Melker Karlsson

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Terrible regular season, but he has managed to put together a very impressive playoffs through 8 games. Most Sharks fans would probably still prefer Jannik Hansen in his spot as the #4RW, but I might just leave that line together with how their chemistry is going.

Long term, I don’t know. His regular season was very very poor. He’s generally been a solid player for us but he probably makes a little bit too much money for us to justify us keeping him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Terrible regular season, but he has managed to put together a very impressive playoffs through 8 games. Most Sharks fans would probably still prefer Jannik Hansen in his spot as the #4RW, but I might just leave that line together with how their chemistry is going.

Long term, I don’t know. His regular season was very very poor. He’s generally been a solid player for us but he probably makes a little bit too much money for us to justify us keeping him.

Impressive? Unlike the regular season he didn't do too much wrong and he's part of a good PK. But other than that he's been rather useless. 4th line didn't create much against Vegas until now. They're mostly under pressure because they lack speed and skill. Karlsson has been much better than I expected...I'll give him that. But impressive would be too much. Hansen is the clearly better hockey player and also the better fit against a team like Vegas. The sooner Karlsson is gone, the better for the Sharks. DeBoer is never gonna sit the guy so it's all up to Wilson to react.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Impressive? Unlike the regular season he didn't do too much wrong and he's part of a good PK. But other than that he's been rather useless. 4th line didn't create much against Vegas until now. They're mostly under pressure because they lack speed and skill. The sooner he's gone the better for the Sharks.

The 4th line is the only part of the Sharks that are positive in possession metrics in the playoffs and Melker actually leads them in that. He’s passed the eye test as well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Good PKer. Other than that pretty useless. Ideally we can find a taker for him in exchange for a late round pick.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The 4th line is the only part of the Sharks that are positive in possession metrics in the playoffs and Melker actually leads them in that. He’s passed the eye test as well.

Possession numbers don’t tell you very much in the playoffs. Short sample sizes, non-variable opponents...and I don’t think he passes the eye test.

He appears to be a more tentative player than he was in the past. He’s not as strong on the boards or in a cycle, and I haven’t seen the flash of hands or net-drive like I did in the past. Part of it is the context...in previous years, he was one of the few Sharks with stick skills and that extra little bit of patience.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
If Doug Wilson plans on making a big splash this offseason outside of new contracts for Hertl, Kane, and Tierney, trading Karlsson should be at the top of his list after buying out Paul Martin.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
We could find someone to do what he does for cheaper, bottom line. Having said that, PDB has a man crush on him so I'm guessing he stays.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
We could find someone to do what he does for cheaper, bottom line. Having said that, PDB has a man crush on him so I'm guessing he stays.
Yep. Hansen and Ward are coming off the books and won't be coming back, so I believe they keep him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I doubt it. Even with DeBoer's man crush, the choice for DW is obvious on who to move to open up a spot to be competed for next training camp. Karlsson is the oldest, most expensive, and least effective among all the options. They've already signed a bunch of kids that may be his replacement. Even if none of them are, Goodrow and Sorensen as 4th line wingers and letting someone like Rod be in the press box is better for the team going forward.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. Hansen and Ward are coming off the books and won't be coming back, so I believe they keep him.

This is the forward lineup before any UFA's are signed next year...

Meier-Pavelski-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Boedker
Karlsson-Tierney-Labanc
Goodrow-???-Sorensen

For a team that is making it obvious that they will be a player this off-season, there's no way they're keeping all of those guys especially when you look and see guys like Gambrell, Letunov, Balcers, Helewka, Rod, Chekovich, Chmelevski, Radil, and Praplan are all going to be coming in next camp, they're going to want to open a spot for them to compete for while also making additions to the top of their lineup.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is the forward lineup before any UFA's are signed next year...

Meier-Pavelski-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Boedker
Karlsson-Tierney-Labanc
Goodrow-???-Sorensen

For a team that is making it obvious that they will be a player this off-season, there's no way they're keeping all of those guys especially when you look and see guys like Gambrell, Letunov, Balcers, Helewka, Rod, Chekovich, Chmelevski, Radil, and Praplan are all going to be coming in next camp, they're going to want to open a spot for them to compete for while also making additions to the top of their lineup.
Obviously I’d like to bring back Kane and Jumbo and bring in Tavares. If we can’t get Tavares then I’d like to see

Kane-Jumbo-Pav
Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Tierney-Labanc
Prospect-Goodrow-Sorenson
UFA/other prospect

Trade Boedker and Karlsson for picks and use Gambrell, Balcers, etc as the top call ups.

I’m worried about keeping Kane around though. If we don’t keep Kane I’d like to move Meier up with the Joes and put either Gambrell or Balcers in Meier’s current spot.

If we lose Jumbo but keep Kane, move Joe to the middle and move Donskoi and Labanc up a line and put Balcers in Labanc’s spot.

If we lose both then (going by your lineup) put Balcers or Gambrell in for Karlsson, move Goodrow to 4C and have Karlsson drop a line.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

This is exactly why Wilson has to trade the guy. DeBoer is always gonna stick with Karlsson no matter what so somebody has to solve that for him.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
He's a net 0 to slightly net positive player. After the first 20 or so games he settled into his role and played it well. Good on the PK. Definitely a little overpaid for what he brings but he was never as bad as the hate he was getting all year. If he was paid $750-1m I'd be pretty happy with him overall.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
he's ok on the 4th line but complements better players while doing nothing for plugs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad