Player Discussion McDavid

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think there a lot of positive indicators that both Draisaitl and McDavid "could" resign. I obviously hope they do.

Cap will be the biggest thing no matter what everyone says. Not only do they have to be able to pay McDrai but do so while keeping a competitive around them. The cap needs to go up a metric shit ton. In no small part to am embarrassing deal to Matthew's via Toronto.

As for the Gretzky thing. It was very much rumored that his wife and the NHL played a big part in his trade to LA. Not sure if true but it was not considered only pocklington at the time. More him being opportunistic in the circumstances.

Reactions: AM

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think there a lot of positive indicators that both Draisaitl and McDavid "could" resign. I obviously hope they do.

Cap will be the biggest thing no matter what everyone says. Not only do they have to be able to pay McDrai but do so while keeping a competitive around them. The cap needs to go up a metric shit ton. In no small part to am embarrassing deal to Matthew's via Toronto.

As for the Gretzky thing. It was very much rumored that his wife and the NHL played a big part in his trade to LA. Not sure if true but it was not considered only pocklington at the time. More him being opportunistic in the circumstances.

Gretzky is on record saying that it was his dad who convinced him to go to LA. The link below is an article, but I've seen/heard an interview with him as well where he talks about it a little more in depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gretzky is on record saying that it was his dad who convinced him to go to LA. The link below is an article, but I've seen/heard an interview with him as well where he talks about it a little more in depth.

Maybe it did go down like that, that said if Janet is the one who pushed for LA, I don't see Wayne ever letting her take the heat for that so saying his dad suggested it takes the blame off her.

It seems a little suspect his dad would be the one to suggest LA though, Detroit is just down the highway from Brantford, Ontario, which is the Gretzky home and I kinda doubt Walter really cared that much about growing the game in the Southern USA, lol.

Anyway Pocklington was the main one to blame any way you slice it.

Going to LA instead of Detroit probably cost Wayne 2-3 Cups. But who knows maybe they don't get Federov and all those guys in that scenario. That said if he went to Detroit, it's almost 100% we're getting Steve Yzerman coming back the other way. They don't have anyone else at the time to offer that would match Jimmy Carson. I mean like what's Detroit going to say? No, we're not going to do that for a package with Gretzky? They'd be overruled by their own owner even if the GM said that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe it did go down like that, that said if Janet is the one who pushed for LA, I don't see Wayne ever letting her take the heat for that so saying his dad suggested it takes the blame off her.

It seems a little suspect his dad would be the one to suggest LA though, Detroit is just down the highway from Brantford, Ontario, which is the Gretzky home and I kinda doubt Walter really cared that much about growing the game in the Southern USA, lol.

Anyway Pocklington was the main one to blame any way you slice it.

Going to LA instead of Detroit probably cost Wayne 2-3 Cups. But who knows maybe they don't get Federov and all those guys in that scenario. That said if he went to Detroit, it's almost 100% we're getting Steve Yzerman coming back the other way. They don't have anyone else at the time to offer that would match Jimmy Carson. I mean like what's Detroit going to say? No, we're not going to do that for a package with Gretzky? They'd be overruled by their own owner even if the GM said that.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I tend to just believe a person when they repeatedly say the same thing. He says that he wanted to go to Detroit because that is where his idol played, and Walter said to not go there for pretty much the same reason. He said something like "there is only one legend in Detroit, go to LA and write your own story", or something similar to that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I tend to just believe a person when they repeatedly say the same thing. He says that he wanted to go to Detroit because that is where his idol played, and Walter said to not go there for pretty much the same reason. He said something like "there is only one legend in Detroit, go to LA and write your own story", or something similar to that.

True, that said, I mean didn't Wayne kind of write his own story in winning 4 Cups and breaking every record in the book with an expansion team that was a complete clean slate coming into the NHL?

You can't write your own story and build your own legacy better than that.

I think Janet wanted to go to LA, she still had some what of a career as an actress going at the time.

It doesn't really matter either way though, it's not Janet that forced the trade. That was all on Pocklington, from an Oilers POV what does it really matter what team he went to afterwards I guess? We owed him that much to let him decide where he wanted to go based on his family's wishes. I guess it sorta sucked he went to a Western Conference foe, but then again, the Oilers beat the Gretzky Kings like 3/4 times, lol. Even in '92 with Messier + Coffey + Kurri all long gone, an Oilers team led by Vincent Damphosse beat the Gretzky Kings in the playoffs, lol.

The whole thing is Pocklington's fault, he needed the $$$ and sold the player, if that wasn't the case, then Gretz would've stayed for another 2-3 years at least and Janet would've just made due with that. He wasn't going to leave the group hanging coming off a Cup win, no way. It had to be forced against his will.

Here's that '92 Kings-Oilers series for people wanting to eat some time before the season starts. That team led by Joe Murphy, Bernie Nichols, and Vinny Damphosse took down a LA team with Gretzky, Kurri, and Coffey on it. Go figure.

This was a fun, short lived iteration of the Oilers that's sorta been lost to time.

LOL Kelly Hrudey getting owned by (checks notes) Brian Glynn? No wonder he still hates us.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Did Leon spend more time training with McDavid this offseason? I don't know specifics but I think Leon usually spends a lot of time back in Germany in the offseason.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Did Leon spend more time training with McDavid this offseason? I don't know specifics but I think Leon usually spends a lot of time back in Germany in the offseason.

He spent most of the summer training with McDavid rather than being in Germany.

But Leon's girlfriend I believe is also from Eastern Canada, so that probably has something to do with it also.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Seen a video of a McDavid interview yesterday man is he aging fast he looks like he is in his mid 30's

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
He spent most of the summer training with McDavid rather than being in Germany.

But Leon's girlfriend I believe is also from Eastern Canada, so that probably has something to do with it also.

Yeah I just saw the interview. I'm glad the reporters read HFOil and asked him about it.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
True, that said, I mean didn't Wayne kind of write his own story in winning 4 Cups and breaking every record in the book with an expansion team that was a complete clean slate coming into the NHL?

You can't write your own story and build your own legacy better than that.

I think Janet wanted to go to LA, she still had some what of a career as an actress going at the time.

It doesn't really matter either way though, it's not Janet that forced the trade. That was all on Pocklington, from an Oilers POV what does it really matter what team he went to afterwards I guess? We owed him that much to let him decide where he wanted to go based on his family's wishes. I guess it sorta sucked he went to a Western Conference foe, but then again, the Oilers beat the Gretzky Kings like 3/4 times, lol. Even in '92 with Messier + Coffey + Kurri all long gone, an Oilers team led by Vincent Damphosse beat the Gretzky Kings in the playoffs, lol.

The whole thing is Pocklington's fault, he needed the $$$ and sold the player, if that wasn't the case, then Gretz would've stayed for another 2-3 years at least and Janet would've just made due with that. He wasn't going to leave the group hanging coming off a Cup win, no way. It had to be forced against his will.

Here's that '92 Kings-Oilers series for people wanting to eat some time before the season starts. That team led by Joe Murphy, Bernie Nichols, and Vinny Damphosse took down a LA team with Gretzky, Kurri, and Coffey on it. Go figure.

This was a fun, short lived iteration of the Oilers that's sorta been lost to time.

LOL Kelly Hrudey getting owned by (checks notes) Brian Glynn? No wonder he still hates us.

Bill Ranford was just that much better than Hrudy.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
im-thinking-im-back-john-wick.gif

15 points in his last 5 games. Now tied for 9th in league scoring. 8 points back with 61 to go. McJesus has risen.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I came to the forum looking to see if anybody had made a "I think McDavid is back" post, and I am not disappointed. He clearly looks better and more explosive. I'm guessing that his back/hip issue is maybe mostly cleared up? It sure looks that way.

8 points back of league lead with 60 games to go, and I sure wouldn't get too comfortable at the top there Kucherov!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
A story with twists hoes down so much better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Wasn’t that only after it was made clear that he’d be traded?

Toronto wants Connor to feel some Toronto love so he’d sign there. This despite shitting all over Connor since he got in the League cause they are jealous.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad