Pre-Game Talk: Metro Division Final: (2) Rangers vs. (1) Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bob Richards*

I don't think we've ever won a playoff series vs. Pittsburgh. Have we?

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I don't think we've ever won a playoff series vs. Pittsburgh. Have we?
I think someone said we were 0 for 4 against the Pens (but that we beat the Pittsburgh Pirates or whatstheirname in 1928 or something...lol).

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Dude! Stop trying to rationalize the situation. Penguins fans are not "fair-weather" fans. Any real hockey fan knew that Crosby would be available in 2005, so the Penguin fans did what any real fans would do to get him, they stopped attending and watching the team in order to drive the team near the brink of bankruptcy. They knew that tanking is the only way to build a successful team, but if they kept giving money to the team, nothing would change. That is why they had to take matters into their own hands. There was a risk that the franchise would have been moved north of the border, but true fans are willing to do what it takes. Now that they have Crosby and a cup, they are free to come back to the team the love.

********! penguins fans are some of the most fair-weather fans I've ever seen. the fans were nowhere to be found when the pens were cellar dwellers and didn't start showing up again until crosby was made the poster boy for the new NHL. don't say dumb **** about how the fans "knew what they were doing" by not showing up to the games to feel the team from making any money. thats a load. they didn't show up because ethe on ice product was garbage. still is. yes they win, but its slew-foot after dive after cheap call in the mellon arena. penguins fans should be disgraced, but instead they are blind to all the diving and cheap shots because they are the "cool" team to root for. makes me sick.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Too many people are picking the Rangers to beat Pittsburgh in 6. Larry Brooks and Stop coaching Pat. Brooks had the Rangers beating Philly in 5 and it went to 7 games. If Mason played the entire series,do the Rangers win? He had a concussion at the beginning of the series. The Rangers had the edge in goal and D against Philly and they nearly lost. The Rangers have the advantage over most clubs in those two areas. It has not translated into much playoff success. Long playoff run success. Lundqvist was spotty until game seven. It will be another long series. How much will the Rangers have left in the tank? The Rangers haven't win a playoff series in less than seven games since 2008 against the Devils. Pittsburgh is the Rangers boogeyman. The Rangers were swept in 1989 by Pittsburgh. The Rangers had fired their coach with 2 games left in the regular season. The team was a wreck. In 1992,the Rangers blew that series. They were the better team but Pittsburgh found a way. Up 4-2 in game 4 with 10 minutes left in the third period. Leading the series 2-1. The Rangers lost the next 3 games. In 1996,the Rangers lost in 5. They lost both games at the Garden. Ken Wregget came off the bench to best them. In 2008,the Rangers were flying high off beating Jersey in 5. Pittsburgh took them out in 5. The Rangers blew game one on a Friday night. Pittsburgh is a much better team than Philly. The schedule works against them. Letang was terrible early in the Columbus series but he played much better later in the series. The Rangers are up against here.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Too many people are picking the Rangers to beat Pittsburgh in 6. Larry Brooks and Stop coaching Pat. Brooks had the Rangers beating Philly in 5 and it went to 7 games. If Mason played the entire series,do the Rangers win? He had a concussion at the beginning of the series. The Rangers had the edge in goal and D against Philly and they nearly lost. The Rangers have the advantage over most clubs in those two areas. It has not translated into much playoff success. Long playoff run success. Lundqvist was spotty until game seven. It will be another long series. How much will the Rangers have left in the tank? The Rangers haven't win a playoff series in less than seven games since 2008 against the Devils. Pittsburgh is the Rangers boogeyman. The Rangers were swept in 1989 by Pittsburgh. The Rangers had fired their coach with 2 games left in the regular season. The team was a wreck. In 1992,the Rangers blew that series. They were the better team but Pittsburgh found a way. Up 4-2 in game 4 with 10 minutes left in the third period. Leading the series 2-1. The Rangers lost the next 3 games. In 1996,the Rangers lost in 5. They lost both games at the Garden. Ken Wregget came off the bench to best them. In 2008,the Rangers were flying high off beating Jersey in 5. Pittsburgh took them out in 5. The Rangers blew game one on a Friday night. Pittsburgh is a much better team than Philly. The schedule works against them. Letang was terrible early in the Columbus series but he played much better later in the series. The Rangers are up against here.

You could have saved yourself 5 mins and just typed 'I don't think we'll win"...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
********! penguins fans are some of the most fair-weather fans I've ever seen. the fans were nowhere to be found when the pens were cellar dwellers and didn't start showing up again until crosby was made the poster boy for the new NHL. don't say dumb **** about how the fans "knew what they were doing" by not showing up to the games to feel the team from making any money. thats a load. they didn't show up because ethe on ice product was garbage. still is. yes they win, but its slew-foot after dive after cheap call in the mellon arena. penguins fans should be disgraced, but instead they are blind to all the diving and cheap shots because they are the "cool" team to root for. makes me sick.

hahahaa he was being sarcastic and it was so obvious. You got another one Reggie!

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I gotta admit, I'm not very confident about this one. I can see us going down in 4 or 5. Sid The Kid has a quiet 6 assists in 6 games so far, I'm willing to bet he explodes on us for a few loud goals.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

All I got out of this is that it's a good thing these aren't the 1989 Rangers. If they lose this series it won't be because Richter gave up a goal from beyond the blue line in 92. Get a grip.

Things don't always work out according to the blueprint. It's dumb to talk about what might have happened had Mason been healthy, especially when Ray ****ing Emery stood on his head to steal game 2. It took the Rangers seven games to win, but that's not indicative of the matchup. The Flyers got some bounces, but we greatly outplayed them for most the series. Weird **** happens in the playoffs. The Leafs weren't close to being as good as the Bruins last year despite almost beating them in seven. Sometimes you have to remember that hockey players are people, not machines.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This series will depend on which Ranger team shows up and how consistently. Don't kid yourself, Columbus dealt out a lot more physicality than Philly did. They've had a few extra days of rest but they've also played a 2OT and an OT game (more or less equalling another game) and definitely have a goalie whose head can be gotten into.

I think we have more of a chance than most people seem to think we do. If our stars come through (Nash, Henrik, St. Louis particularly) then we should win.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Neither the Rangers nor the Penguins gave consistently good efforts in the first round. One of them is going to be a top 4 team. Henrik surely wasn't at his best. Fleury was even worse and showed signs of blowing up again. Some Pens fans saying he held up and did pretty well--but he had a .908 save %--which is very mediocre. There are exploitable areas to the Pens team if you can mitigate the damage of their top two lines. To me this series will go to the team that wants it the most and I'd give the Pens a slight edge--if for no other reason home ice advantage. The Rangers are going to need to get shots and to pressure Fleury and also play great defense. They're capable and they're relatively injury free--if you don't count Kreider and whatever may or may not be wrong with McDonagh. We have much better depth than last year going into the playoffs.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Bunch of horse ****. True fans are willing to be so unsupportive that they are willing to not have a team at all to root for?

I somewhat understand the rationale.

if that guaranteed a change in direction for this franchise, I think I would support the movement.

If the team is losing, year in and year out and the arena is packed, what's the motivation for the front office to do anything other than what they were doing?

Corporations make changes when their bottom line is affected.

Pens got gifted Sid and were terrible enough long enough to get a 2nd franchise player.

Don't think it would ever happen here in NY, but I can understand and appreciate the thought process behind the idea.

AHB*

I gotta admit, I'm not very confident about this one. I can see us going down in 4 or 5. Sid The Kid has a quiet 6 assists in 6 games so far, I'm willing to bet he explodes on us for a few loud goals.

Same thing could be said about Nash. Who had a much better series then anyone seems to notice.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I dont think this is a must win, but its pretty damn huge considering that sunday and monday's back to back schedule is an unprecedented occurrence.

The Rangers need to come out and dictate play right from the start, and bury some goals if the Pens are a tad rusty. (i dont think they will be)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Geez, as someone that posts emotional stuff all the time you're the king of "sky is falling posts". Half of your post is irrational crap about teams that many of the players weren't even born yet at the time. You had some decent points until you started bringing up over 20 year old series and then you lost all of your credibility. Oh and we beat Philly by 3 goals in the 2 games Mason wasn't playing and outplayed the Flyers badly in the first game. There's no guarantee we'd lose either game, not like we barely won. Mason also didn't look concussed. Just because we beat a weaker team in 7 that we outplayed in 6 of 7 games and lost largely due to luck doesn't mean anything in a brand new series. But mostly your 20+ year old series are comical. You try to carry yourself as a rational poster, but this was a completely emotional and irrational post, color me disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad