Meet a New Canuck: Erik Gudbranson

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Seems like a fluff piece that isn't based on any factual evidence. Suggesting that Gudbranson has been a reliable top 4 defender is incorrect. He's performed like a bottom pairing defenseman, and was only not completely useless when he was paired with a legitimate top pairing defenseman (Campbell).

The article just shows a complete lack of understanding of who the player is, and seems to simply pander to the idea that Benning knew what he was doing and acquired this guy because he thinks this is the type of player he is. It isn't based on reality.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Been happy with him so far. Hasn't lived up to the horror stories from some Florida fans, who were happy to see him go. Only 3 games, but yeah -- seems like a very decent d-man to me.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Gudbranson has probably been our best defenseman so far (yes, only 3 games, but still). All the more important, he has been paired with Hutton, who so far has been a giveaway machine.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Gudbranson has probably been our best defenseman so far (yes, only 3 games, but still). All the more important, he has been paired with Hutton, who so far has been a giveaway machine.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Seems like a fluff piece that isn't based on any factual evidence. Suggesting that Gudbranson has been a reliable top 4 defender is incorrect. He's performed like a bottom pairing defenseman, and was only not completely useless when he was paired with a legitimate top pairing defenseman (Campbell).

The article just shows a complete lack of understanding of who the player is, and seems to simply pander to the idea that Benning knew what he was doing and acquired this guy because he thinks this is the type of player he is. It isn't based on reality.

Never give this up, this is a wonderful example of where it seems you are being proven wrong again.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Never give this up, this is a wonderful example of where it seems you are being proven wrong again.

He's had a hatefilled hard on for Guddy since day one.
IMHO you have to take the poor possession stats with the fact he is a defensive dman who is usually defending. So far I've heard his name mentioned in more positive plays than negative. I can't fault him on the Tarasenko goal since that's a star scoring winger on a 2 on 1. He got that shot off nice to set up Bo in front also.
From what I remember Guddy had a fairly even split on Panther fans who liked and disliked him. I remember reading lots of raves for his maturity and leadership along with being the steady rock on the Soupy/Guddy pairing. Then there were the stat watching "analytic" types who said he bled chances and shots against.
I feel he limits prime scoring chances by intimidation alone against smaller skill players who aren't Patty Kane like hands. His value comes from limiting prime scoring chances and easy zone entries. He's paired with a more puck mover specifically for the typical short comings of a defensive defender. But I've also noticed he doesn't get outside walked as easily as some of those "analytic" types claimed. At least less than I remember Jason Garrison getting walked to the outside

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

Did Gudbranson kick your dog or something?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Some people will never change their opinions

When the Sedins were among the league leaders in virtually every statistical measure, he didn't care about stats; they were "the sisters", they weren't tough enough and (apparently because they are Swedish) weren't leaders. Gudbranson is a big, tough, skilled Canadian kid (with a Swedish name??) who, to any neutral and knowledgeable observer looks like a really solid shut down defenseman, the only thing that apparently matters now is his fancy stats.

He cherry picks his approach to line up with his pre-conceived opinions.

Last edited:

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016

Pierre McGuire stated that Gudbranson was FLA's best player in the playoffs last year and called the trade a huge win for the Canucks.

He's an expert.......without quotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad