MHL General Discussion - Part III

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If there is to be a MHL junior team in Tallinn, it is possible that Jokerit would co operate with it. Nevertheless it would have no effect on Jokerit junior operations or a-junior team. Source Jokerit twitter account.

At Jatkoaika the speculation is only about a few players that might go there (no names), I would imagine those that don't have school or army obligations. Not sure if MHL rules allow it but perhaps it's home games only to limit travel? The question is of course because the A-juniors team is already among the worst in A-juniors league, will relegation be an even bigger threat now?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
why did Baltica die? I mean there is no good hockey in Vilnus, not that MHL was good hockey, but it was decent.
A roster with few Lithuanian players playing in a meaningless competition against some random Russian kids just didn't appeal to people... As in most post-Soviet countries if you want to attract fans in Lithuania you need to make it feel like the games really mean something otherwise they don't care so junior hockey team in Russian league really doesn't get it done.. They tried to make it somewhat more appealing by changing the name to Žalgiris (to get that very Lithuanian feel) but obviously, that doesn't do anything either when there are 5 Lithuanians on the roster playing minor roles.

Last edited:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
At Jatkoaika the speculation is only about a few players that might go there (no names), I would imagine those that don't have school or army obligations. Not sure if MHL rules allow it but perhaps it's home games only to limit travel? The question is of course because the A-juniors team is already among the worst in A-juniors league, will relegation be an even bigger threat now?
I don't know why I haven't been able to post here for months but I had to solve it for this.

This is so ****ing stupid. I don't know how this is beneficial for Jokerit (can't really be any marketing reasons since it's a junior team). Jokerit's junior team is already pretty bad, and why risk getting relegated from the top division by sending players to Tallinn? Makes no sense at all.

In addition to that, moving Jokerit's A-juniors to MHL is not the solution, it would just make it worse since literally no one would have time to play away games in Harbin and Khabarovsk when they have school. The only working model that Jokerit could implement is following SKA where you can send junior players to your farm team in order to make them ready for the KHL. And that's not going happen since money talks. The closest thing this would be to happen is if Jokerit got a VHL affiliation in Tallinn, but I doubt junior players would like to play there because of the travel...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Where do players on two-way deals with Jokerit play now? Mestis? Or juniors? I looked at Embrich & he played Mestis last season, only 5 games in juniors.

I do not know details of rules in Finland, but I can imagine it is similar to Slovan & Slovak league. It is so complicated to send a player on two-way KHL deal to a team of Slovak league. There are limited loans, you can not recall a player when you need. On the other hand, if you send a player to the MHL or the VHL, you have no problem. Now imagine you need a depth player for a game or two, but you can not recall him due to local (non-KHL affiliated) league´s rules.

Per rules, Jokerit would be able to send to the MHL only a few players. It is obvious that the same type of players, who are now at Mestis level, would go to the MHL. Perhaps a few guys from A-juniors if good enough.

If a Finn can move to a Canadian major junior team, he can move the MHL team as well. No difference, still being abroad, education or no education.

Yes, I agree Jokerit needs a reserve team at senior level, the Liiga or the VHL. Regarding a Tallin VHL team, it is possible they launch it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Where do players on two-way deals with Jokerit play now? Mestis? Or juniors? I looked at Embrich & he played Mestis last season, only 5 games in juniors.

I do not know details of rules in Finland, but I can imagine it is similar to Slovan & Slovak league. It is so complicated to send a player on two-way KHL deal to a team of Slovak league. There are limited loans, you can not recall a player when you need. On the other hand, if you send a player to the MHL or the VHL, you have no problem. Now imagine you need a depth player for a game or two, but you can not recall him due to local (non-KHL affiliated) league´s rules.

Per rules, Jokerit would be able to send to the MHL only a few players. It is obvious that the same type of players, who are now at Mestis level, would go to the MHL. Perhaps a few guys from A-juniors if good enough.

If a Finn can move to a Canadian major junior team, he can move the MHL team as well. No difference, still being abroad, education or no education.

Yes, I agree Jokerit needs a reserve team at senior level, the Liiga or the VHL. Regarding a Tallin VHL team, it is possible they launch it.

New rules regarding roster sizes and loan players for next season: https://www.jatkoaika.com/uutiset/mestis-uudisti-kokoonpanosääntöjään-lainapelaajien-määrään-rajoituksia/202066

Kauden aikana joukkueet saavat käyttää enintään 15 lainapelaajaa välillä syyskuu-joulukuu ja enintään 20 lainapelaajaa välillä tammikuu-huhtikuu. Tammikuun ja huhtikuun välillä joukkueessa pelaavista lainapelaajista kuitenkin 15 pitää olla samoja kuin syyskaudella. Maalivahdit eivät vaikuta tähänkään kiintiöön.
Lainapelaajaksi määritellään pelaaja, jolla on sopimus Liiga tai- KHL-joukkueen kanssa missä vaiheessa kautta tahansa tai on kyseisten joukkueiden nuorten joukkueen pelaaja.
Uusien sääntöjen mukaan jokaisella joukkueella täytyy olla myös vähintään 15 omaa sopimuspelaajaa runkosarjan alkaessa.

Translated: During the season teams can use maximum of 15 loan players between September-December and max 20 between January-April. During January April, 15 of the loan players have to be the same as the ones in the Fall. A loan player is someone with a contract witha Liiga or KHL club or plays for the junior clubs of those. Every club must have 15 "own" players by the beginning of the regular season.

The difference between Finns moving to play in North American junior leagues and potential MHL players (which there are none) is that the one s moving to NA are usually so talented that they don't really have to worry about school. Though the US leagues are usually school associated. For these players there's a clear path towards getting drafted to the NHL. Such a path doesn't exist via MHL for Finns. Language is also a major hurdle in that department. For the 19-20 year old players who are in the army, playing junior club hockey abroad is a no no. You only get released for national team duties since that qualifies as service for your country.

A farm club in Liiga is not possible, the league and other clubs don't want one because it would diminish the value of the league. Of course the biggest point in all of this is that despite claim in the beginning, Jokerit reserve players are not EHT level players (they're not the Finnish SKA either when it comes to roster size) and right now, few of them, if any, would strengthen Liiga clubs.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Nice. If you are talented enough, you do not need to care about education. That is not how it works, man.

I recommend you to go & ask Kucherov and others.

Thank you for rules. Still, not clear to me. Can a team loan a player & recall him back next day/week?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nice. If you are talented enough, you do not need to care about education. That is not how it works, man.

I recommend you to go & ask Kucherov and others.

Thank you for rules. Still, not clear to me. Can a team loan a player & recall him back next day/week?

The point was that in Finland, only the most talented ones have not had to care about school after 9th grade. Puljujärvi, Laine, OJ and the like. Those who are not on that talent level and that stay in Finland have to. And more importantly, as has been said numerous times, military service matter more because these players aren't in the same position as NHL players.

In Liiga or Mestis I don't recall there being any time limits. It's only a matter of logistics, how quickly the player can get there.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Looks like we have a new champion - good for Ekatirenburg...but having players such as Rassekin, who spent most of the year in KHL tearing up MHL just makes no sense for me.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Looks like we have a new champion - good for Ekatirenburg...but having players such as Rassekin, who spent most of the year in KHL tearing up MHL just makes no sense for me.
I'm quite sure Loko had more KHL games on their CV's than Avto guys, so lets not pretend seasoned KHL pros coming out on top against kindergarden roster. This is a pretty huge upset if the result holds and I'm happy for the city of Yekaterinburg, they have had an amazing season on all levels.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nice jinx CSKA :laugh:

Avto winning this would have been a pretty huge upset but it's not over yet, evidently. I was also writing how big of the throw this was with this Loko roster leading the series 2-0 but.. Also I think guys on Loko have close to 5 times more KHL games than ones on Avto. Those are basically Rasseikin alone.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also it has to be mentioned Isayev was back in goal. It's hard to blame goaltending when the team isn't scoring at all but at the same time, the difference in quality between him and Okoryak is rather noticeable. Game 6 was a great example as really, both Avto goals were softies. And even when the team still wasn't scoring 1 goal was enough to win game 7.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Chinese team ORG Juniors won it's first MHL game... with 10 skaters (6 defensemen and 4 forwards) vs Dinamo Moscow. Most of Chinese players left the team for international games, and 10 players plus goalies managed to beat Dinamo Moscow, which is the 6th in the Western Conference right now.

It's probably that case, when the fewer the better.

Reactions: cska78

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Pretty unlucky matchup in the 1st round of MHL PO, Stalnye Lisy (Magnitka) with Spiridonov, Dorofeyev, Rozhkov, Sheshin and all the young guys from Kurhan go up against Amirov, Mukhamadullin, Pashin, Aimurzin and all the young guys from Toros. This could easily be the conference final. The series is tied 2-2 at the moment.

Reactions: Witte49

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In light of Jokerit's withdrawal, it would make sense for SKA to send down whoever they can to lower tiers of their system. With SKA-Neva also pretty damn close to elimination, it's entirely possible Askarov, Galenyuk, Marchenko, Morozov, Podkolzin and others are going to have a chance to wreck some carnage in the MHL as soon as the 2nd round of PO.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Pretty unlucky matchup in the 1st round of MHL PO, Stalnye Lisy (Magnitka) with Spiridonov, Dorofeyev, Rozhkov, Sheshin and all the young guys from Kurhan go up against Amirov, Mukhamadullin, Pashin, Aimurzin and all the young guys from Toros. This could easily be the conference final. The series is tied 2-2 at the moment.
So the final game of this series today, Tolpar leads 1-0 after the 1st, Amirov with his first point in the series. Overall, Magnitka has an older team so it would look pretty bad on them to lose to kids who are mostly 2 years younger. It has been that kind of season in Magnitogorsk though.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4