News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
No.

Your suggetion presumes that the Municipal Government wants to quash the Lebreton deal, on a centrally located site, that has sat dormant for over 50 years, solely to force a NHL owner, who does want to, sell his franchise.

The Federal Government, through the NCC, started the tendering/bidding process to redevelop Lebreton years ago, and awarded the right to do so, to the RLG, is not going to break of negotiations to force a NHL owner to sell his team.

I mean I guess I do presume that both the federal and municipal governments want to be re-elected and are therefore susceptible to pressure from the Ottawa community. I don't necessarily have a strong view on whether exerting that pressure is a smart or worthwhile endeavour for Sens fans to take on. From a naive perspective, I could imagine pressure there being able to cause as much of a headache to Melnyk as boycotting the Sens.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
We should start a campaign to get Elon Musk to buy the team. All of our players could have generators in their skates, which is used to propel the arena into space. And no taxes in space, so we could buy every player at a discount.

I outdo myself sometimes.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We should start a campaign to get Elon Musk to buy the team. All of our players could have generators in their skates, which is used to propel the arena into space. And no taxes in space, so we could buy every player at a discount.

I outdo myself sometimes.
Maybe he can send Dorion and Melnyk to one of those space tourism trips.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
someone with web design skills needs to organize a boycott like an actual website where we can leave Esignatures pledging not to spend a dollar on the team.
Have a survey, how many games do you normally attend? What do you spend on concessions etc. Give and actual dollar amount that people will not be giving the Sens this year.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Have a survey, how many games do you normally attend? What do you spend on concessions etc. Give and actual dollar amount that people will not be giving the Sens this year.
How long would it take for some wise guy (likely a non-Sens fan) to go in and deliberately throw off the numbers? Or, alternatively, for the decision-makers to believe someone did? Never give people online a chance to make a mockery out of anything or they will.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
How long would it take for some wise guy (likely a non-Sens fan) to go in and deliberately throw off the numbers? Or, alternatively, for the decision-makers to believe someone did? Never give people online a chance to make a mockery out of anything or they will.

Ever dealt with stats before? Those are outliers. You remove them.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Gino Reda was on TSN 1050 today talking about Melnyk’s need to shed the Ryan contract and stay at the cap floor. Says it could make sense that Melnyk might want to minimize his debts and salary owing to maximize the value for a sale.

Would make sense that he got a better interest rate on his loan as well.

wiindjammer

Apr 1, 2011
Sens fans deserve better than Melnyk. Its a shame and I hope it doesnt do permanent damage to this franchise,,,,

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Gino Reda was on TSN 1050 today talking about Melnyk’s need to shed the Ryan contract and stay at the cap floor. Says it could make sense that Melnyk might want to minimize his debts and salary owing to maximize the value for a sale.

Would make sense that he got a better interest rate on his loan as well.

Okay, yes it's common practice to trim the fat before selling a company to make the books look better....but I don't think the logic here makes sense.

So they are saying that a new owner coming in wants Melnyk to trade Karlsson so that Ryan is off the books and they can save 14 mil (actual cost after a Ryan buyout) on a 500-600 million dollar transaction? 14 million that is probably cut in half if you factor in the positive revenue benefits of having Karlsson on the team.

I would be shocked if a new owner coming in wanted Karlsson traded knowing that with a new owner he probably decides to stay in Ottawa.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Okay, yes it's common practice to trim the fat before selling a company to make the books look better....but I don't think the logic here makes sense.

So they are saying that a new owner coming in wants Melnyk to trade Karlsson so that Ryan is off the books and they can save 14 mil (actual cost after a Ryan buyout) on a 500-600 million dollar transaction? 14 million that is probably cut in half if you factor in the positive revenue benefits of having Karlsson on the team.

I would be shocked if a new owner coming in wanted Karlsson traded knowing that with a new owner he probably decides to stay in Ottawa.

Playing devils' advocate for a moment:

Maybe if the new owners want to start from scratch and rebuild? Get Melynk to take the fan heat (since he does anyways) to move Karlsson (and Ryan), and when the new owners show up, they have a couple years with low expectations and low budget before getting that arena up in Lebreton. If they time it right, they could have an exciting young team on the rise right when the new arena opens.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Maybe if the new owners want to start from scratch and rebuild? Get Melynk to take the fan heat (since he does anyways) to move Karlsson (and Ryan), and when the new owners show up, they have a couple years with low expectations and low budget before getting that arena up in Lebreton. If they time it right, they could have an exciting young team on the rise right when the new arena opens.

That's fair and totally plausible.

It would be a huge risk though. You have the entire fan base begging for them to keep him and then you make a backdoor deal with Melnyk to get rid of him...that's playing with a lot of fire.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
That's fair and totally plausible.

It would be a huge risk though. You have the entire fan base begging for them to keep him and then you make a backdoor deal with Melnyk to get rid of him...that's playing with a lot of fire.
Ya, if it ever got out, they'd be dead right from the start.

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
I have the faint hope that maybe Alfie has told EK65 to seek a trade getting a return on him for the organization but don't sign an extension with the team you are traded to, and on July 1st 2019, return to Ottawa under hopefully new ownership.

Karlsson and Bobby Ryan to Colorado for a package including our 1st Round Pick in return, and then Karlsson returns to Ottawa a year later during free agency.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have the faint hope that maybe Alfie has told EK65 to seek a trade getting a return on him for the organization but don't sign an extension with the team you are traded to, and on July 1st 2019, return to Ottawa under hopefully new ownership.

Karlsson and Bobby Ryan to Colorado for a package including our 1st Round Pick in return, and then Karlsson returns to Ottawa a year later during free agency.

Wishful thinking, I have lost all hope unfortunately. #65 is gone, the fans are getting robbed by Eugene Melnyk. And we will pay him back by boycotting Sens or Melnyk related products/merchandise. Will follow on TV, and will follow EK on his new team as much as it would suck to see him succeed in a different jersey.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

I was thinking about that one too. Or, the syndicate that lent him the money had conditions on the loan that he lower his expenses in order to guarantee he can pay them back without going further into debt. He might need a cap floor team for many years so he can pay them back. As the saying goes, follow the money.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I’d be thinking any new owner would want EK65.....so I think there is no sale.

Not yet but I think Eugene is preparing for one. The guy wants to hold on for LeBreton and is trying to sink as little money into the team as possible. There's no way he doesn't sell within the next 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad