News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It’s also not how debt works. Like at all.
Yep, no argument here. There really isn't much of an avenue to perform some sort of hostile takeover of a sports team, at least not to my knowledge. Even if you could "force a sale" the BOG could just not approve you as a owner. That's the group that could force a sale, not some outsider.

Now, does the BOG have enough to justify a pretty severe action like trying to force Melnyk to sell? I don't think so myself. When the NBA forced Sterling to sell, it was because he was a PR nightmare. While Melnyk is certainly cause for concern every time he approaches a mic, he isn't the type of headache that will affect fans of other teams to stop supporting your product, or boycott advertisers if he's not removed.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Take this for what it's worth but, my buddy last night was saying a guy on his team works for a large accounting firm in Ottawa and the Jeff Hunt lead group (also involving Cyril) is very much a real thing looking to go after the sens.

Too much smoke here to be nothing.
Interesting, but I think they'd need to backed by deeper pockets.

Maybe it's a large group with several investors, including Desmarais and Laliberte?

It would be great to have Leeder back in the fold, even though marketing has been awful the last few years with him. Melnyk has been reaping the benefits of his work lately with the Lebreton bid and the 100th anniversary outdoor game idea. He's also one of the reasons we have a team in the first place.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Gullible lol. I'm a Sens fan, not a Melnyk fan. You stay home. Spending money supporting my team makes me a way better fan than you. You labeled me Superfan, not me.

The person who is "gullible" is the person who hears an unsubstantiated rumour, and assumes it's 100% correct, and then takes action on it. Now it becomes their new reality, and they'll defend the unsubstantiated rumour, because they've invested themselves in it, and cites a hashtag trending on twitter as proof of the
unsubstantiated rumour.

Like Bettman said this week ........... this is much ado about nothing.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This idea of people buying up debt to do some sort of hostile take over makes no sense. Any ownership change would have to be approved by the BOG, and the NHL has not looked kindly at business men trying to force their way into the league in the past.

Jim Balsillie?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The person who is "gullible" is the person who hears an unsubstantiated rumour, and assumes it's 100% correct, and then takes action on it. Now it becomes their new reality, and they'll defend the unsubstantiated rumour, because they've invested themselves in it, and cites a hashtag trending on twitter as proof of the
unsubstantiated rumour.

Literally nobody assumed it was 100% correct.

Someone who thinks that Melnyk isn't disliked by Sens fans also shouldn't call anyone gullible.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Interesting, but I think they'd need to backed by deeper pockets.

Maybe it's a large group with several investors, including Desmarais and Laliberte?

It would be great to have Leeder back in the fold, even though marketing has been awful the last few years with him. Melnyk has been reaping the benefits of his work lately with the Lebreton bid and the 100th anniversary outdoor game idea. He's also one of the reasons we have a team in the first place.

For sure. Hunt and Leeder would serve to be the face of ownership. There are several other entities involved who are flush with cash.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So zero McDonalds locations have ever shut down, or re-located?
Well McDonald's is a centralized business with franchises that operate pretty much the same way.

I'm talking about the business' operations, marketing, and investment.

Invest in talent and scouts like a McDonald's would invest in R&D and strategists/advisors.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Literally nobody assumed it was 100% correct.

Someone who thinks that Melnyk isn't disliked by Sens fans also shouldn't call anyone gullible.

Who said there are no Sens fans who dislike Melnyk??

This forum is full of people who dislike Melnyk.

iu

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
unsubstantiated rumour.

To be fair, how long was it until Bettman admitted Los Vegas was getting a franchise? His job isn't to confirm rumours when he knows the answer.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Who said there are no Sens fans who dislike Melnyk??

This forum is full of people who dislike Melnyk.

iu
Haha nice straw man.

Nobody ever said there isn't a single one that doesn't dislike him, but you can't honestly believe he's more disliked than liked.

Even journalists affiliated with the actual team are criticizing him. In fact, I think it would a pretty difficult task to find a significant amount of people praising Melnyk for anything recently.

Since you don't like using people on the internet since they're not real people (for whatever reason), maybe you would have noticed the chants and comments about him by fans at the game on Saturday. Were you real enough of a fan to be there?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Overheard at the Outdoor Game when the Prime Minister and Commisonaire:

Trudeau: So when you getting my boys Guy and Alain this team?
Bettman: After this weekend Euge made it a whole easier.
Trudeau: They’re my dudes. I promised them a team.
Bettmn: I know. But your going to have to wear some more NHL swag again.
Trudeau: The socks?
Bettman: We have a new NHL jock we want to advertise.
Trudeau: Fine, but next time I see you I want an ownership win for my boys, they’ve waited long enough.
Bettman: I’m working on it. They’ll need to put up $750 million.
Trudeau: Guy’s going to have to hire more clowns!
Trudeau and Bettman together: Roars of evil laughter.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
For sure. Hunt and Leeder would serve to be the face of ownership. There are several other entities involved who are flush with cash.

Both great guys, no question. But do you not think, in the face of sagging attendance, historically bad attendance (11,061 at Arizona game), that perhaps Leeder had run its course? There may have legitimately been a need for a change which is why Anselmi is here, on top of his business/major project acumen.

I just don't get why Melnyk will sell an appreciating asset, even in the face of many who despise him. He has one of only 31 NHL franchises in the world with a $400M tv contract. He isn't going anywhere. Period. So, enjoy the games and Karlsson because, ultimately, the only fallout from all of this is slashing payroll. That is all that is going to happen. He has cut everywhere except there, but make no mistake...it is coming.

That is why Arizona is around. Hurricanes. They stay around because of the tremendous value and worth of the franchise. Even though they don't spend, owners are still appreciating their franchise and will be SLUMLORDS, again, i ask the question: do we want to be those franchises?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's not going to Quebec. Someone else owns the arena; on top of a relocation fee he would have to pay rent and lose out on concession and parking money. How is that a better situation? His other option is to build his own arena somewhere else on top of a relocation fee...more $$$$$$ he'll need to fork up.

The NHL and CFL are not comparable at all. Two completely different beasts financially.

Its tough one. Are we supposed to give him our money and pretend everything is ok when it isn't? If you like Big Macs and they remove the 2nd patty and increase the price, are you going to keep buying it because they're the only fast food franchise in town with a clown?

First, no one knows what will happen or where he will go if he does leave but most likely he will go where he gets the best deal. It's his team & he will do whatever he wants with it. There is no doubt that the NHL & Bettman will try & intervene but if the team is losing a ton of money because Ottawa won't support the team any longer they will let him move, if he won't sell it. Why wouldn't they, it's his franchise? What if, in spite, he decides to sell it to the owner(s) of the Quebec City arena with the intention that the team is moved there? Who knows?

This could all be about leverage to get governments to help pay for Lebreton but supporting the team until a new arena is built seems more important now. This town stopped supporting the Gliebermans & the team folded & it was lucky to get a team back with local owners. Not sure Ottawa would get another NHL team especially at the costs being thrown around these days for teams. Melnyk seems like a very stubborn man who feels unappreciated by this town for all he has done to save the team & keep it here rightly or wrongly. He may not give in to public pressure & move rather than sell. New Market is another Canadian city destination that wants an NHL team & it keeps them in the east. Lots of NFL teams have moved because of stubborn owners rather than sell the team, anything is possible & no government will save this team.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
How the mighty have fallen. Melnyk was once a savior in this city. He rode in with his white horse and snatched out team back from the brink of disaster. Her invested his money, built it up to be a monolithic force, unopposed in the East; a complete powerhouse bringing us year after year of quality playoff hockey. Fans would praise his name, he was like a living god. Now people turn their back on him. He is a pariah. People boo him in the streets and spit on his name. This is the thanks he gets for sacrificing his health and finances to bring us quality hockey for years. People are so fickle. No matter how great you have once been in your life, no matter how much people once loved you, it can all be thrown away and forgotten in an instant. Remember what happened to Melnyk can easily happen to you. Can you really trust your fiends and family and coworkers? Will they just as soon cast you out, like Sens fans have done with Melnyk? Its a sad period for humanity.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
NFL and CFL are different leagues with different standards and rulesets for moving franchises, along with different expenses/revenue structure. Can't compare them with the Sens.

No way the BOG allows Ottawa to move when Florida, Islanders and Carolina are in trouble in the east. Then you have Arizona and Colorado in the west that aren't doing so well.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
First, no one knows what will happen or where he will go if he does leave but most likely he will go where he gets the best deal. It's his team & he will do whatever he wants with it. There is no doubt that the NHL & Bettman will try & intervene but if the team is losing a ton of money because Ottawa won't support the team any longer they will let him move, if he won't sell it. Why wouldn't they, it's his franchise? What if, in spite, he decides to sell it to the owner(s) of the Quebec City arena with the intention that the team is moved there? Who knows?
You think Bettman would just sit there and allow Eugene to play his little game? He's not an idiot. The state of NHL is more important than the ego of some owner. Ottawa is an established market that has proven it can support a team. Melnyk and his finances are the problem, not the city of Ottawa.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He can to an extent, but it could cost him more than he can afford. I have no reason to believe that he'll be able to afford the relocation fee and the lease to use another arena.

He also doesn't seem to be willing to seek a partnership so we can throw that out of the window too.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
How the mighty have fallen. Melnyk was once a savior in this city. He rode in with his white horse and snatched out team back from the brink of disaster. Her invested his money, built it up to be a monolithic force, unopposed in the East; a complete powerhouse bringing us year after year of quality playoff hockey. Fans would praise his name, he was like a living god. Now people turn their back on him. He is a pariah. People boo him in the streets and spit on his name. This is the thanks he gets for sacrificing his health and finances to bring us quality hockey for years. People are so fickle. No matter how great you have once been in your life, no matter how much people once loved you, it can all be thrown away and forgotten in an instant. Remember what happened to Melnyk can easily happen to you. Can you really trust your fiends and family and coworkers? Will they just as soon cast you out, like Sens fans have done with Melnyk? Its a sad period for humanity.
We praised him and filled up his arena for several years when he would come up with excuse after excuse as to why he wouldn't spend money when the fans would.

"I'll spend when the time is right"...Ahhh the "rebuild". Hey maybe after a couple more franchise players are driven out, it'll be time! After the Alfie incident and his recent comments, how can any Sens fan feel any confidence and security with this lunatic running the show?

This guy has no personal connection to any of us. How is this in anyway comparable to friends and family? He's not exactly a Grade-A human being either.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You think Bettman would just sit there and allow Eugene to play his little game? He's not an idiot. The state of NHL is more important than the ego of some owner. Ottawa is an established market that has proven it can support a team. Melnyk and his finances are the problem, not the city of Ottawa.
Bettman doesn't own the team but he does have the pressure of the other owners to bare. However, why would any of them care if the team is not being supported? That is why most teams move in the first place is because the city stops supporting it & it doesn't become financially viable to operate in that market any more. It's always about money & we can hope to god he sells the team but at the end of the day, it's his team & he will do what he wants with it.

IMO it would make more sense if we want to keep a team here to support it regardless of Melnyk the douchebag. But the product on the ice may be more of a determination of that & they have to do better & create more interest in the team again. Everybody loves a winner & if they make it into the playoffs that would create interest again. However, if they continue to stink & lose support that could determine their fate too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He can to an extent, but it could cost him more than he can afford. I have no reason to believe that he'll be able to afford the relocation fee and the lease to use another arena.

He also doesn't seem to be willing to seek a partnership so we can throw that out of the window too.
Agreed, his own money problems could either help or not what he finally decides to do, that's a good point. However, not supporting the team & hoping he sells may back fire on Ottawa too. Hard to know what will happen but I maintain supporting the team is probably the safer route to assure he keeps the team here & try & ignore him. Too bad, it ruined a perfectly good weekend with the National media here, just an incredible dumb thing to say or too candid or the time he thought he needed to deliver a wakeup call or threat to the city. Seems like a very odd way to get support back.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Agreed, his own money problems could either help or not what he finally decides to do, that's a good point. However, not supporting the team & hoping he sells may back fire on Ottawa too. Hard to know what will happen but I maintain supporting the team is probably the safer route to assure he keeps the team here & try & ignore him. Too bad, it ruined a perfectly good weekend with the National media here, just an incredible dumb thing to say or too candid or the time he thought he needed to deliver a wakeup call or threat to the city. Seems like a very odd way to get support back.
Sure, but if Karlsson isn't re-signed, can you image the backlash? Current attendance figures would be a godsend for Melnyk if that happens.

Kind of hard to justify simply ignoring him at that point.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

:laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sure, but if Karlsson isn't re-signed, can you image the backlash? Current attendance figures would be a godsend for Melnyk if that happens.

Kind of hard to justify simply ignoring him at that point.
It's a quandary isn't it?

If Ottawa doesn't support the team, the team won't be able to afford to re-sign Karlsson & maybe other good players & have to trade them for younger cheaper players (the Expos of the NHL). If he trades Karlsson, Ottawa won't support him further either & as you said he seems to have some significant money shortages already.

What to do, what to do? I just don't see not supporting the team with the hopes that he sells the team to good owners who will keep the team here as potentially possible with this guy but I still hold out hope for it. Like a jaded lover he could be very unpredictable as to what he decides to do & it could get very ugly. Better to make peace with it, than lose the team IMO unless people don't care any more. I know some that have stopped supporting the team & won't go any more because of the owner. However, people can come around over time but once the team is gone, it could be gone forever.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad