#MelnykOut Billboards UP

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

5 billboards going up around the city of Ottawa today.

The fundraisers 5k goal was reached in 24 hours and doubled in a weekend.

My own personal experience, I was a Sens season ticket holder for years. I had to move away for work for a few years, but moved back to the city this year. I tried for over 2 weeks to purchase seasons tickets again. All my calls and emails went unanswered, and this f*** has the balls to say they can't sell tickets lol He's gutted the entire staff.

Worst owner in the NHL.

Edit: also a website is now up. www.melnykout.ca

Last edited:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
These kind of things are much more effective when they are GMs or coaches who can be fired. You can’t fire an owner

It's just a good way to show the fans frustration on a bigger scale and goes against the notion that we won't spend money on the team.

8 months ago I was begging the team to take 2500 bucks from me and nobody was there to answer the phone, so instead my money goes into stuff like this to voice my frustration.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
These kind of things are much more effective when they are GMs or coaches who can be fired. You can’t fire an owner

At some point Melnyk is going to get tired and sell. Not saying that it's tomorrow because of that billboard but I doubt he will sit there with his team in 10 years.

Reactions: El Cohiba

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Who are the realistic local options to buy the team from Melnyk? Would these potential buyers be committed to keeping the team in Ottawa?

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
8 months ago I was begging the team to take 2500 bucks from me and nobody was there to answer the phone
Man.. Is this really the only way to buy tickets? you'd think in 2018 you wouldn't need to talk to someone on a phone to make a purchase. or is this regular practice in NA?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It's just a good way to show the fans frustration on a bigger scale and goes against the notion that we won't spend money on the team.

8 months ago I was begging the team to take 2500 bucks from me and nobody was there to answer the phone, so instead my money goes into stuff like this to voice my frustration.
is that tge price of seasons tickets?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Man.. Is this really the only way to buy tickets? you'd think in 2018 you wouldn't need to talk to someone on a phone to make a purchase. or is this regular practice in NA?

I don't know about other teams, but it is for the Sens. If I could have just bought tickets online I would have. Here you have to go through an account manager. God only knows how many of those left Melnyk has employed.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Melnyk owns the tam, what are these billboards going to do? Embarrass him into selling? He's not that weak

Reactions: SniperHF

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I don't know about other teams, but it is for the Sens. If I could have just bought tickets online I would have. Here you have to go through an account manager. God only knows how many of those left Melnyk has employed.
That is genuinely shocking news to me. But oh well, I hope you get em!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Iceman said:
At some point Melnyk is going to get tired and sell. Not saying that it's tomorrow because of that billboard but I doubt he will sit there with his team in 10 years.

Who are the realistic local options to buy the team from Melnyk? Would these potential buyers be committed to keeping the team in Ottawa?

Personally, I think he's going to wait until the new arena gets put in.

The value of the franchise will never be higher at that point.

I suspect he will build it as cheap as possible to maximize his profit.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
You're right.

People should just sit on their hands and never say or do anything.

Actually, the point is, if you are going to do something, at least do something that might effect change. This, nor the whiners in the US, will get what they want. In fact, when it comes to the US, their actions will just prolong their own misery (well, I doubt it matters what happens, loser always tend to be miserable).

Reactions: Flamesss

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
wow. that's crazy to me. I was at thebleafs game on the weekend and our 2 tickets tigether were 900 face value.

I paid a lot more of that for the Winter Classic.

I expected more from the ACC I guess, with such a massive population to draw from and so few tickets available for regular sale.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
You're right.

People should just sit on their hands and never say or do anything.

That isn't what they said... You should use your time and energy on what will actually accomplish something

These billboards are a waste and classless. If you hate Melnyk, buy the team from him. Or stop buying tickets

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I thought this guy was loved not to long ago. This team was an OT win away from the Stanley cup finals last year and there was still empty seats for cheap prices.
The team sucked this year. What went wrong? Is melnyk to blame?
Why is he a bad owner? Honest question.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

I agree. My thought is that the effect it might have is to push Melnyk into spending more and paying the money it takes to sign Karlsson rather than trade him. But I don’t think it moves the needle for him to sell

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mike Lowry said:
Actually, the point is, if you are going to do something, at least do something that might effect change. This, nor the whiners in the US, will get what they want. In fact, when it comes to the US, their actions will just prolong their own misery (well, I doubt it matters what happens, loser always tend to be miserable).

There's a time and a place for all that though. Protesting something just because it didn't/doesn't go your way is pretty pointless. Too many participation trophies.

DearDiary said:
That isn't what they said... You should use your time and energy on what will actually accomplish something

This is funny stuff.

Ottawa stops buying tickets and everyone calls them a terrible market for hockey. That's doing something.

As for the billboards, it's chump change and it will raise awareness nationwide about what's going on in this town.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I paid a lot more of that for the Winter Classic.

I expected more from the ACC I guess, with such a massive population to draw from and so few tickets available for regular sale.
you thought the tickets for a normal everyday game were more than 450 each?

and that's all seasons ticket holders, you can't get tickets any other way. in other words, that isbthe face value. that obviously doesn't include the 200k per seat for the seasons ticket license.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought this guy was loved not to long ago. This team was an OT win away from the Stanley cup finals last year and there was still empty seats for cheap prices.
The team sucked this year. What went wrong? Is melnyk to blame?
Why is he a bad owner? Honest question.

He's a bad owner because he's cheap about everything.

He turned the air conditioning off in the gym during the summer for the players to work out in. That kind of thing.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Personally, I think he's going to wait until the new arena gets put in.

The value of the franchise will never be higher at that point.

I suspect he will build it as cheap as possible to maximize his profit.
This

NyQuil said exactly what I was thinking. He’s got the Lebreton flats deal and now has no incentive to sell with the value at a low point. He’s going to wait until the new arena is up and going and then sell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad