Series Talk: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He may not impact who comes in, but he impacts who goes out. I'm sure there is a season grade given to players and data compiled as to their effectiveness. I'm sure Sully has a say in that as any boss would.

Sully didn't like Cole, so he didn't play, hence he became expendable. Right or wrong, that is what happened.

As for news...
Possible Penguins comeback must start with eliminating odd-man rushes

“We can’t become a high-risk team in the process [of] trying to score so much. I think that was part of the message today – making sure that we stay within ourselves and we take what the game gives us,” Sullivan said. “Last game, some of the best chances that the Islanders got were a result of some of the decisions we made, either with the puck or without the puck, trying to score.”

If they truly figure that out, we'll see a different team. Sure we may still lose 1-0, but at least we'll see a more cohesive effort.

You would think it wouldn't have taken 3 losses to state this.

For not liking Ian Cole, Mike Sullivan certainly played him a ton on the way to a back to back and ensured he got paid handsomely for the next three years..

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They could at least all get together and practice their post game excuses as to why they're all a bunch of embarrassing hacks.

You know... make them sound a little more convincing than usual. Come up with some new material, FFS.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
For not liking Ian Cole, Mike Sullivan certainly played him a ton on the way to a back to back and ensured he got paid handsomely for the next three years..

Who were his healthy options at that point?
I don't recall the exact specifics but I believe Cole was the only healthy Dman who you'd consider an NHL regular

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
There's no problem with the roster, it's a cup contending team.

I can't believe people are blaming JR when Crosby and Guentzal get dominated by the Isles 4th line, while Malkin can't get the puck past Nelson.

You beat teams like the Islanders by locking everything up. Isles don't have the game breakers to make plays every shift, while the Pens just need 1 or 2 breaks to score. Play like they did when Letang was out earlier this season, counter attack instead of trying to score every shift. Even an idiot like Johnson looks good if he doesn't have to think about anything except where he is on the ice

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
What do you have to lose at this point? I'd go with:

Guentzel - Crosby - McCann/Hornqvist
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist/McCann
Johnson - Blueger - Cullen

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Gudbranson - Riikola

Bring in hungry speedy young players - remove slow useless plugs

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Huh? Ian Cole was pumped up to Schultz line in the 2017 playoffs and played every game of the 2016.

I thought the timeline you were referencing was just before Cole was traded and you stated Cole dressed a number of games prior to the trade

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They could at least all get together and practice their post game excuses as to why they're all a bunch of embarrassing hacks.

You know... make them sound a little more convincing than usual. Come up with some new material, FFS.

It’s funny. I listened to the player interviews today...to a man, no one really answered the question as to whether they were still confident they could pull this out....Probably because they aren’t...looks like Tuesday will be a joke...it’s obvious there’s no real belief and trust in the room...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
“We can’t become a high-risk team in the process [of] trying to score so much. I think that was part of the message today – making sure that we stay within ourselves and we take what the game gives us,” Sullivan said. “Last game, some of the best chances that the Islanders got were a result of some of the decisions we made, either with the puck or without the puck, trying to score.”

If they truly figure that out, we'll see a different team. Sure we may still lose 1-0, but at least we'll see a more cohesive effort.

You would think it wouldn't have taken 3 losses to state this.

I mean, the bolded is exactly why I roll my eyes at that. Seriously? We've been seeing this kind of thing ALL SEASON. But only now, after going down 0-3 in a series, they decide that maybe they should try to cut down on that sort of thing?

That's like someone in the process of driving off a cliff because their breaks failed them saying, "You know, I really think we should get the breaks checked before going for a drive next time".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It’s funny. I listened to the player interviews today...to a man, no one really answered the question as to whether they were still confident they could pull this out....Probably because they aren’t...looks like Tuesday will be a joke...it’s obvious there’s no real belief and trust in the room...

Oh yeah. They sound utterly and completely defeated. Belief is the big thing... they have none.

And to be fair I can see why. Reasonable people can only delude themselves for so long. Unless they are Patric Hornqvist superfans.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

They're done. All you had to do was watch the first period yesterday to know the end of the story was written and what came between would be a mere formality.

MAYBE they'll show a little pride tomorrow, but I think they're golfing on Wednesday.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oh yeah. They sound utterly and completely defeated. Belief is the big thing... they have none.

And to be fair I can see why. Reasonable people can only delude themselves for so long. Unless they are Patric Hornqvist superfans.

If we, the casual fans, can see the issues holding this team back, then I'm sure the players who've won Cups and know what it takes to win them also can see what this team is lacking.

Players aren't dumb or delusional. I'm pretty sure it's a bit disheartening and difficult to fight through it when, in the back of your mind, you know what it takes to win a Cup since you've done it before and you don't see those same attributes on this current club.

Obviously I'd still like to see a bit more effort shown, but I can't say I really blame them for feeling like this is a losing battle.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Couldn't have said it better. It's why I'm not getting all bent out of shape at the majority of the core. You can't expect them to keep on living in a fantasy land when it's been clear as day for a while this is not a contending roster or even really a terrific playoff roster. They don't even belong here. Nor are they playing like it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What do you have to lose at this point? I'd go with:

Guentzel - Crosby - McCann/Hornqvist
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist/McCann
Johnson - Blueger - Cullen

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Gudbranson - Riikola

Bring in hungry speedy young players - remove slow useless plugs
Gunetzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
McCann - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Rust
Cullen - Blueger - whoever

Dumo - Letang
Petterson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

...is what I'd go with personally, but I'm not sure it really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad