GDT: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders - Game 1 | 4.10 @ 7:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
OUTLOOK
The Penguins are focused on another run at the Cup as they make the playoffs for a 13th-straight year. Sidney Crosby will attempt to lead his team, backstopped by Matt Murray, to a third championship in four seasons. However, lacklustre efforts and poor execution have been a problem for the Pens throughout the season. The time is now.

Standing in the Pens’ way is a team that caught everyone by surprise - the New York Islanders. The Isles, who have bought into the plan laid out by Barry Trotz, are looking to prove naysayers wrong. Suffice to say, they shouldn’t be taken lightly.

SEASON SERIES
12/10/18​
PIT @ NYI2-1 PIT (SO)
12/6/18NYI @ PIT6-2 PIT
11/1/18PIT @ NYI3-2 NYI (SO)
10/30/18NYI @ PIT6-3 NYI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
MATCHUP
Stats per NHL.com
Penguinsvs.Islanders
3.30 (6th)GF/GP2.72 (22nd)
2.90 (18th)GA/GP2.33 (31st)
33.3 (5th)S/GP28.8 (29th)
33.3 (6th)SA/GP30.9 (20th)
24.6 (5th)PP%14.5 (29th)
79.7 (19th)PK%79.9 (18th)
50.6 (12th)FOW%47.4 (29th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
STARTING LINEUPS
According to Daily Faceoff

:pens

59 Guentzel - 87 Crosby - 17 Rust
19 McCann - 71 Malkin - 72 Hornqvist
12 Simon - 27 Bjugstad - 81 Kessel
53 Blueger - 7 Cullen - 10 Wilson

3 Maatta - 58 Letang
73 Johnson - 4 Schultz
28 Pettersson - 44 Gudbranson

30 Murray

:isles
27 Lee - 13 Barzal - 7 Eberle
12 Bailey - 29 Nelson - 14 Kuhnhackl (?????)
18 Beauvillier - 51 Filppula - 47 Komarov
17 Martin - 53 Cizikas - 15 Clutterbuck

2 Leddy - 55 Boychuk
3 Pelech - 6 Pulock
25 Toews - 24 Mayfield

40 Lehner

TOP PRODUCERS
Based on the regular season series (4 games)

Penguins​
Islanders​
Kessel (2-4-6)​
Pulock (0-4-4)​
Crosby (3-2-5)​
Nelson (2-1-3)​
Guentzel (0-5-5)​
Bailey (1-2-3)​
Letang (2-1-3)​
Barzal (0-3-3)​
Malkin (2-1-3)​
Eberle (2-0-2)​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GAMEDAY MUSIC

LGP!

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am getting drunk in a Vietnamese-Slovak cocktail bar now, so i’m Just basically going to **** on this thread all night when I get bored.

And that's a change from your standard conduct HOW exactly? :razz:

So going to be like Pens_X, Ryder, Andy, and Bingo as soon as something goes wrong in the 1st period.

I'm pretty sure that while he may be a natural pessimist, @Andy99 could sue you for libel for lumping him in a group with those other three pieces of work. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just hope the games are fun to watch. I'd rather we win either way, but watching a long series of boring, clutch and grab, slow neutral zone/trap stuff does not sound fun to me. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I think its great to see Kessel on the third with Bjugs...however I would prefer to see McCann as the other winger on the line. I can understand Sully wanting McCann with Geno though. I guess it is game 1 and I'm sure we will see different lines by the end of the 1st period anyways. Let's hope to take a couple road games and hope Dumo is ready for game 3 and complete the sweep.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I just want to see them get through a game against a team that's going to use the Caps' playbook from last year without giving up an oddman break because of a bad pinch/turnover.

Outside a fluke bounce/tip, that's how this team is going to beat you. Just play smart and not make it harder on yourself than it has to be, and you should win this series.

The powerplay showing up would be a nice bonus as well, statistically that should be an advantage in their favor so it holding up it's end of the bargain would really help.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So going to be like Pens_X, Ryder, Andy, and Bingo as soon as something goes wrong in the 1st period.

Hey wait a minute. ...I make constructive positive and negative comments, no worse than most other sane fans, even though I'm not convinced the Pens are a contender this year....plus, I may not be here much as my sports anxiety disorder likely will rear up in this game if the Pens are down, and I'll have to turn the game off...lol...that's my PO Pens watching superstition: if the Pens are down in a game, I'm required to turn it off unless and until they are leading again...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hey wait a minute. ...I make constructive positive and negative comments, no worse than most other sane fans, even though I'm not convinced the Pens are a contender this year....plus, I may not be here much as my sports anxiety disorder likely will rear up in this game if the Pens are down, and I'll have to turn the game off...lol...that's my PO Pens watching superstition: if the Pens are down in a game, I'm required to turn it off unless and until they are leading again...

Just ribbing you.

I even like Bingo because every comeback I get to say Bingo now.

Reactions: Andy99

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Not sure I've read 1 positive post from you that didn't include a negative ending or "insert good thing BUT bad thing, bad thing, and bad thing".

Doesn't make your general analysis wrong. I just think it's a bit over the top.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Idk where to put this bc most relevant threads are closed, but Scott Cullen has an interesting Selke mention.
I respect the analytics that show Simon has been really really good at preventing shots against but when stats guys give Selke love to guys with 4th line ice time it really doesn't help their credibility.

Like I love Micah and Dom and Cullen and all them but Foligno and Simon have not played nearly enough to be in the conversation. Just say "hey, they've been really good" and call it a day.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Mackay thinks JMFJ will be out if Dumo plays.

I would be close to shocked if this is the case, but I'd be pretty happy, especially since the org is making a decision between Maatta and JJ, and that's the right way to approach the logjam. It makes me cautiously optimistic a similar decison is made in the off-season. No one should be messing with Pets/Gudbranson.

Guds seems to take care of a lot of the net clearing duties JJ handles, but with more of an edge and from the right side.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad