Medvescak Zagreb 2013/2014 season talk Part II

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Why do you guys think this thread is so popular here? Croatians being better at english than many other KHL-countries teams? The exotic factor drawing people here from other countries? The team playing their inaugural season?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Why do you guys think this thread is so popular here? Croatians being better at english than many other KHL-countries teams? The exotic factor drawing people here from other countries? The team playing their inaugural season?

1. It's a new team
2. exotic place
3. different ice size, so a lot of teams have to adjust tactics when facing them
4. they play a different style than most "old" KHL teams, makes people curious
5. People want them to finally play all games in the good arena. :D

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
They do draw a lot of interest as a team / hockey project. Of all three (or is it four already?) "far abroad" clubs in the KHL, Medvescak must be the most discussed one in the Russian section of the internet too.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Since everyone is writing their guesses here I'd say that's so because hockey is generally a new thing in Croatia and they just don't have many places to discuss it with a knowledgeable crowd.

Slovenians, Latvians, Czechs, etc. have no good reason to go here, they have their websites where they have been discussing hockey for years. In native tongue. To express yourself exactly how you want to is not that easy in foreign language, after all.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
On the croatian forum they write in a north-westcroatian dialect. Thats very disgusting for me to read.

+

Since everyone is writing their guesses here I'd say that's so because hockey is generally a new thing in Croatia and they just don't have many places to discuss it with a knowledgeable crowd.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
I don't understand why would northwestern dialect be a problem... Kaj si ti neki dotepenec? Kajkavski dialect is used not only in north (zagorje) but also very much in every area 50km around Zagreb and that region where people speak in such way makes... what...40% population in croatia? But croatian hockey fans can be summed up in sektor B, who are medvescak's most loyal fans, and minority who follow NHL,maybe this season started to follow KHL...i don't think that people who come to the games with young kids are present on any hockey forums...would say they have a bit more important things in their life...and also here you can find more info about everything else...croatia is known as a country where you go for coffee in a bar, drink very small amount of coffee for a period of two hours and talk with friends during that...or in the evening same thing with beer...so when people talk about Medvescak they have no need to do so online because there is little to talk about...forums like this one offer a better chance to talk about future, to anticipate what will happen because there will always be someone who can, based on his/her experience say something that could change your way of looking at things...

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
To express yourself exactly how you want to is not that easy in foreign language, after all.

Don't think that is the reason... until 1995 there was a war in croatia and the economic situation from that time on up until now isn't very nice so every parent wants his kids to know english or german to help them in life...for example give you a better chance to get a job, or eventually at some point of your life move to some other country for a better work or study or something...so it is normal for croatian to know second language and to be good at it... However our neighbours italians have no interest to learn any language and don't care about their lack of knowledge...when they come to our coast in the summer they look at things as: i am your guest and i am paying you so you should know italian....but they are like that in every country...it is their mental state and can't be changed

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Its true. the knowledge and understanding of a second language is common place, some know better some know worse but we all can undersand each other. This is also one of the reason why NA players like it here. Because they can go anywhere alone and get what they want or need without issues, unlike in many parts of Europe and Russia (or some parts of the US lol). Its not that uncommon to have people that know three languages. There is a latin saying that is famous here "You are worth as many people as the languages that you speak."

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
However our neighbours italians have no interest to learn any language and don't care about their lack of knowledge...when they come to our coast in the summer they look at things as: i am your guest and i am paying you so you should know italian....but they are like that in every country...it is their mental state and can't be changed

Sorry for the off-topic, but being Italian I feel obliged to answer: In Italy everybody learns (or at least should learn, since it is in the ministerial programs) at least English at school. Some also German and French (which is my case). The thing is that we're not very good at using foreign languages (don't ask me why..... But I admit that balcan people are waaaayyy better). It's not that we don't care, we're just not good at it.....;)

As far as the tourists are concerned, I think what you write about is a very common attitude and has nothing to do with us Italians. In Italy for example, tourists pretend to be served in German or English.... No way they speak Italian...

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
Well to be fair to the Italians almost everyone that works in tourism knows Italian and when waiter or salesman hears them he approaches them in Italian. Same with German if tourists are from German speaking countries or with English if they are form somewhere else. I don't mind that. Knowing foreign languages is good.

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
On the croatian forum they write in a north-westcroatian dialect. Thats very disgusting for me to read.

+

kaj_krepaj.jpg

:yo::madfire:

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
I don't understand why would northwestern dialect be a problem... Kaj si ti neki dotepenec?

Nemoj ti meni po slovenski. Što nisi naucio naški u školi? :D

Kajkavski was and always will be the dialect every true citizen of Zagreb uses, so deal with it.

you can talk what ever you want. I don´t like it, so I don´t read the croatian hockey-forum.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
oh leave the kid alone. who gives a f..., it is his choice be it preference, ignorance or (petty) local patriotism. Really doesn't matter. But Ivane94 if you do write with š and not s than also write č and not c, you kinda appear illiterate otherwise.

More important is French is staying!!! Viva la French lol

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
oh leave the kid alone. who gives a f..., it is his choice be it preference, ignorance or (petty) local patriotism. Really doesn't matter. But Ivane94 if you do write with š and not s than also write č and not c, you kinda appear illiterate otherwise.

More important is French is staying!!! Viva la French lol

to lazy. :laugh:

Yes, keeping French is great. :handclap:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Another great news. Cheechoo is staying next season. He gave an interview in Vecernji list and announced the contract is being renewed. Also budget might be somewhat bigger than last year as our president is dealing with new russian sponsors supposedly. but that is not official

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Also budget might be somewhat bigger than last year as our president is dealing with new russian sponsors supposedly. but that is not official

Could it be Rosneft...there were some rumors they are interested in INA, national oil company...but after ukranian crisis it is considered a very tricky political question...
Does anyone know how many teams have Rosneft logo on their jersey?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Very interesting, I was sure Cheechoo was going to leave. Anyways, what about Rendulic, is there hope he will play for Medvescak?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Probably not. He wants to come as a 1st or 2nd liner so he wants to get beter. And i agree it would be great to have him as a Croatian born to be in one of he leading roles. I think his plans are to try it in he NA. We'll see

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Very interesting, I was sure Cheechoo was going to leave. Anyways, what about Rendulic, is there hope he will play for Medvescak?

He has been rumoured to Sweden and other Finnish clubs, so I don't think we'll see him in Medvescak next season. In 2-3 years perhaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad