Medical mystery?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-medical_mystery.html

No bp detected by first responder and husband describes wife as "she's just not herself".

It's a dangerous condition and was the recent cause of death of a recent celebrity.

Sepsis.

not "no bp" but "no pulse"

the BP was low, too low to cause a palpable pule in the wrist. She would have had a carotid (neck) pulse because the body was making sure that flow to the brain given first prioroty.

Survival from sepsis is less likely the later it is recognized and when the sufferer already has significant underlying medical problems.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
My father died of it 18 months ago. Diabetes and he stubbed his toe, a month later he was dead.

I found him in a really bad way, then after he had been in hospital for a couple of hours he was very alert. The next few days he was talkative and alert, despite being in the ICU an on heavy antibiotics... then he just started sleeping 23 hours a day. It was such a strange progression.

As the article states, only going to be more deaths from it because of the overuse of antibiotics.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
actually evidence based medicine is being used to combat sepsis, specifically by diagnosing it sooner and treating it in a standardized fashion that has been demonstrated to be of benefit. In the last year my hospital has initiated a sepsis diagnostic protocol and order set bundle designed to minimize time between onset of sepsis and institution of treatment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad