McCarron and Fucale among many Montreal Canadiens prospects recalled in 2015-16

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
zach_fucale_st_johns_032616.jpg
Photo: Zachary Fucale sat on the bench in a backup role for three games in Montreal this season, but failed to take the ice. (Courtesy of Graig Abel/Getty Images)

</p>The Montreal Canadiens made 16 recalls from the St. John’s IceCaps in the second half. Their scoring woes, which started at the beginning of December after the loss of Carey Price, have given the team one of their worst slumps since the 2001-02 season with a record of 32–30–6. While the loss of their most valuable player has had a significant impact on their play, their goal drought has had its upsides, giving a few young prospects a chance to get a taste of the NHL experience.… read more

The post McCarron and Fucale among many Montreal Canadiens prospects recalled in 2015-16 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think they should trade Fucale for a pick. Have enough youth in net and sign a vet goalie. In case Price is not the same or injured again. Let Condon and Lindberg mature in AHL

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I think they should trade Fucale for a pick. Have enough youth in net and sign a vet goalie. In case Price is not the same or injured again. Let Condon and Lindberg mature in AHL

this was the prevailing thoughts when Price was selected. unless Fucale is traded for something that helps the team now, why trade him for more futures?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I say trade Fucale for Subban straight up. Having two Subban's on the team would be a dream come true for Therrien :naughty::sarcasm:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I say trade Fucale for Subban straight up. Having two Subban's on the team would be a dream come true for Therrien :naughty::sarcasm:

Why don't we trade one of our defence prospects for his other brother in Vancouver? Let's have two Subbans playing D with the 3rd backstopping them. Will give MT plenty to talk about after games. :sarcasm:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Condon does not need anymore time in the AHL. Dude is 26 in a week from now and overall had a solid NHL season, especially given the situation in Montreal. No need to demote him, that would be a huge blow to his moral.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Condon does not need anymore time in the AHL. Dude is 26 in a week from now and overall had a solid NHL season, especially given the situation in Montreal. No need to demote him, that would be a huge blow to his moral.

I know right? He was a rookie backup thrust into a starters role and still didn't look THAT bad.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Two players who should not have been called up and left down to develop.

Can't fault the Fucale call up really, but Big Mac and DLR should've stayed down all year.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Hab organization is overloaded with goaltenders. It would make sense to trade part of the excess. However, Bergevin should not give them away for a marginal forward or Dman or a low-ranking draft pick. The return has to be of sufficient value. The Habs should not be charitable just because they have a surplus.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Good thing Fucale was sat on the bench, wouldn't want to ruin our perfect season giving a rookie playing time. You hear that Galchenyuk?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Two players who should not have been called up and left down to develop.

Can't fault the Fucale call up really, but Big Mac and DLR should've stayed down all year.

i was dead set against that call up at first but I think it will actually do them good in the long run. As long as they start next year in the AHL. McCarron could make it out of camp but I really hope we just take our time with him. Let them both center the top 2 lines for awhile.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
What does Nikita Scherbak bave to work on before he can join the Habs?

A little off topic, but did he choose the number 38 he's got in photos in which he wears a Canadiens jersey because of Vladimir Malakhov?

If so, he's reminding fans of a not altogether pleasant experience with a Russian player.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Maybe it's already been discussed and I missed it, but does anyone else think Charlie Lindgren getting a NHL start BEFORE Zach Fucale was a huge slap in the face?

And I'm not debating their indivual talents here, and I know full well that signing college free agents requires getting them in games to burn contract years. But are you telling me they couldn't find playing time for a guy with 3 years in the organization with the kind of season we had?

And by all reports, I'm told Zach had a pretty solid first pro season. It struck me as really, really odd by an organization always priding itself on doing the right thing. I mean they "rewarded" John Scott for less.

Just stinks, in my opinion. Maybe it's just me.

Jan 15, 2016
In a foxhole
Maybe it's already been discussed and I missed it, but does anyone else think Charlie Lindgren getting a NHL start BEFORE Zach Fucale was a huge slap in the face?

And I'm not debating their indivual talents here, and I know full well that signing college free agents requires getting them in games to burn contract years. But are you telling me they couldn't find playing time for a guy with 3 years in the organization with the kind of season we had?

And by all reports, I'm told Zach had a pretty solid first pro season. It struck me as really, really odd by an organization always priding itself on doing the right thing. I mean they "rewarded" John Scott for less.

I'm with you. It sure is a slap in the face for Fucale. Maybe they think he's really not ready. Some weird decisions all season. Why hasn't Hudon been recalled near the end? :shakehead

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I'm with you. It sure is a slap in the face for Fucale. Maybe they think he's really not ready. Some weird decisions all season. Why hasn't Hudon been recalled near the end? :shakehead

Yeah, that's a really good point. I forgot about Hudon.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The Hab organization is overloaded with goaltenders. It would make sense to trade part of the excess. However, Bergevin should not give them away for a marginal forward or Dman or a low-ranking draft pick. The return has to be of sufficient value. The Habs should not be charitable just because they have a surplus.

How is it a surplus?

Price/Condon/Fucale/Lindgren/McNiven/Hawkey

Price and Condon in the NHL
Fucale and Lindgren in the AHL
McNiven still has time in the OHL and Hawkey could be a starter for his team in NCAA this year

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

We would've had to use one of our call-ups on Fucale after the deadline (not sure the exact number), wouldn't have made sense to waste one on just giving Fucale a game. If Scrivens/Condon were hurt we could've used an emergency call-up, like we had to do with 482 defenceman at the end of the year.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I hope both McCarron and DLR start next season in the AHL. They clearly needed more time down there.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
What does Nikita Scherbak bave to work on before he can join the Habs?

A little off topic, but did he choose the number 38 he's got in photos in which he wears a Canadiens jersey because of Vladimir Malakhov?

If so, he's reminding fans of a not altogether pleasant experience with a Russian player.

I doubt it. Scherbak was 4 when Malakhov left the Habs. I assume he was given the number and doesn't care about it.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

I think it was more of a sign of goofd faith to help convince to sign the deal. Gave Lindberg an NHL salary for a week. Just a small incentive to sign

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

It might be if you just want a knee jerk reaction. But hockey is a business, and this was clearly a business, not hockey decision. I am sure Fucale is professional enough to know that, if not, I am sure someone explained it to him. What happened to Fucale happens all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad