#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Been a fan since we got the team... been over 25 years,and we still are a budget team???We havent grown our market??,wonder who,s fault that is???

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Been a fan since we got the team... been over 25 years,and we still are a budget team???We havent grown our market??,wonder who,s fault that is???
The 0 for 4 vs the Leafs was MASSIVE in stunting the growth of the fanbase You can thank Jacques Martin.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The 0 for 4 vs the Leafs was MASSIVE in stunting the growth of ghe fanbase You can thank Jacques Martin.
Us spending less than half that many of those leaf teams did was also a huge factor....I think the last series they spent close to 80 mil on their team,us was somewhere around 40 or so...

The cap was supposed to make things even,yet we never get close to the cap ever...So any advantage we could have had is out the window

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The 0 for 4 vs the Leafs was MASSIVE in stunting the growth of the fanbase You can thank Jacques Martin.
I'd prefer to thank our management's decision to never go get a bloody top end goalie to backstop our team. Also, Domi's dive into the dasher and the refs falling for it come to mind.

Jacques Martin on the other hand near brought instant credibility to the franchise. You can in large part thank him for the leaps this team took early on.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd prefer to thank our management's decision to never go get a bloody top end goalie to backstop our team. Also, Domi's dive into the dasher and the refs falling for it come to mind.

Jacques Martin on the other hand near brought instant credibility to the franchise. You can in large part thank him for the leaps this team took early on.

Well they did bring a top end goalie after the 4th loss. But some other things got in the way after that.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Jacques is a good coach who did a great job producing an outstanding regular season team.

His inability to adjust tactics to playoff hockey killed the team vs the Leafs.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I guess....Why not keep saying the exact same thing for a quarter of a century....LOL

It's the same lip service as "spend when the time is right" which we have seen the time come and go a few times with no increase in spending, im sure they will continue to push that narrative as well.

Brought that up with the ticket rep and they pointed to the salary cap and our artificial position on the list, after I was done laughing I explained to them the difference between the salary cap and actual salary dollars spent which I assume/hope they knew. At this time I do not plan on renewing and the actions of the org/owner since my decision have only further confirmed to me I have made the right call!

Reactions: topshelf15

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's the same lip service as "spend when the time is right" which we have seen the time come and go a few times with no increase in spending, im sure they will continue to push that narrative as well.

Brought that up with the ticket rep and they pointed to the salary cap and our artificial position on the list, after I was done laughing I explained to them the difference between the salary cap and actual salary dollars spent which I assume/hope they knew. At this time I do not plan on renewing and the actions of the org/owner since my decision have only further confirmed to me I have made the right call!
I feel horrible for ticket reps these days. Imagine being told no so often in so many different ways and with 0 wiggle room. I told mine I'd gladly get back onboard and to call me the moment Melnyk is gone. He didn't even fight me all that much on it, just said it wasn't the first time he's heard it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I feel horrible for ticket reps these days. Imagine being told no so often in so many different ways and with 0 wiggle room. I told mine I'd gladly get back onboard and to call me the moment Melnyk is gone. He didn't even fight me all that much on it, just said it wasn't the first time he's heard it.

A horrific job right now for sure, I cringe just thinking about it, I made sure to remind them many times that the reps I have had generally did a good job with what I assume are very little resources to work from and my decision had nothing to do with them,, I also indicated I would be right back with my cash if he is gone or a real organizational shift occurs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jacques is a good coach who did a great job producing an outstanding regular season team.

His inability to adjust tactics to playoff hockey killed the team vs the Leafs.
You can't coach goaltending come playoff time. Tactics or not, we always had a giant disadvantage in nets. It's also worth noting that the leafs were ahead of us in the standings for all but one of those series.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You can't coach goaltending come playoff time. Tactics or not, we always had a giant disadvantage in nets. It's also worth noting that the leafs were ahead of us in the standings for all but one of those series.
1 of the 4 series the Sens had the better record, buf in the semi finsl match up the Leafs were decimated by injuries.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
1 of the 4 series the Sens had the better record, buf in the semi finsl match up the Leafs were decimated by injuries.

Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph vs Patrick Lalime and a washed Tom Barrasso.

I don't think it takes the power of hindsight to know that the Leafs were FAR better at the most important position for every single one of those series.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2 of the 4 series the Sens had the better record

1999-2000 : Toronto 100 pts, Ottawa 95. Toronto beats sens in 6
2000-2001 : Ottawa 109 pts, Toronto 90: Toronto sweeps series :(
2001-2002 : Toronto 100 pts, Ottawa 94: Toronto wins series in 7
2003-2004 : Toronto 103 pts, Ottawa 102: Toronto wins in 7

Feel free to look it up though.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was never able to find confirmation that the fixed the tax issues with that, good to know Canadian teams have been able to do so for the last 2 years.

Back when it was launched, teams could get loans at 2%. I doubt though that the team would have an additional 100 mil with the league on top of the ~150 estimated loans they were seeking when this wasn't available. I'd suggest they'd have moved as much over to the league credit facility once available, rather than just take out additional loans, and currently have the same grand total in financing as before, or thereabouts.

I agree with your view here

which kind of puts to bed any notion that financing charges on debt are killing the franchise

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well 61% of fans said they'd buy more tickets if Eugene was gone. The other 39% still needs to wake up apparently.

Sensung you've been on these boards for about 6 months and in that time you've posted over 1000 messages, almost all of them taking a shot at something you don't like about the team or directly at people that don't hold your views. You behave like a petulant child having a shit fit at the check out counter because you aren't getting a chocolate bar.

How dare you tell anyone they need to wake up. Look at your own behaviour on these boards before you start telling 39% of the fanbase what to do.

You don't like Melnyk. We get it. You've been flooding this board with your thoughts on Melnyk for 6 months.

You're crossing a line telling other people, me included, to wake up and adopt your point of view

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
1999-2000 : Toronto 100 pts, Ottawa 95. Toronto beats sens in 6
2000-2001 : Ottawa 109 pts, Toronto 90: Toronto sweeps series :(
2001-2002 : Toronto 100 pts, Ottawa 94: Toronto wins series in 7
2003-2004 : Toronto 103 pts, Ottawa 102: Toronto wins in 7

Feel free to look it up though.
I did and corrected it, thanks.

The Sens were clear favourites in 2 of the series with the Leafs decimated with injuries in the semi final match up.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Sensung you've been on these boards for about 6 months and in that time you've posted over 1000 messages, almost all of them taking a shot at something you don't like about the team or directly at people that don't hold your views. You behave like a petulant child having a **** fit at the check out counter because you aren't getting a chocolate bar.

How dare you tell anyone they need to wake up. Look at your own behaviour on these boards before you start telling 39% of the fanbase what to do.

You don't like Melnyk. We get it. You've been flooding this board with your thoughts on Melnyk for 6 months.

You're crossing a line telling other people, me included, to wake up and adopt your point of view
Context is your friend...consider using it.

Look at the post/poster I was responding to with my tongue in cheek post.
From BackinBlack
"1 badyear after a great season and "some of the fan base" has gone to hell.

I'm here through thick & thin...."

And

"Those folks are called S.M.R.T fans...."

It's called responding in kind.

And while you're here, care to comment on how our operating revenue has been positive for the past half decade while our player budget has stayed steady or declined?

And i take shots at Melnyk, not the team. He richly deserves the criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heady Topper

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Alfie was forced out twice, best player in the history of the franchise being sold, Methot sold, Ceci glorified, boring style of hockey, lots has changed.
Wrong and wrong. Alfie could not handle the fact that he HAD to honour his contract he signed with BM. Then, he tried to recoup what he thought he lost in the last year, but as far as I know, Alfie is a grown man who made his decision with BM and was absolutely thrilled with that signing in the past. In hindsight, good thing, because he was a passenger in Detroit. So, I disagree, then, Methot...the guy they had to protect would not waive his no trade., so they had to choose someone to protect, and possibly they chose the wrong guy to protect. So, they had to deal with what they had in front of them, they did not sell Methot.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Wrong and wrong. Alfie could not handle the fact that he HAD to honour his contract he signed with BM. Then, he tried to recoup what he thought he lost in the last year, but as far as I know, Alfie is a grown man who made his decision with BM and was absolutely thrilled with that signing in the past. In hindsight, good thing, because he was a passenger in Detroit. So, I disagree, then, Methot...the guy they had to protect would not waive his no trade., so they had to choose someone to protect, and possibly they chose the wrong guy to protect. So, they had to deal with what they had in front of them, they did not sell Methot.

You've been provided with evidence that suggests otherwise and you conviently chose to ignore it. You have no credibility and I'm positive everyone here knows that.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
So, our fanbase was good enough in the past to prove the market's viability, but now they aren't? What changed?
With all due respect, the non paying fans in Ottawa have come up with soooo many excuses not to go to a game, from the parking, to the concessions, to the lack of entertainment in between plays, etc. They have chosen to hate the owner and take it very personally. They have forgotten to support the super stars who are kids love and admire because the non paying fans feelings are hurt. As I have stated before, not supporting your team by not showing up at the games has a lot more collateral damage than just the owner. The players, the staff, the employees, the restaurants in the arena and outside the arena etc.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
You've been provided with evidence that suggests otherwise and you conviently chose to ignore it. You have no credibility and I'm positive everyone here knows that.
Sorry there newbie, actually, I just skipped over the dialogue above. But thanks for pointing that out. You must be a lot more credible than I.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad