Melnyk's Townhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Seems to me like this is the "Turris never offered us 6 years" part 2.

They are trying to craft a narrative where when Erik Karlsson declines their below market value offer, they can say that we offered the best money a poor small market team like us could, and Erik Karlsson didn't really care all that much about staying in Ottawa, because Melnyk offered him the best he could, and Karlsson wouldn't take it.

They've already decided to trade Karlsson, but they're not letting the guy off easy. They are gonna try and make him the one to walk away from an extension, not the otherway around.

Perfectly put. Unfortunately for Pierre and Euge, nobody will buy it.

In 5 years? Karlsson will have won more Norris trophies, Eugene will have drunk himself to bankruptcy, and Dorion will be back scouting Junior A players in Northern Ontario.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Emerica

May 29, 2010
We all knew it was coming. This time though, the fans won't buy it.
I wouldn’t be so sure. We’ll see. There is still plenty of fans who believe Melnyk and co. can do no wrong even after all that has been done or said. For those people I doubt was has been said today will change much.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
All this bickering and attacks back and forth is quite amusing, reminds more of political discussions than those about hockey!

That said, with the high demand it makes total sense that STH get the priority to attend and if STH “sold out” the 3 dates then so be it.

However, it’s incredibly short sided to not include other non-STH fans via some form of remote webcast (doesn’t even need to be live). They’re your potential customers, they might have money in hand waiting to see if they should spend money on tickets this year. If Melnyk is confident with his plan for this team, why can’t ALL fans hear from the owner directly? Not from an article, not from someone paraphrasing and adding their personal bias and commentary. He didn’t seem to have to much of an issue badmouthing the city and fan base on national TV.

At the end of the day, these town halls are pointless. Eugene won’t suddenly realize his mistakes, he won’t find any more money there. Nothing will change, no questions or comments will make any lasting impact with Melnyk or affect how he runs HIS team.

I’m not a “#MelnykOut at all costs” kind of guy, if he takes legitimate and concrete steps to make this franchise respectable again, then I’ll be back. But until I see something improve, I’m not spending another $ on this team outside of paying Bell whatever it costs to get TSN. The on-ice product was just bad this year, the off-ice product was even worse. The fans/customers only true voice is their wallet. It’s looking pretty clear that a lot of them are unhappy and rather spend their entertainment money elsewhere than for a mediocre product. I can buy some really nice stuff with the $500 it costs to go see a game with good seats, food and parking. Why should I spend it on this team that just expects me to hand it over no matter what product is presented to me.

Eugene needs to do way more than these Town Halls to mend the fences with this fanbase, but at least it’s a start, so let’s see what happens.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The difference in other offers would be minimal, if Ottawa actually offered a "fair" deal. If we offer him 10.5/year and another team can offer 12 (which is realistically the most anyone would pay him), we could still give him an 8 year deal instead of 7 to even it out.

The real issue? Dorion and Melnyk will offer between 7.25-8 per year, and consider that fair. Then they'll say it's Karlsson's fault and he didn't buy in to their great plan to make Ottawa the MECCA OF HOCKEY.

I have a feeling they'll offer him the Subban contract.

If I am in their shoes, and trying to offer Karlsson a contract that he might look like a greedy ass to casual fans who read the Ottawa Sun for declining, that's the contract I offer him. That way, it can be painted that he turned down the same money as Subban, and more money than Hedman, Burns, and every other top defender in the league. So then it could be framed as if how badly does he want to stay in Ottawa if we want to make him the top paid defender, and that's not enough.

Obviously, that ignores a lot of nuances of how the salary cap works and grows, but the truth won't get int he way of the narrative in this case.

Maybe I am just reading too much into these comments, or something was lost in translation, but I think we're seeing some Game Of Sens shit here. I wouldn't even be surprised if Karlsson picking up the puck was his way of playing (what is it the kids call it now?) 5D chess. They won't let Karlsson off easy. They aren't going to let him get traded without being able to say "We offered to make him the highest paid defenseman in the league, higher than Subban, Hedman, Burns, and he turned it down". If Karlsson wants out, they are going to put him in a position where it looks like he has chosen to walk out instead of being pushed out.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
HAHAHAHA, that's just funny. I picture a Simpsons'esque pitchfork scene, with Melnyk as Mr. Burns and Dorion as Mr. Smithers
29w3.gif

Reactions: BondraTime

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Melnyk wrapping things up on a good note... How is this man a successful business man..

LOL! Sweet mother, reading through some of the question and answers and they are more alarming than i could have imagined,....the parking lot slide, setting the ek low ball up, 3 to 5 years...hope theres security onsite things could get ugly!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have a feeling they'll offer him the Subban contract.

If I am in their shoes, and trying to offer Karlsson a contract that he might look like a greedy ass to casual fans who read the Ottawa Sun for declining, that's the contract I offer him. That way, it can be painted that he turned down the same money as Subban, and more money than Hedman, Burns, and every other top defender in the league. So then it could be framed as if how badly does he want to stay in Ottawa if we want to make him the top paid defender, and that's not enough.

Obviously, that ignores a lot of nuances of how the salary cap works and grows, but the truth won't get int he way of the narrative in this case.

Maybe I am just reading too much into these comments, or something was lost in translation, but I think we're seeing some Game Of Sens **** here. I wouldn't even be surprised if Karlsson picking up the puck was his way of playing (what is it the kids call it now?) 5D chess. They won't let Karlsson off easy. They aren't going to let him get traded without being able to say "We offered to make him the highest paid defenseman in the league, higher than Subban, Hedman, Burns, and he turned it down". If Karlsson wants out, they are going to put him in a position where it looks like he has chosen to walk out instead of being pushed out.

Exactly the balls in Karlsson's court just like the ball was in Turris's court... Oh that was never on the table .. followed by melinda tweeting a lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad