MDSF: (2) Washington Capitals vs. (3) NY Islanders (Series 2-1 NYI) Mod Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
extrapolating.png

To illustrate my point about sample sizes and conclusions.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Describe the Caps style to me. Shell, tough, run'n'gun, grind? What is it?

I watched every single game this year and I don't know. Guess what, they won (and lost) with each of these.

Not that I watch too many Caps games(only when they play Isles/rags/devils) but it seems the style moreso is let the top line score and the other 3 lines play not to be scored on and if so chip in the odd goal here and there.

Again just saying this from the limited amount of games I've seen from them.

Just a random question, why would they get rid of Neuvirth then let Halak go? What was the thinking with Caps management? If they held onto Neuvirth then Holtby would've have had to play 70+ games.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Not that I watch too many Caps games(only when they play Isles/rags/devils) but it seems the style moreso is let the top line score and the other 3 lines play not to be scored on and if so chip in the odd goal here and there.

Again just saying this from the limited amount of games I've seen from them.

Just a random question, why would they get rid of Neuvirth then let Halak go? What was the thinking with Caps management? If they held onto Neuvirth then Holtby would've have had to play 70+ games.

Actually, Ovechkin was on the ice for 36.3% of team's 5v5 goals for. It's 35th in the league (only games he played in, players with 20+ GP). That is not that high compared to other star players. Tavares was on the ice for 37.7% of the goals, Crosby was on for 38.4, and the top guys on that list are mostly good players on bad teams, though top-five includes Tarasenko and Hornqvist.

Our offense, at least five-on-five, doesn't live and die by Alex Ovechkin. We had 10 players in double digits in goals. I'm too lazy to count how it stacks up against other teams, but the Islanders had 9, so I wouldn't call our offense lopsided.

Neuvirth wanted to be a starter and there was no way he'd be that guy in DC. Was clearly discontent with backup role.

Holtby didn't have to play 70+ games this year (they might've given Grubauer some more action), but Mitch Korn (whom I fully trust) and Barry Trotz have decided that he can handle that pace. Holtby loves to play and Trotz said Holtby wasn't very happy when he was told he'd get a rest here or there. So it wasn't a forced situation. And I don't think it was a problem.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Islanders win game 1 and it's Washington can't find an answer for the Islanders forecheck so they won't win a game. Washington wins game 2 and it's the Islanders can't match Washington's physicality so Washington has this in 5. Islanders win game 3 and it's Washington can match Isles intensity so Isles have this series in the bag.

Who knows what game 4 will bring? I think Islander fans are starting to get a little ahead of themselves. I think we have a great shot to win the series, but I'm definitely not gloating or making declarative statements about winning or losing until the series is over.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Gotta take advantage of the building tonight and go up 3-1. Having three opportunities to end this series would be huge. Should be a battle though, for sure.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Islanders win game 1 and it's Washington can't find an answer for the Islanders forecheck so they won't win a game. Washington wins game 2 and it's the Islanders can't match Washington's physicality so Washington has this in 5. Islanders win game 3 and it's Washington can match Isles intensity so Isles have this series in the bag.

Who knows what game 4 will bring? I think Islander fans are starting to get a little ahead of themselves. I think we have a great shot to win the series, but I'm definitely not gloating or making declarative statements about winning or losing until the series is over.

Agreed. Even if we win tonight and go up 3-1 I'm still not ready to say it's over. Caps would still have home ice advantage for the final three games.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
It's 19 who's been the scary one on WASH, Backstrom has been superb both offensively and defensively. Backstrom makes everyone around him dangerous. I haven't seen him play this well in years. No offense to Ovy, with the puck on his stick (and time) in the offensive zone, Ovy's as scary as they get but Backstrom scares me more.

Agreed.

Tavares has yet to play his best hockey. He'll be heard from again, before the series is over.

But isn't that the thing about the best players? :nod: No one dominates every shift. But even then, guys like Tavares find a way to make "the play" at "the time" that changes/decides a game. As we saw less than 48 hours ago.

Again, series is far from over and much runway for teams and players to shine. But make no mistake. When you are rightly considered the best goal scorer of your era (and a better goal scorer than Mario Lemieux according to an HF poll :laugh: ), NOW IS YOUR TIME TO DELIVER. The spotlight is squarely on you. Not the Brouwers and Wards of the world. Not your defense (who clamped it down in Game Three.) You, #8.

Of great players, great things are expected. As it should be. No one EVER had to wait for Mario, Bossy and other great goal scorers come the spring.

He needs to be a differencemaker, starting tonight. No excuses.

Last edited:

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
It's time for Burakovsky to play top 6 minutesfrom here on out. Trotz is nuts if he thinks he can grind his way to a Cup. You need skill. I'd go

OV-Back-Bura or
OV-Kuz-Bura

for the top line.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010

I totally agree. If the Isles win tonight, IMO they are taking the series. If the Caps win tonight, I see this sucker going to game 7.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
They were one shot away from winning at the Coliseum. Doesn't get much closer than that.

For a guy who complains about others engaging in "recursion", you sure like to repeat the same arguments over, and over, and over and over again. Learn a new tune already.

The Caps were one or two heroic saves from being blown out in game 3 and they were also two broken sticks away from losing game 2. Harping about how they could have won in game 3 but didn't is silly and it got old about eight posts back.

In reality, the series is right were it should be. Caps were outplayed in two games, Isles outplayed in one. Surprise surprise! Its a 2-1 series.

To me, these are two evenly matched teams. Both led by a true star (although I agree with those who say that Backstrom has outplayed Ovenchicken to date). Caps are more physical and, at least with Hamonic out, have a slightly deeper defense. I think the Isles have more balance up front and more effective control of the neutral zone.

I do think the home ice advantage is very important right now, mainly because Hamonic is out. The Isles are really dependent on that ability to control the matches at the faceoffs. There is just no way guys like Hickey and Vish can compete physically with Ovenchicken. So, you always want to have a big physical stud out there again him. When the defense is healthy, you can be fairly certain one of Boychuk or Travis Hamonic is out against Ovenchicken. So, for that reason, I see tonight's game as especially critical for NYI.

On an aside, and as a guy who has watched the game for 40 years (yeah, I'm old), the playoffs is where the true generational talents emerge. And, (I know this may be blasphemy), I do think Ovenchicken is up there with the all time greats - easily on par with the superstars of the Trottier/Gretzky/Lafleur era.

Its a real privilege to be able to watch guys like him and JT play.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Broken sticks sucks but the Islanders are also in complete prevent in these situations. I dunno use retail sticks instead of pro stock in the playoffs since they're more durable??

Islanders had had issues with sticks breaking all year long, so this goes beyond bad luck. it's an issue that should have been addressed or stuff like game 2 happens

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
For a guy who complains about others engaging in "recursion", you sure like to repeat the same arguments over, and over, and over and over again. Learn a new tune already.

The Caps were one or two heroic saves from being blown out in game 3 and they were also two broken sticks away from losing game 2. Harping about how they could have won in game 3 but didn't is silly and it got old about eight posts back.

In reality, the series is right were it should be. Caps were outplayed in two games, Isles outplayed in one. Surprise surprise! Its a 2-1 series.

To me, these are two evenly matched teams. Both led by a true star (although I agree with those who say that Backstrom has outplayed Ovenchicken to date). Caps are more physical and, at least with Hamonic out, have a slightly deeper defense. I think the Isles have more balance up front and more effective control of the neutral zone.

My post might make more sense if you considered I was responding to a guy who said Caps had almost no chance of NVMC. For a team with such little chance, they came way too close.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
We'll see what happens when and if the Caps finally get the 1st goal of a game, they are yet to do that in the series. They are a terrible team when they do not score first and nearly unbeatable when they do.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada

I do think the home ice advantage is very important right now, mainly because Hamonic is out. The Isles are really dependent on that ability to control the matches at the faceoffs. There is just no way guys like Hickey and Vish can compete physically with Ovenchicken. So, you always want to have a big physical stud out there again him. When the defense is healthy, you can be fairly certain one of Boychuk or Travis Hamonic is out against Ovenchicken. So, for that reason, I see tonight's game as especially critical for NYI.

On an aside, and as a guy who has watched the game for 40 years (yeah, I'm old), the playoffs is where the true generational talents emerge. And, (I know this may be blasphemy), I do think Ovenchicken is up there with the all time greats - easily on par with the superstars of the Trottier/Gretzky/Lafleur era.

Its a real privilege to be able to watch guys like him and JT play.

from what I've read throughout this thread your not understanding the point. Outplaying a team doesn't entitle a team to a victory or win in a series. Stealing games happens all the time and unless the referee directly calls off a goal or something extreme, there isn't any reason to be throwing that phrase around.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
from what I've read throughout this thread your not understanding the point. Outplaying a team doesn't entitle a team to a victory or win in a series. Stealing games happens all the time and unless the referee directly calls off a goal or something extreme, there isn't any reason to be throwing that phrase around.

where did he ever say that it entitles the isles to win the series just because they play better? its not difficult to understand that more often than not, the better team will win.....otherwise buffalo, edmonton and arizona probably wouldnt have been in the draft lottery this year

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Huge game for both teams.
3-1 and 2-2 are two totally different series.

Let's pull this one out and get on em. I feel we will see the game 2 caps so the isles will need to be at the top of thier game.

Finally scoring on the PP should help.

Let's go Islanders!!

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

You're just not following the argument and quite obviously not even reading the posts.

Harping on the series being one bounce away from being 2-1 instead of 1-2 is silly (which the early poster did several times). We are were we are. As of right now, the score does seem to map on to the teams that were playing better but anything can happen over the long term.

Nobody argued that the team who plays better should be "entitled" to win. If you want to debunk that point, open up a Microsoft Word document on your desktop and debate with yourself. You're disputing a point nobody made.

But, whatever.....

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
where did he ever say that it entitles the isles to win the series just because they play better? its not difficult to understand that more often than not, the better team will win.....otherwise buffalo, edmonton and arizona probably wouldnt have been in the draft lottery this year

But my point is that there is a lot of just a lot of cut and try replies here. To say its where it should be because they outplayed them, what if was us who was up 2-1, would they still be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad