Confirmed with Link: Mazur signs ELC - will finish season in GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mazur has been exactly on par with Matthew Knies for the last 3 years. They were USHL teammates and had virtually identical numbers despite Knies being the 1LW and Mazur being the 2LW in the 20-21 season. We saw how good Knies was in the playoffs for the Leafs. If we think he's NHL ready, then so is Mazur.
That's rare, the only other kid I remember starting off an NHL career in the playoffs is Makar. (Knies looks like he got 3 regular season games in, Makar's first game was in the playoffs)

You don't make a rule out of the exceptions. Mazur will get at least half a season in GR, neither one of us makes that decision but I'd be willing to bet on it. Avatar or username, take your pick.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Well Kasper sucked his one game with the Wings when they were out of playoff contention and couldn't win a face-off so I don't think you've got a quality argument honestly based off that suggestion you gave about Copp being his winger for one game. Now it's not the end all be all but hardly moves the needle as an endorsement either way.(good or bad) Anyways, I tossed him down there his first year because I think he can handle a chippy physical role, getting his ears wet in the NHL. Maybe he'd be better off just playing in the AHL if this is that case though, idk, certainly up for debate imo, what Kaspers role on the team is next year.

Veleno does suck, He'll be gone by January.(waived)

Roster was supposed to account for zero moves because it's what we have at this very moment in time. It's supposed to highlight needs more, where to move players, and how Wings can use at least 11.5 million in an effective way, because they have to spend at least that much in a crappy FA market to hit the floor. You're supposed to look at that roster of players, construct it how you like it, then figure out how to spend money in areas you like.

If you don't like Rasmussen at center thats like fine, move him wherever you like or any line combo how you want. You should still get a good/better grasp of team needs and where to spend it.

Wings literally got 11.5 million to spend at very least, you actually think it's really wise to let Kasper, a rookie play 2nd line minutes when Red Wings have that much money to spend on someone available.

Good idea someone brought up to hit the floor was Toronto trading us Murray for assets, eating up 6 million for just this season and then use the big money the following season to go after much better players that'll be available as UFA's.
HE PLAYED IN HIS FIRST NHL GAME WITH A BROKEN KNEE CAP!!!! You can't judge any player's potential off one game.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
That's rare, the only other kid I remember starting off an NHL career in the playoffs is Makar. (Knies looks like he got 3 regular season games in, Makar's first game was in the playoffs)

You don't make a rule out of the exceptions. Mazur will get at least half a season in GR, neither one of us makes that decision but I'd be willing to bet on it. Avatar or username, take your pick.

I thought Darren Helm had done that in '08 (18 playoff games), but HockeyDB says he played 7 games during the regular season.

The next season Abdelkader played the final 2 regular season games then 10 playoff games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I thought Darren Helm had done that in '08 (18 playoff games), but HockeyDB says he played 7 games during the regular season.

The next season Abdelkader played the final 2 regular season games then 10 playoff games.
I meant straight out of college (a couple of years), not AHL. Sorry I didn't specify. The discussion was about Knies.

Helm, Abdelkader, etc.... they're already familiar with the coach because of preseason. These college kids have no ice time with the team until they quit college.

I have high hopes for Mazur (at least a middle 6 winger), but I don't see him making the leap next season. Knies is a big kid, Mazur isn't.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Kid should get more love than he does on here.
He's our 3rd best prospect, but a lot of people haven't caught on yet.

To rule out Mazur as a possibility to break camp with the Wings is pretty silly, given what we've seen from him and given Detroit's roster.

Only way you should be ruling it out is if he gets hurt or Stevie acquires some really good forwards this off-season, but that hasn't happened yet.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean, many of us were arguing for Mazur as Detroit’s 3rd/4th best prospect.
I mean, pretty small # of posts in this thread for what he has accomplished.

And I think he should have been the #3 or #4 prospect but he was voted 5th...

but ok Ogee....

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
He's gonna make the team out of camp isnt he? Stevie should be dealing some mediocre guys on draft day with this many guys knocking at the door.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's our 3rd best prospect, but a lot of people haven't caught on yet.

To rule out Mazur as a possibility to break camp with the Wings is pretty silly, given what we've seen from him and given Detroit's roster.

Only way you should be ruling it out is if he gets hurt or Stevie acquires some really good forwards this off-season, but that hasn't happened yet.
GR has done a pretty good job of bulking kids up, look at Burger and Joey. Meanwhile I don't think Raymond gained a single pound, still listed at 170.

Mazur is listed at 173 on the UD website. Unless he gained 15+ pounds over the season, he needs to be in GR and get to NHL size. I don't see any reason to rush him like they did with Ray or Elmer, this team is going NOWHERE next season, let the kid develop properly.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I never trust for any weight measuremens. Those are usually changing a lot during career and not updated on many cases since junior years.

Only place I did trust was Tappara Tampere, when some friend worked there and gave straigth info yearly after summer training camp.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
GR has done a pretty good job of bulking kids up, look at Burger and Joey. Meanwhile I don't think Raymond gained a single pound, still listed at 170.

Mazur is listed at 173 on the UD website. Unless he gained 15+ pounds over the season, he needs to be in GR and get to NHL size. I don't see any reason to rush him like they did with Ray or Elmer, this team is going NOWHERE next season, let the kid develop properly.

Mazur is showing that his size is just fine. He’s also gotta be bigger than 173 now. He looks bigger than Raymond.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I never trust for any weight measuremens. Those are usually changing a lot during career and not updated on many cases since junior years.

Only place I did trust was Tappara Tampere, when some friend worked there and gave straigth info yearly after summer training camp.
College sports update every season.

Mazur is showing that his size is just fine. He’s also gotta be bigger than 173 now. He looks bigger than Raymond.

Raymond needs another 10 lbs.

Mazur is gonna play in GR, I'm sure Fester learned a lesson with Elmer.

Or maybe Stevie decides to tank by playing Kasper, Mazur, and Elmer. He'd have to take a cap dump to hit the floor though.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Man, Mazur and the US deserved better. They had a heck of a run. Pretty annoying to listen to the TSN guys gleefully gloat after Germany won in OT. Hopefully Mo can get a gold to extend a little bit of that heartbreak to them as well.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
probably like 8 or so

maybe like 3 Wallinders for an Edvinsson
If 8 Mazurs = 1 Wallinder
And 3 Wallinders = 1 Edvinsson

So it would take 24 Mazurs to equal 1 Edvinsson?

R.f9a9962d71c6969f739a7a0d40d360d9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad