Recalled/Assigned: McElhinney to IR, Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Forsberg gets a chance to play, and plays like I think he will, CMAC may not get back into the lineup.
Management/Coaching staff really likes CMAC and it's not like CMAC played poorly in pre season and last nights game. Even if Forsberg plays well, I don't think they will give him the back up job and screw CMAC over. Now if does play well, I think this would be CMAC's last year with us.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Going to be honest.. I hate seeing players go down with an injury, especially one of our own but, the fact that one of either Dansk/Forsberg was going to get recalled had me a little excited. I truly believe at this point that Forsberg will become a better goalie than McElhinney, if he isn't already. Forsberg's proven in the past that he can be an extremely reliable netminder. Now he just needs to continue that success to the NHL level.. given the opportunity. Would love to see Forsberg to get multiple starts before McElhinney returns. If I had to guess, I'd say if McElhinney isn't healthy before the end of next week, we may see Bob start the San Jose game and Forsberg start the ANA game on a back to back.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
If Forsberg gets a chance to play, and plays like I think he will, CMAC may not get back into the lineup.

Forsberg and Dansk both need to develop. They wont get nearly enough playing time sitting on the bench in the NHL. McElhinney will be back when he's healthy.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Forsberg and Dansk both need to develop. They wont get nearly enough playing time sitting on the bench in the NHL. McElhinney will be back when he's healthy.
Yup, especially with a goalie like Bob who'll play a **** load of games. McBackup is a good fit for us because he's able to sit for long stretches of time and still be reliable in net when we call on him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There is absolutely no way in my mind Forsberg takes over CMacs positions until his contract is up or unless Bob goes down Forsberg plays outstanding. I highly doubt Forsberg even plays while he's up. Bob will play every game on the road trip as long as Mac is hurt.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
By the way, does anybody know what caused Foligno to truck McElhinney? I'm assuming he got tangled up / tripped.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
By the way, does anybody know what caused Foligno to truck McElhinney? I'm assuming he got tangled up / tripped.

No he dove to try to block a cross ice pass to the guy back door and couldn't stop himself from going full speed into him.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If it hasn't been obvious already, I'm not a big believer in CMac (at the NHL level)

CMac is no superstar but he does what's asked of him admirably. Can't believe how underrated he is on here sometimes. Forsberg needs to play in springfield and keep developing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd say if McElhinney isn't healthy before the end of next week, we may see Bob start the San Jose game and Forsberg start the ANA game on a back to back.

I don' think Forsberg will play unless Bob is hurt or is getting shelled. If the trip was Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver but the Big 3? That would be feeding him to the lions.

CMac is no superstar but he does what's asked of him admirably. Can't believe how underrated he is on here sometimes. Forsberg needs to play in springfield and keep developing.

His stats from last year:

10-11-1 2 shutouts 2.70 GAA .909 Save %

Wins 21 pts in 22 games - not bad-kind of what I had hoped his minimal performance would be.

A 2.70 GAA not great especially considering he had 2 shutouts (which are definitely a plus).

Career save pct of .902 vs last year's .909.

Overall I think he has been okay but I think we could have done better in the FA market. As mentioned above I don't think Forsberg sees any action unless McElhinney is out for a prolonged period of time.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Foligno was chasing back 100 MPH because 47 was out of position....just like on the first goal that game....

watch the replay here titled "Erik adds one"

http://senators.nhl.com/index.html

47 shows up on scene about 5 seconds after the goal......

Well, I'm certainly glad that's settled. Things get a little squirrely around here if we don't have someone to blame after a couple days.

Of course, if you watch it again, Prout pinches in and then Foligno follows, failing to cover the right point. Prout loses the puck battle and Foligno has an "Oh *****!" moment when realizing the puck is behind him and chases the play right into McElhinney. Not that I support blaming a single play or player in a complicated, multifaceted situation, but at least watch the whole damn play, eh?

:shakehead

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I find the choice of Forsberg interesting.

Does that mean:
1. The FO has more confidence in him so they called him up
2. The FO want's Dansk to get more time in games at the AHL
3. Other

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
His stats from last year:

10-11-1 2 shutouts 2.70 GAA .909 Save %

Wins 21 pts in 22 games - not bad-kind of what I had hoped his minimal performance would be.

A 2.70 GAA not great especially considering he had 2 shutouts (which are definitely a plus).

Career save pct of .902 vs last year's .909.

Overall I think he has been okay but I think we could have done better in the FA market. As mentioned above I don't think Forsberg sees any action unless McElhinney is out for a prolonged period of time.

The point is that CMac has shown that he gets along with Bob, is fine with potentially only playing about 10-12 games a year if Bob is healthy, can play more and hold the fort if Bob's hurt, and only costs $650,000 in salary.

I'm not saying he's a franchise goalie - I'm saying he knows his role and plays it well. He's proven to be a capable backup although many still label him as at best an AHL-caliber goalie - hence, my statement that he's often under-rated.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The point is that CMac has shown that he gets along with Bob, is fine with potentially only playing about 10-12 games a year if Bob is healthy, can play more and hold the fort if Bob's hurt, and only costs $650,000 in salary.

I'm not saying he's a franchise goalie - I'm saying he knows his role and plays it well. He's proven to be a capable backup although many still label him as at best an AHL-caliber goalie - hence, my statement that he's often under-rated.

And I was saying it is hard to under-rate a guy with a 2.70 gaa, .907 save % and a .500 record. overrate yes;underrate not so much.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA

Does that mean:
3. Other

Forsberg played Friday and Saturday nights and Springfield needed a goalie for Sunday afternoon too. For what it's worth 2 of his 3 goals given up Saturday night no professional goalie has any business giving up.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Does that mean:
3. Other

Having seen both live a few times, Forsberg is closer to NHL ready at this point. Dansk is just getting used to being a pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00