Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
And could sell the NHL on backing a relocation.

Nah he couldn't. Hockey is not moving from Ottawa. The market is there especially with a downtown arena in the works one way or the other. The market is much stronger than the numbers indicate and Bettman has stated that a relocation is not an option. The opportunity they have here in Ottawa to expand is huge with the Lebreton project. Bettman wouldn't miss on that opportunity no way.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Nah he couldn't. Hockey is not moving from Ottawa. The market is there especially with a downtown arena in the works one way or the other. The market is much stronger than the numbers indicate and Bettman has stated that a relocation is not an option. The opportunity they have here in Ottawa to expand is huge with the Lebreton project. Bettman wouldn't miss on that opportunity no way.
Ya good points. Though, he says no relocation now, that can always change or simply be posturing.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Ya good points. Though, he says no relocation now, that can always change or simply be posturing.

The f**khead doesn't/can't even properly fund his team currently. Where's he getting the money to relocate? Relocation isn't "hello Mr. Bettman, I'm calling just to let you know that next year we are the Kansas City Sens. Talk soon."....

There are fees, logistics, market viability .... oh and the big one, BoG and league approval. Gary Bettman may not be likeable in general, but he's a smart dude. There aren't any markets out there, without a team, that are stronger than Ottawa for pro hockey. Don't mistake passion for market strength either, before someone says Quebec City.

Things suck right now, but every day people are seeing this for what it is - and what "it" is, is Eugene Melnyk. If Lebreton proceeds without an arena, I'll change my tune. I do believe no one wants that and I do think at some point it will happen. Our owner is a PoS and the fans feel empowered to force change, without fear. That's the boycott, in a nutshell.

I support people who boycott, but for me it's more just being sick of having inferior resources and brainpower; sick of being embarrassed. Principle. I've said as much in a letter to the Sens: still a fan, still want to support, will do so under a different regime.

Reactions: Sensung

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
At least there's a plethora of public transit options for fans to get to and from the Leafs arena. The Sens current arena has what, just a few shuttle buses right now?

There is lots of transit at games, if the fans want it, but they do not. OC Transpo sends as many buses as required, people just do not want to take the bus.

Ottawa is largely still a driver city, especially with the rich folk who go to games. They have no interest in public transit. Even worst, the majority of upper middle class live in the west and south end for which transit makes no sense, it would be a 3 bus trip back home.

LRT will help alleviate that a lot, but you are still about a dozen years out from having a functional LRT system that makes sense for people. Even if they were downtown, LRT will not help much until it reaches the suburbs, which is roughly 2030 timeframe.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
it's more just being sick of having inferior resources and brainpower; sick of being embarrassed. Principle. I've said as much in a letter to the Sens: still a fan, still want to support, will do so under a different regime.

Yup. Been there.
Now just imagine it keeping up for another 10+ years.

Took decades to undo the Ballard damage. We may only be undoing it now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think now we need a player or two to vocalize what we're all seeing. Like say both Stone and Duchene refuse to sign and then come out and say it's because of Melnyk. Ane and every angle possible is needed.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder with a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, excessive need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.
Wait... that just reminded me of someone on these boards.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Now that Melnyk has launched the lawsuit and the chances of his moving the Sens to Lebreton are virtually non-existent, will you do your part to increase the pressure on him to sell via boycott?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad