Olympics: medal predictions (no NHLers)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I assume Russia is the favorites. Finland and Czech comes after that.

Not much difference beetween China, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Latvia, Slovakia, Canada, USA and Sweden. Could go either way.

China may suprise. A team full of KHLers.

Sweden has 150+ players in NHL and AHL. Its possible we are the worst team in the entire olympics lmao.

I assume no NA playerrs at all. Not even players from AHL, NCAA and Juniors. But you never know.

Reactions: EK47

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Not much difference beetween China, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Latvia, Slovakia, Canada, USA and Sweden. Could go either way.

Sweden has 150+ players in NHL and AHL. Its possible we are the worst team in the entire olympics lmao.

I assume no NA playerrs at all. Not even players from AHL, NCAA and Juniors. But you never know.
A team full of terrible KHLers. Currently Kunlun sits 24th in a 24 team league. How you have China ranked in the same tier as Canada, even without the NHL guys, is beyond me.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

This is good and all but can you with a straight face say that you care about this tournament now?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
A team full of terrible KHLers. Currently Kunlun sits 24th in a 24 team league. How you have China ranked in the same tier as Canada, even without the NHL guys, is beyond me.

You are underating them.

Yes, Canada is still better. But its still pretty even beetween all nations behind Russia and Finland.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This is good and all but can you with a straight face say that you care about this tournament now?
I can’t speak for anybody else, but I ABSOLUTELY still care about this tournament. Not nearly as much as I did before, of course, but it’s still hockey and there are still players representing my country... in HOCKEY!

The funny thing about thinking your nation is the best at hockey, which I do, is that it’s something we have to prove at all times and at all levels! So let’s goooooooo!

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No its a glorified EHT and the medals shouldn’t count.

yeah but its still the olympics and hockey. nice to see some of the smaller nations have a realistic chance on medals

i expect some intresting players to make it, like eklund and edvinsson.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I can’t speak for anybody else, but I ABSOLUTELY still care about this tournament. Not nearly as much as I did before, of course, but it’s still hockey and there are still players representing my country... in HOCKEY!

The funny thing about thinking your nation is the best at hockey, which I do, is that it’s something we have to prove at all times and at all levels! So let’s goooooooo!
This tournament is basically a glorified f***ing shit version of the EHT which most European hockey fans don’t give a shit about, so I don’t see the difference. I’ve never cared about the EHT, and I Wont now. I didnt watch a single game four years ago and I wont now. This is worthless to me.

Reactions: illone84

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
yeah but its still the olympics and hockey. nice to see some of the smaller nations have a realistic chance on medals

i expect some intresting players to make it, like eklund and edvinsson.
Why would you they snubbed their 19-year old SHL MVP in 2018.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Keep in mind that Garpenlöv invited Sellgren, Albert Johansson, Lundkvist and Holmberg to WC. Dahlin was on the 2018 team.
They like their players a certain way Eklund certainly doesn’t fit the bill.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Gold : Finland
Silver : Russia
Bronze : Germany or Switzerland

The coaching is the difference maker for Finland.
- Russia has a slight advantage on skill

Slovakia will surprise many

Latvia is always good at tournaments wheres no NHL:ers

Sweden success has always come with NHL:ers
- they are always no show without NHL:ers

I have no idea who Czech's gonna call to the Olympics,
so many old guys still playing hockey in europe

Canada and USA - who knows

Denmark gonna be the dark horse

China the hosts

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Gold : Finland
Silver : Russia
Bronze : Germany or Switzerland

The coaching is the difference maker for Finland.
- Russia has a slight advantage on skill

Slovakia will surprise many

Latvia is always good at tournaments wheres no NHL:ers

Sweden success has always come with NHL:ers
- they are always no show without NHL:ers

I have no idea who Czech's gonna call to the Olympics,
so many old guys still playing hockey in europe

Canada and USA - who knows

Denmark gonna be the dark horse

China the hosts

Always no show without NHLers? You are always talking shit about Sweden. We won several EHT tournaments, recently Karjala Cup in November. Sweden won over Finland in 2018 OG. But in general we do bad without NHLers. But saying always is taking it too far.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Exactly this!

From my view, some of my fav players will be donning a Czech Jersey and fighting for gold. I'll cheer that everyday!

Olympics, Skoda Cup, University youth games, Hlinka, U18, U20, world hockey challenge... all of it!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Always no show without NHLers? You are always talking shit about Sweden. We won several EHT tournaments, recently Karjala Cup in November. But in general we do bad without NHLers. But saying always is taking it too far.

That wasn't towards you or the fans or what ever, chill!

Sure, the always part was a bit off but that said

For quite some time now, i have not seen Sweden do much
in Europe, EHT, nor such, SHL is full of foreign players,
your best players play in the NHL, pretty okay players
in the NL and KHL but no difference makers at International level.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Russia wins back to back Olympic Golds. Really curious who they select as they have a good selection of players.

Finland I think is their biggest potential problem.

You NEVER count out Canada... ever.

Reactions: Statsy

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
That wasn't towards you or the fans or what ever, chill!

Sure, the always part was a bit off but that said

For quite some time now, i have not seen Sweden do much
in Europe, EHT, nor such, SHL is full of foreign players,
your best players play in the NHL, pretty okay players
in the NL and KHL but no difference makers at International level.

There is full of foreign players in DEL, NLA and KHL aswell. I actually think Liiga has as many foreign players as SHL. Around 80 % in SHL are still swedes.

There is around 90 swedes in NHL, probaly half of them are just depth players in NHL, but would be good players in SHL, NLA, KHL etc. And then we have 60 swedes in AHL. We have too many players in NHL and AHL, so the quality of players in Europe we have has gotten down. And it does not help our case that our coach is shit.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I think Russia wins back to back Olympic Golds. Really curious who they select as they have a good selection of players.

Finland I think is their biggest potential problem.

You NEVER count out Canada... ever.

On paper Czech looks strong even if EHT so far this season have been bad. Cant count out Czechia either.

From the smaller nations, i think Germany and Switzerland will be deadly.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
On paper Czech looks strong even if EHT so far this season have been bad. Cant count out Czechia either.

From the smaller nations, i think Germany and Switzerland will be deadly.
The one thing.. if Krejci goes... we might have one of the best forwards (and a C too) in the tourney. That could help. We have good goalies everywhere in Europe so not worried about that. Yeah, we have some legends and some decent younger players coming through.

Some combo of the young - Spacek, Smejkal, Blumel, Jiricek, Stransky and the older - Kovar, Krejci, Frolik, Gulas, Zohorna's could be good.

Our D is still poor in every league but we should be able to cobble together 6 decent players and, hopefully, Jiricek as 7

Klok, Musil, Jerabek, Sklenicka, Moravcik (not a fan) all come to mind but I think I' missing someone for sure.

Our coach may have already lost the room but we really could send a decent looking squad IMO.

Germany must be thrilled that Kahun returned to Europe right about now! Defending silver medalists and well coached.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad