McDavid is on a serious run to try and break Gretzky's single season playoff assist record

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Typical Oilers fans:

1. With 1 win in the second round they are already talking about what McDavid is going to do in the Finals

2. Assuming all hockey fans should be rooting for McDavid to break records because apparently if you don't support Connor McDavid you don't like hockey?

3. Going out of their way to trash a Captain who has won 3 Cups and made it to 4 finals.

4. Claiming McDavid should win the Conn Smythe even if his team doesn't make the finals.

This thread is something else, and I'm here for the ride.
Seems like the response from Most Oilers fans is the opposite of your statement.

Define typical….

Those “Oilers “ fans post are as bad as your post

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
They really shouldn't. Makes the sport look like soccer giving trophies to losers.
?

What trophies are those?

How many trophies are awarded in the Champions League compared to the NHL? I’m really not aware of any other trophy than the winner of the Champions League, same for the World Championships.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
?

What trophies are those?

How many trophies are awarded in the Champions League compared to the NHL? I’m really not aware of any other trophy than the winner of the Champions League, same for the World Championships.
There is only 1 personal trophy in the playoffs.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Seems like the response from Most Oilers fans is the opposite of your statement.

Define typical….

Those “Oilers “ fans post are as bad as your post
My mistake...I took Despote, TheNumber4 and Video Nasty as typical Oilers fans. But I guess I'm wrong, you are. Thanks for having a level head.

Reactions: sanscosm

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Stop disrespecting the back to back Conn Smyth trophy winner you Video Nasty loser

Him and Malkin carried some **** team with Ruslan Fedotenko / Miroslav Satan and Maxime Talbot in the top 6 to back to back finals while Drai and McDavid can't even carry this super team to anything yet

@ me coward

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Not just era or goalie equipment changes, but coaching. When Crosby struggled, coaches pushed him through it. When McDavid struggles like game 1 against the Canucks, next game the coach helps him by keeping Draisaitl on his line. Pens would have 0 cups since the lockout if they ran 1 line to help Crosby with his stats.
Nothing says a winner like sometime who never has to work through his struggles, and gets rewarded with Draisaitl anytime he goes pointless

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's definitely eyeing the assist record. He deserves the Smythe if he breaks it even if Oilers don't make the finals. At this rate he only needs 8 more games. If Oilers make the finals he's also breaking the points record.

One factor that you overlooked in the OP is that Crosby's career high in points in the playoffs is 31. Breaking the assist record would give McDavid more assists than Crosby ever had points in a playoff run! Would be very embarassing for Crosby and just show the insane separation between these two players.

One has 3 cups.

Who the f*** cares about the assist record. Give me prime Crosby in the playoffs over McDavid anyday

AppreciateHockey

Dec 12, 2023
With insane separation I hope you mean Crosby does whatever it takes for the team to win and McDavid is more about personal stats? Crosby has been called the best grinder of all time since the '16 & '17 cups. Also the most all around player. Players described this way usually don't get the maximum of points they could because they do the dirty work along the boards and defensive end as well.

Also Crosby's linemates were usually not as good as they could/should have been either. Malkin usually had better wingers and top wingers like Kessel and Hagelin were on the 3rd line. No loading up with a Crosby, Malkin, Kessel line either.

From a reddit post after 2016 Conn Smythe:

'One of the most unique Conn Smythe performances/wins I can recall. Not a massive amount of points, but Crosby was like a black hole on the ice, all matter collided his way, and he controlled play the entire time his line was on the ice.'

'Save one or two missteps, guy played perfectly. Kind of insane.'

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Stop disrespecting the back to back Conn Smyth trophy winner you Video Nasty loser

Him and Malkin carried some **** team with Ruslan Fedotenko / Miroslav Satan and Maxime Talbot in the top 6 to back to back finals while Drai and McDavid can't even carry this super team to anything yet
Actually, it was Fedotenko and Talbot that carried Crosby when he was eaten alive by Zetterberg. I still have nightmares about those two... and the scheduling.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This thread is hilarious.

Crosby is the greatest playoff performer of his generation. Anyone arguing otherwise is a flat out idiot.

Connor McDavid has performed amazingly well in the playoffs the last 3 years. And yes - if Oilers reach the finals, there's a very good chance he'll be gunning for some of peak Gretzky's records, which is incredible.

Why fans of one player always feel the need to constantly bash another and vise versa is beyond me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Last 3 playoff runs - McDavid 1.94 ppg Draisaitl 1.89 ppg. Over 36 games.

Gretzky on the Oilers (from 80 to 88) 2.,10 ppg
Lemieux's peak (from 89 to 96) 1.77 ppg

I know it's a smaller sample size for McDrai - but their performance the past 3 years is amazing. Higher scoring than peak Lemieux, and not far off from peak Gretzky.

People should appreciate it more instead of always criticizing and hoping they fail.

AppreciateHockey

Dec 12, 2023
Sidney Crosby quote from the 2014 playoffs:

"You're focused on winning this time of year," Crosby said. "I think you look at it the same way, and ultimately it's about winning in the playoffs. You try to do those things to help your team win. You know if you start to focus on scoring and cheating out there, you're going to get scored on against a lot too."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad