#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
How do you know that there are buyers in Ottawa? Is there anyone confirmed in 2018 that they want to buy the Sens?

And also if the NHL thinks that there is more money to be made somewhere else and they don't have to fight for attendance, then local buyers aren't going to stop them from moving the team, come on now.
You really haven't been paying attention to this situation if you think the NHL is letting Melnyk move the team or submarine the Lebreton deal.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
How do you know that there are buyers in Ottawa? Is there anyone confirmed in 2018 that they want to buy the Sens?

And also if the NHL thinks that there is more money to be made somewhere else and they don't have to fight for attendance, then local buyers aren't going to stop them from moving the team, come on now.

Obviously none of us know if there are, but their are a lot of wealthy people in Ottawa who have been rumored to be interested including the group that own Cirque and the Devcore group.
Personally I also wouldn't count out Jeff Hunt either,current owner of the Redblacks and the 67's he knows the passion and the city has for hockey.

But one thing we know for sure is the team won't move until the league has 100% exhausted all other ownership opportunities in Ottawa.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Obviously none of us know if there are, but their are a lot of wealthy people in Ottawa who have been rumored to be interested including the group that own Cirque and the Devcore group.
Personally I also wouldn't count out Jeff Hunt either,current owner of the Redblacks and the 67's he knows the passion and the city has for hockey.

But one thing we know for sure is the team won't move until the league has 100% exhausted all other ownership opportunities in Ottawa.

Hunt has already denied that plus he doesn't have that kind of cash

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Hunt has already denied that plus he doesn't have that kind of cash

Well obviously he's declined it, he's not going to come out and say he will buy the team.. But if he doesn't have the cash thats a different story, I don't know much about him.

but my point still stands. There are wealthy people in Ottawa who would love to explore that opportunity

Reactions: Daffy

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You really haven't been paying attention to this situation if you think the NHL is letting Melnyk move the team or submarine the Lebreton deal.

And what does the NHL do when the Ottawa Senators brand has been so badly damaged that it's beyond repair? Most people on this sub have no desire to go to games because of how big of a tire fire this organization is, and these are die hard fans.

If the Senators lose Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, and the 2019 1st overall (and that's looking pretty damn likely at this point), I don't see how this franchise is supposed to win back their fans, because I guarantee you that the average attendance will be under 10,000.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
And what does the NHL do when the Ottawa Senators brand has been so badly damaged that it's beyond repair? Most people on this sub have no desire to go to games because of how big of a tire fire this organization is, and these are die hard fans.

If the Senators lose Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, and the 2019 1st overall (and that's looking pretty damn likely at this point), I don't see how this franchise is supposed to win back their fans, because I guarantee you that the average attendance will be under 10,000.

Just about every member on this board says they won't go to the games for 1 reason: Eugene Melnyk. Once new ownership comes into place, I'd be willing to bet people will start to show up again.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Just about every member on this board says they won't go to the games for 1 reason: Eugene Melnyk. Once new ownership comes into place, I'd be willing to bet people will start to show up again.

But Melnyk isn't selling the team, he has repeatedly said he will never sell the team, so that's not going to happen. He will run this franchise into the ground before he sells. By the time that the NHL steps in, the team will have already lost Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, the 2019 1st, attendance will be around 5000. So you really think the NHL is going to look at the franchise that can't crack 5000 people, doesn't have a stable owner and decide to keep the team in Ottawa? I highly doubt it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think there is more potential in Arizona and Florida than there is in Quebec City.

Ok, so pick another location, Seatle, for example, or Houston. I personally think it's a far safer bet that Quebec would succeed than that Arizona or Florida will ever reach their potential

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
But Melnyk isn't selling the team, he has repeatedly said he will never sell the team, so that's not going to happen.

That's not going to be his choice if he goes bankrupt. Which is going to happen if he doesn't sell the team.

Its pretty common knowledge these days the Senators fans don't support the team financially (IE go to games, etc..) because of one thing: Melnyk.

A potential buyer is going to look at the situation as a buy low opportunity. All a new owner has to do is come in and not piss off a fan base that is generally very forgiving, and they will profit from this team.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ok, so pick another location, Seatle, for example, or Houston. I personally think it's a far safer bet that Quebec would succeed than that Arizona or Florida will ever reach their potential

Possibly, but do those teams owners have any interest in relocation? As far as I'm aware, Melnyk is the only owner in the league that has openly discussed relocation as a possibility. The difference between Florida, Arizona, and Ottawa is that the ownership of those two teams haven't expressed any interest in moving the team (that I'm aware of), while Melnyk has openly said he'd be open to the idea. It's a lot easier to move a team when the owner wants to do it.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
0EC6DFDA-53D1-4614-A0AA-B3DD95EB3719.jpeg

Reactions: Benjamin

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
That's not going to be his choice if he goes bankrupt. Which is going to happen if he doesn't sell the team.

Its pretty common knowledge these days the Senators fans don't support the team financially (IE go to games, etc..) because of one thing: Melnyk.

A potential buyer is going to look at the situation as a buy low opportunity. All a new owner has to do is come in and not piss off a fan base that is generally very forgiving, and they will profit from this team.

Is Melnyk going bankrupt anything more than a rumor? This guy doesn't spend any of his personal money on the team, so he's not actually losing any of his own money annually. If the man can afford to build a massive entertainment center in the most desired piece of land in Ottawa, he can certainly afford to stay afloat for the foreseeable future.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Is Melnyk going bankrupt anything more than a rumor? This guy doesn't spend any of his personal money on the team, so he's not actually losing any of his own money annually. If the man can afford to build a massive entertainment center in the most desired piece of land in Ottawa, can certainly afford to stay afloat for the foreseeable future.

It's pretty obvious he can't.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Is Melnyk going bankrupt anything more than a rumor? This guy doesn't spend any of his personal money on the team, so he's not actually losing any of his own money annually. If the man can afford to build a massive entertainment center in the most desired piece of land in Ottawa, he can certainly afford to stay afloat for the foreseeable future.

Can you confirm he can afford it? Cause it sure seems to the rest of us he is slowly backing out of it. (Mayor still waiting to talk Lebreton Flats with Senators' owner - OttawaMatters.com)

Jim Watson wants to start seeing progress on one of the city's biggest projects for its downtown.
"The sooner we can get shovels in the ground, the better," Watson told the Rick Gibbons Show on 1310 NEWS.
But, there's just one problem. The Mayor still hasn't been able to set up a meeting with Ottawa Senators Owner Eugene Melnyk.
"We're working with his office to get a date sometime in the next month," said Watson.
But, that was exactly was he was saying in late April.
The Mayor has been trying to have a sit down meeting with Melnyk since his commitment level to the new arena project seemed to waver in his meetings with season ticket holders.
"Stop musing about not wanting to come downtown. Because I'm not going to waste my time, and I don't think the NCC wants to waste its time if every once in a while the Owner pops up and says 'well maybe we don't have to move downtown'," Watson said.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Based on what exactly?

The fact that the guy he hired to spearhead the entire operation vanished like a fart in the wind. After years of telling everyone we need a downtown rink in order to compete all of a sudden when push comes to shove, he doesn't know if he wants to move because he doesn't want to alienate the fans in Kanata? Give me a break.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
But Melnyk isn't selling the team, he has repeatedly said he will never sell the team, so that's not going to happen. He will run this franchise into the ground before he sells. By the time that the NHL steps in, the team will have already lost Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, the 2019 1st, attendance will be around 5000. So you really think the NHL is going to look at the franchise that can't crack 5000 people, doesn't have a stable owner and decide to keep the team in Ottawa? I highly doubt it.
Melynk won't be allowed to move.

The fans can empty the building knowing the NHL is aware that it is nothing more than a complete rejection of this owner and that the market is sound.

I really have a hard time believing that anyone still thinks that Melnyk can't be forced out.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The fact that the guy he hired to spearhead the entire operation vanished like a fart in the wind. After years of telling everyone we need a downtown rink in order to compete all of a sudden when push comes to shove, he doesn't know if he wants to move because he doesn't want to alienate the fans in Kanata? Give me a break.

To add to that, I do remember seeing a headline today (or was it yesterday?) that Watson is trying to push for an LRT line out to Kanata asap. Sounds like the folks out that way won't have an excuse to miss games once Lebreton is built.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Whats the point? we cant afford him, and it would be better for him to go play elsewhere, this franchise is in auto-destruct, its a black hole. what good is it gonna do to keep Karlsson?

The point is to show we're not going to support the team if they keep destroying it. Melnyk can do whatever he wants but he'll lose the city's support and have to sell eventually anyway.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Yes, they're fully aware the problem is Melnyk and not the market. We've shown we fully support a team that respects itself and the fanbase.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad