News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Melnyk could publicly say he'll offer Karlsson 3 million max and there would a select few here that would deny his cheapness and blame it on evil media trying to make Ottawa look bad.

I can't tell if they're trolls or just operating on few brain cells.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think if there was poll put out to fans, you'd be surprised at how many really do dislike him. I'm appreciate of things he's done in the past but he's caused a tremendous amount of harm to the team the last 5 years even if it's just fan perception.

Perception is not reality ......... and that's the point I've been trying to make. The haters want their Perception to be reality, and read into everything their biased opinion, but are surprised that not everyone agrees with them.

No one is forcing you or anyone to attend Senators games, or even to watch them on TV.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Perception is not reality ......... and that's the point I've been trying to make. The haters want their Perception to be reality, and read into everything their biased opinion, but are surprised that not everyone agrees with them.

No one is forcing you or anyone to attend Senators games, or even to watch them on TV.
That's a lot of haters for someone nobody can prove is hated.

Reactions: bert

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa

Who said I was being forced to watch the games. I've been at probably 80% of all home games since 07 and from my experience he's disliked. Anyways put out a poll on this board see what the results are.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think comparing fan reaction on social media and radio with other fanbases is good enough. That does a decent enough job for projection.

Yeah, social media and fans calling in after games is truly the most scientific method of polling the entire fanbase of the Senators....... that's why polling companies have all gone out of business...........

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Melnyk could publicly say he'll offer Karlsson 3 million max and there would a select few here that would deny his cheapness and blame it on evil media trying to make Ottawa look bad.

Personally not a big fan of him but the opposite is also true, EM could come out and say all the right things and many would still find fault in it and him.

Yeah, social media and fans calling in after games is truly the most scientific method of polling the entire fanbase of the Senators....... that's why polling companies have all gone out of business...........

In both cases the amount of fans complaining is basically a handful of people, likely not a true representation of the total amount but hard to use as an argument as fact the entire fanbase dislikes the guy.

Also typically with humans you are more likely to voice your displeasure than your gratitude thus why we generally hear more complaints in life rather than compliments, the website yelp is a good example of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Well other fanbases have the same mediums of communication. What's wrong with using it as an indicator? Do you have a reason other than "haterz that don't go to games". How do you know that? Can you PROVE that they don't go?

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa

I'm open to other suggestions, how would you suggest going about finding out this information?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Anecdotally, I don't know a single Sens fan who doesn't hate Melnyk. I only live in Kanata and have had season seats for a decade, so I'm not really exposed to 'real fans'.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The number of so called "fans" who "loath him" are so few that it of no concern. These haters don't go to games, so why would he waster his time listening to him?

Is he the perfect owner? Probably not. Is he any more or less liked/disliked than any other owner in the league? Probably not........... haters will hate, that's what they thrive on.
This post is completely divorced from reality.

His ownership is a real problem for a large portion of the fanbase.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This post is completely divorced from reality.

His ownership is a real problem for a large portion of the fanbase.

And you know this how?

I seem to remember, there used to be a lot of "fans" who hated Rod Bryden........... and these "fans" probably were happier than pigs in sheit when he sold the team to Melnyk.

And now they don't want him as owner anymore, and will fall in love with the next owner, whenever that happens, and after a period of time, they'll want that owner gone ........ and the cycle will continue.

It's just to easy to believe the perception created by rumours.....

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Damn it
__terrible_news_folks____by_rock_zilla-d2yemwy.png

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't care either way about Melnyk, the human being. What he says doesn't bother me much...why does everyone get up in arms about it? I don't understand it . So he responds to certain things, says certain things. Fact of the matter is the franchise is stable with him owning it, whether you like him or not. He has sunk money into the CTC to improve it, whether you like him or not. He is trying to move the team downtown, whether you like him or not. He is spending money to acquire players like Duchene, whether you like him or not. And chances are, while you all prick your Melnyk Voodoo dolls , that Karlsson will be given a blank cheque. You want him to spend more? To the cap? I was there last night...no one there. Tough to spend to the cap when the finances are what they are.

People cringe and gnash their teeth over this guy. Cheques are cashed. Players get paid. We have an outdoor game coming up. I don't know. I think this fanbase, or a large amount of the fans here on HF suck royally as fans, but that's just me. I don't believe for a second that any of them will buy tickets if Melnyk goes. They will move on to the next excuse. Maybe traffic or parking, probably.

If he keeps it or sells it , won't matter to me. Whether Karlsson stays or goes, won't matter to me. As long as the Sens are here they will have my support.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
"Melnyk said he pays Dorion “big bucks” so that he can manage hockey operations."

... IIRC, isn't Dorion one of the lowest paid GMs in the league?

It doesnt matter if he is one of the lowest paid GM's in the league, I am sure his annual salary would be considered "big bucks" by most people's standards.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Man, this whole organization is a clown show. From Boucher's presser, Dorion's availability to Julie Turris' three letter tweet, to this email. What a gongshow.
Everybody needs to go. From Melnyk down.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The best line from Big Euge's email is:

“(The) only thing I can think of is our routine refinancing of our debt involves a financial ‘roadshow’. Virtually every major Canadian, international and American bank have attended one of over 20 presentations in Toronto, Ottawa and New York."

20 presentations on his debt??? LOL. I wonder where we can purchase tickets to "the travelling roadshow"??

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Without Melnyk the sens wouldnt even have a team.

He does say some dumb stuff at times but really who cares. Im not going to stop being a fan or going to games cause he doesnt want to spend to the cap...

Reactions: coladin and Smash88

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Ok, so first, what other teams have "routine" refinancing of debt roadshows?? Anybody?? Broke ass owner.

Also, I truly can't wait until his daughters own the team and then we can have f***ing Miley Cyrus running the show or Taylor Swift maybe, then we can sign only the cutest players too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so first, what other teams have "routine" refinancing of debt roadshows?? Anybody?? Broke ass owner.

Also, I truly can't wait until his daughters own the team and then we can have ****ing Miley Cyrus running the show or Taylor Swift maybe, then we can sign only the cutest players too.

I imagine only Canadian teams would worry about this as the NHL has a low interest line of credit available to all teams that is centrally run, but CRA regulations deemed it a taxable benefit taking away all the benefit of using it for Canada's teams. So, given that Forbes estimates Ottawa as having the highest debt value of any Canadian team by a decent margin, that may mean we're the only ones in need of doing so.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
conversely we could sign turris to 8 years and fans will say how we overpaid LOL

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
The best line from Big Euge's email is:

“(The) only thing I can think of is our routine refinancing of our debt involves a financial ‘roadshow’. Virtually every major Canadian, international and American bank have attended one of over 20 presentations in Toronto, Ottawa and New York."

20 presentations on his debt??? LOL. I wonder where we can purchase tickets to "the travelling roadshow"??

He was broke so he had to borrow money that he is currently not paying back. He treats everyone in his org like his slave and he's only interested in his own name on that cup, self preservation. He's a complete embarassment to ownership in the NHL. So many people leaving and saying the same things about him. Dorion is a puppet, and a cheap one too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad