the development of MDC, Barzal, Bellevuie and now Bellows?

Bingo. The team wins despite it's "coach." You better figure it out on your own because you certainly won't be taught it by the coaching staff.

I'm very happy with the Ladd signing because he's smarter than the coaching staff so for me that increases the odds that he may wake up Strome or Nelson.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
You can't play that game because there's no way to know of the Islanders take those players. It's highly probable they make the same picks, actually. I remember in Ryan Stromes draft they were reportedly very interested in him.

Yes i agree with this larsson doesn't fit the mold of players islanders would have taken. I think they were mad johanson was taken but liked nino also. The Reinhart pick they tried to trade up for murray or yak, i think they only traded him because edmonton overpaid for him. I think the guys in the last three years they really liked and definitly don't regret. I think they don't want to give up on MDC unless they get an young quality top 6 forward.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
man, I think kieffer bellows has more hype than dal colle at this point. i honestly can't say much about dal colle, bc I've only seen him play like once, but idk, I can't see him being as good as barzal, and maybe ho-sang. who knows tho..........

honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if all of Snow's mid-late 1st round picks end up turning out better than his top 5 picks. I think a lot of GM's overthink when they get a top 5 pick, and they end up making the safe pick. strome might end up still being good, but he's gotta stop making those bone-headed mistakes he's so prone to making

i hope if they have a spot open, they tell all 3 of those guys "listen, one of you will make the team this year; who ever wants it the most can have it."

scott99

May 13, 2005
Taylor Pyatt?

Curious, how much of Dal Colle have you watched?

I watch a ton of junior hockey and have seen him in maybe 20 games this past year. It seems some here are down on Dal Colle but I see a lot in him. I would not be so quick to give up on him.

Stickwork is 9/10, high level hockey sense, goes to net, good along boards, will take a hit to make a play and a killer wrist shot.

I have seen countless times when he is fighting for puck at the boards and brings it right out and drives to the net. Once he gets comfortable with the pro game I think he is a going to be a good one. 27 goals 28 assists in his last 30 games this year with Kingston? Pretty impressive.

Needs to work on skating a little and defense coverage but most do at his age. He already is a better skater than Lee (not saying much, granted)
I agree, the only thing I see in common between Pyatt and MDC is size. Pyatt had great speed (talked about ad naseum back in the early 2000's Isle's message boards) and good size, he never had the hockey sense or sniping ability MDC has. MDC has a wicked shot. In the Isle's prospect pool, I think only Bellows has a better shot than MDC.

If he wants it, if he goes after it and ups his passion level, he should be a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad