Player Discussion McDavid

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I think what still doesn't get enough attention is how much McDavid has improved his defensive game. From 18-20 he was one of the worst defensive player in the league by any metric. In the last two years, he has been a positive contributor defensively. The team gives up less scoring chances, shots and goals when he's on ice 5vs5, adjusted for competition and usage too.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Holy shit, like

Holy shit is right. Thats even more impressive when you consider that the other 4 players in that top 5 accomplished their #s when scoring averages were much higher in the 1980s than the era CMcD is now playing (I know, I know, you cant compare the games now and then, player fitness, equipment influence etc., but i still think it’s uber impressive).

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Holy shit is right. Thats even more impressive when you consider that the other 4 players in that top 5 accomplished their #s when scoring averages were much higher in the 1980s than the era CMcD is now playing (I know, I know, you cant compare the games now and then, player fitness, equipment influence etc., but i still think it’s uber impressive).

Also considering he accomplished that in two shortened seasons as well

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
NHLPA player poll for this season is done

McDavid features on it a few times

1st with 44% of the vote for player you'd want on your team to win 1 game
2nd to Patrick Kane for best stickhandler
4th best passer (Drai is 1st)
4th most complete player
2nd for the player you least enjoy playing against but want on your team (Marchand was 1st)

Only category he didn't feature on was who's shot would you want, which Ovechkin won.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

4th most complete player
2nd for the player you least enjoy playing against but want on your team (Marchand was 1st)

Only category he didn't feature on was who's shot would you want, which Ovechkin won.

4th most complete is interesting. Maybe the lack of PK?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

4th most complete player

I was surprise the Draisaitl was not listed on the shot question. Over the last 3 years he is second in goals behind only Matthews and he does this the best shooting percentage of all of the leaders. His shot has become absolutely deadly. It is absolutely a testament to his hard work to improve because he did not have that weapon when he entered the NHL.

McDavid's lead in the first category you list is pretty impressive. This clearly shows he is viewed as the best in the game.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

4th most complete player

Side note: I’m surprised and happy to see our arena on the list for best ice. Thought we had lost that reputation and in some games it definitely does not seem like great ice.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Side note: I’m surprised and happy to see our arena on the list for best ice. Thought we had lost that reputation and in some games it definitely does not seem like great ice.
It may just be that Edmonton's bad ice is better than teh bad ice in other buildings. It is quite noticeable how bad the ice is all over the NHL.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I was surprise the Draisaitl was not listed on the shot question. Over the last 3 years he is second in goals behind only Matthews and he does this the best shooting percentage of all of the leaders. His shot has become absolutely deadly. It is absolutely a testament to his hard work to improve because he did not have that weapon when he entered the NHL.

It's not really that surprising. Drai has a great shot and might be the most efficient shooter in the NHL, but he's nowhere near as flashy and overpowering a shooter as an Ovechkin/Mathews/Laine type.

I bet even Drai wishes he could put as much zip on the puck from long range as those three guys do.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McDavid wins his 4th Art Ross and no one cares

We definitely take this man for granted. One of the best things to happen to the Edmonton Oilers franchise.

Congratulations Connor!!
MacT said that if any of the other contenders for the Hart had 123 points and were in 1st place in the scoring race, they would win the Hart hands down. But McDavid is taken for granted so much now, and the expectations are so high, that he will likely need to blow away the competition from now on in order to win the award.

The Ted Lindsay award will most likely show the real truth, when the players and his peers vote. They know the real truth, not some fat slob hockey scribes gorging on more donuts.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
MacT said that if any of the other contenders for the Hart had 123 points and were in 1st place in the scoring race, they would win the Hart hands down. But McDavid is taken for granted so much now, and the expectations are so high, that he will likely need to blow away the competition from now on in order to win the award.

The Ted Lindsay award will most likely show the real truth, when the players and his peers vote. They know the real truth, not some fat slob hockey scribes gorging on more donuts.
Find these people and send Dallas Eakins after them.

no-vegan-diet-no-vegan-powers.gif

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
McDavid wins his 4th Art Ross and no one cares

We definitely take this man for granted. One of the best things to happen to the Edmonton Oilers franchise.

Congratulations Connor!!
Congratulations to a generational talent.

McDavid may take home his third Hart Trophy as well, he has an early lead in the voting of the season ending poll here:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: