McDavid becomes the 4th player in NHL history to record 100 assists in a season (mod warning post #50)

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Great player. Probably a step above guys like Crosby in their prime. There will never be another Wayne, Mario or Orr.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Excellent season by McDavid.

But this season should silence any talk that McDavid is "the best player to ever play hockey".

That is a narrative that has been talked about for a few years now.

However, this will be the 3rd season that McDavid has lost a scoring title to Kucherov and Draisailt. Also, McDavid was outscored by MacKinnon this year.

As good as Kucherov, Draisaitl, and MacKinnon are, you would have never seen a prime Gretzky or prime Lemieux lose a scoring race to players such as these.
Saying he's the best ever is definitely out of line.

I get it though. Just watch him. He may not win these scoring titles or Hart trophies all the time but he's always in the running for them, while other players just have hot and cold seasons. He is simply the most talented player today. He is so strong on the puck, he skates like a dream, he's got elite puck skills in every situation and he's an intense physical force.

If the Hart trophy were simply a best player in the NHL award, and not having its bizarre definition that let's voters come up with any argument they feel like, McDavid would win it more

Reactions: nturn06

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

But this season should silence any talk that McDavid is "the best player to ever play hockey".

However, this will be the 3rd season that McDavid has lost a scoring title to Kucherov and Draisailt. Also, McDavid was outscored by MacKinnon this year.

As good as Kucherov, Draisaitl, and MacKinnon are, you would have never seen a prime Gretzky or prime Lemieux lose a scoring race to players such as these.

I think you’re commenting on a vocal minority. Few in the hockey world have ever placed him above Gretzky and most around these parts admit that Gretzky and Lemieux at minimum are more talented than McDavid.

For now at least, what McDavid has accomplished up to this point is probably the most dominant a player can be in today’s game.

Ten seasons from now, McDavid very well could have the greatest resume for hockey player outside of Gretzky. He’s building the best case we’ve seen in a very long time.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Literally nobody sane has said this.
This comment is up there with conspiracy theories floating around the internet.

There’s definitely some people that think it’s impossible to dominate like Gretzky anymore and what McDavid is doing is similar/better relative to what’s possible today. I don’t know how common that opinion is though and I don’t think this year changes anything for them, considering what he did since the slow start.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
There’s definitely some people that think it’s impossible to dominate like Gretzky anymore and what McDavid is doing is similar/better relative to what’s possible today. I don’t know how common that opinion is though and I don’t think this year changes anything for them, considering what he did since the slow start.
Well they are definitely the exception, not the norm

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I really think last season will be McDavids statistical peak.

I think he’s capable of doing 2 PPG or more but it’s one of those things where it’s so hard to do for 82 games with only so many seasons that last year is probably more likely to remain the best.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Classic McDavid never missing on big milestones :

- 100 pts in his sophomore season
- 100 points in 56 games (covid season)
- 150 points & 60 goals last year

And 100 assist this year.
Not in 2019-20, though, 97 points in 64 games.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Not in 2019-20, though, 97 points in 64 games.

What’s amazing is that he came that close despite playing while rehabbing a knee injury that was recommended to have surgery for, missing 7 games, and having COVID wipe out the remaining 11 games.

What’s amusing is that it would be better in the eyes of some to have missed that entire season or play 20 games and then just fully project out pretend totals.

Love how there is very minimal of the what if game when it comes to McDavid. Because if it is played, it will get real ugly for the detractors.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

I have never heard this “narrative” once from anyone, including any Oilers fans.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Am I the only one finding it hilarious that some of the posters saying that the Oilers should had rested McD at 8-1 now are explaining why the TML should not rest AM for the playoffs?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Saying he's the best ever is definitely out of line.

I get it though. Just watch him. He may not win these scoring titles or Hart trophies all the time but he's always in the running for them, while other players just have hot and cold seasons. He is simply the most talented player today. He is so strong on the puck, he skates like a dream, he's got elite puck skills in every situation and he's an intense physical force.

If the Hart trophy were simply a best player in the NHL award, and not having its bizarre definition that let's voters come up with any argument they feel like, McDavid would win it more

I think when people say that they mostly mean he is the most evolved hockey player, and in the absolute sense the best and most skilled player.

When he does it both in the same season then he’ll be in Gretzky Lemieux territory.

64 goals and 89 assists would be Gretzky and Lemieux territory in 1980s scoring levels. You're looking at around 80 goals and over 100 assists.

Reactions: WalterLundy

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That was great to see.

I can honestly say I'm very disappointed in the organization for not making a big deal out of it.

f*** it, take a delay of game penalty, the team is up 9-1, if you have to.

He's truly this generation's best offensive player by a comfortable margin.
I'm glad they didn't. Do it behind the scenes if you must, but no personal accomplishments should be front and center this season. I even thought Hyman's 50th slow down was a bit much.

Cup or bust, boys.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
I think when people say that they mostly mean he is the most evolved hockey player, and in the absolute sense the best and most skilled player.

64 goals and 89 assists would be Gretzky and Lemieux territory in 1980s scoring levels. You're looking at around 80 goals and over 100 assists.
So then he’s not in Gretzky Lemieux territory.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA

Live puck era averages (80-93):
EVG: 2.66, PPG: 0.95, SHG: 0.13

21 McDavid:
56 GP: 43 G, 99 A, 142 P (2.54)
(63 G, 145 A, 208 P in 82 game pace)

23 McDavid:
82 GP: 80 G, 117 A, 197 P (2.40)

They played 80 games for all of those years other than 1993 so the 80 game paces would be 78 G, 114 A, 192 P for 2023 McDavid and 61 G, 142 A, 203 P for 2021 McDavid. These 80 game finishes would put him 5th and 7th respectively for single season points only trailing the 4 Gretzky 200+ seasons and the other behind Lemieux 199 and Gretzky 196. I’m with you. If that’s not “Gretzky and Lemieux” territory I don’t know what is.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I'm glad they didn't. Do it behind the scenes if you must, but no personal accomplishments should be front and center this season. I even thought Hyman's 50th slow down was a bit much.

Cup or bust, boys.

Why?

The team can't win the cup in the 2nd last game of the regular season.

The Oilers were cemented in the playoffs and had no risk of moving up or down in the standings.

At that point, just celebrate a big accomplishment.

Put it behind them, and focus on Saturday.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Live puck era averages (80-93):
EVG: 2.66, PPG: 0.95, SHG: 0.13

21 McDavid:
56 GP: 43 G, 99 A, 142 P (2.54)
(63 G, 145 A, 208 P in 82 game pace)

23 McDavid:
82 GP: 80 G, 117 A, 197 P (2.40)

They played 80 games for all of those years other than 1993 so the 80 game paces would be 78 G, 114 A, 192 P for 2023 McDavid and 61 G, 142 A, 203 P for 2021 McDavid. These 80 game finishes would put him 5th and 7th respectively for single season points only trailing the 4 Gretzky 200+ seasons and the other behind Lemieux 199 and Gretzky 196. I’m with you. If that’s not “Gretzky and Lemieux” territory I don’t know what is.
Orr , Gretz, Mario , McDavid
That's a pretty good hockey Mount Rushmore.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
How could the best ever not even win a division title let alone a cup.

Wins are the ultimate indicator of a players ability, no? A team HE leads,
No, they absolutely aren't. They are the ultimate indicator of a TEAM'S ability and chemistry.

There's a rather long list of 4th line/ahlers with their names on the cup. Does the fact that they won mean they are superstar athletes?

Edit: Not that I'm saying McD is the best ever. Just that winning, when a single player makes up roughly 5% of the entire team and, as a forward, at most is on the ice for 33-40% of the game (and even then only represents roughly 17% of the team on the ice) is not determined by a single player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad