McCabe abandons the net on the PK .. Is Kampf covering the net appropriately here ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Keefe makes them play too aggressively on the pk. He tries to overload the puck handler when it's along the boards. This opens up lanes and leaves too many free bodies around.
Boston has torched us on the pp for keefes entire tenure it seems and he has not once adjusted.
Just use a passive box keefer and keep the lanes closed.
Just my amature 2 cents

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Everything the Leafs do under Keefe is designed to maximize offense. That's why you see them playing such aggressive penalty kills and seeing things like this. The result is a high octane game at both ends of the rink

Which has resulted in them scoring more than two goals once in the past 8 or 9 playoff games

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

horner

May 22, 2007
Why does McCabe (RD) leave the front of the net (his job, his man) and get nothing done ?

THE RIGHT D COVERS THE FRONT OF THE NET when puck is in the Left corner.

If McCabe tries to get the puck, the second he doesnt he needs to BE IN FRONT OF THE NET - ASAP.

View attachment 859361

Here's the shot on net.

View attachment 859364

Kampf miles away from DeBrusk.
Easy rebound, goal.

I don't think ive seen a Leaf player score like this in a LONG TIME. Nobody guarding them in front of the net on the man advantage.

Marner standing there, on the boards, doing nothing.

View attachment 859365
They don't trust each other and didn't they change up the pk , being more aggressive.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
It’s a systems issue and has been all season. I noticed it early and the players have gotten a bit better at knowing where they should be and who their man is but the system is clearly too complex and coverages get lost on the regular.

Reactions: Jmo89 and arso40

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It’s a systems issue and has been all season. I noticed it early and the players have gotten a bit better at knowing where they should be and who their man is but the system is clearly too complex and coverages get lost on the regular.
The coach needs to take full responsibility for having the PK systems poorly implemented for the post season.

PK is a reflection of coaching.

Reactions: TMLife17

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If it makes feel anyone better, we have Kampf for another 3 years

Kampf who has been Keefe's boy from day 1. You know he's your boy when he starts on OT instead of a 70 goal scorer

There are players who gets re-signed because of coach's likeabiliy. Kampf is one of those guys

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Why does McCabe (RD) leave the front of the net (his job, his man) and get nothing done ?

THE RIGHT D COVERS THE FRONT OF THE NET when puck is in the Left corner.

If McCabe tries to get the puck, the second he doesnt he needs to BE IN FRONT OF THE NET - ASAP.

View attachment 859361

Here's the shot on net.

View attachment 859364

Kampf miles away from DeBrusk.
Easy rebound, goal.

I don't think ive seen a Leaf player score like this in a LONG TIME. Nobody guarding them in front of the net on the man advantage.

Marner standing there, on the boards, doing nothing.

View attachment 859365
I think it's probably coaching...we have no idea of what to do with the puck when we get it in our zone except play Rugby-Hockey and pass it back constantly. So if that is any indication...positioning and defensive responsibilities is not high on the coaches list.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
If it makes feel anyone better, we have Kampf for another 3 years

Kampf who has been Keefe's boy from day 1. You know he's your boy when he starts on OT instead of a 70 goal scorer

There are players who gets re-signed because of coach's likeabiliy. Kampf is one of those guys
To be fair he has been pretty decent in the playoffs so far. But ya that contract was quite questionable right from the get go

Reactions: fahad203

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Very similar to Tavares' goal in game 2 - he was left all alone and Matty found him with the pass.

Yeah, s**t happens, and some people need to feel like they are toilet paper and play with it.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Keefe makes them play too aggressively on the pk. He tries to overload the puck handler when it's along the boards. This opens up lanes and leaves too many free bodies around.
Boston has torched us on the pp for keefes entire tenure it seems and he has not once adjusted.
Just my amature 2 cents
I just saw this link by Jack Han the former video guy for the leafs Tactical Matchup: BOS vs. TOR ...it really does seem like our players don't know how to adjust and are not coached very well more than the players being dummies.

Reactions: saltming

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Just my amature 2 cents
I hate the way this PK plays, but I wouldn't describe it as overload or aggressive. Outside of the 1 play last game are you seeing it often?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
This is at least discussing something.

if you just want to rant:
Marner sucks

Nylander is faking it

View attachment 859371

Marner.
Just standing still.

and Marchand just beats him TERRIBLY.

It's easy to beat him when Marner gives Marchand position and space. He also put himself out of positojbjust before that trying to do a flyby on Marchand.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I hate the way this PK plays, but I wouldn't describe it as overload or aggressive. Outside of the 1 play last game are you seeing it often?
I'm seeing him overload the boards when the puck is there. At the point he has them go out hard where they could be more passive and just block the lanes.
Would it work? No clue but he needs to change something or try something new. Anything. It's not working as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad