Confirmed with Link: Mazanec traded to Canucks for 2020 7th round pick

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cool, Mazanec was at best mediocre, at worst was bad. Any asset is a good return. Seventh rounders of course are basically the longest of long shots to make it, but recently we've taken Hughes, Virta, Ronning, and Huska in the seventh, and I like Huska, think Virta has a small chance, and Hughes is interesting. You can also theoretically move two sevenths to jump up into the sixth and find a guy like Barron, Fontaine, Wall, Fast, etc.

Anyway, it's a lottery ticket for a guy who was gone in a few months, so, good deal.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
In 2020?

That's some foresight there lol
I mean I thought it was a 2019 pick when I made the post. But when I think about it nobody is probably going to pick these guys at all so they may very well still be available when the pick is due.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Unless this is a pre-cursor to us bringing in someone like Talbot or Reimer in deals with Edmonton or Florida, respectively. Georgiev goes down and plays most of the rest of the games in the AHL and whoever we get becomes the backup, or vice versa if we aren't worried about waivers.

And if that scenario were to happen, it means we added additional assets to take on more salary, so it’s still a win in my books. Freeing up the contract slot helps too.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Lundqvist, Zetterberg, Pekka Rinne, Pavelski, Byfuglien, Vrbata, Jaro Halak, Brian Elliot, Matt Moulson, Ondrej Palat, Mark Streit, Martin Erat, Tobias Enstrom, Dennis Wideman, Johnny Oduya, Patric Hornquist, P.A. Parenteau, Kyle Brodziak, Anton Khudobin, Adam Burish, Daniel Winnik, Jason Demers, Troy Brouwer, Anders Lindback, Cristobel Huet, Justin Braun, Antti Miettinen, and Paul Gaustad were all drafted in the 7th round the last couple of decades.

Notice how many of them are goalies: Lundqist, Pekka Rinne, Halak, Elliot, Palat, Khudobin, Anders Lindback and Cristobel Huet are all goalies, 8 of them. Goalies are a crapshoot and instead of wasting first and second round picks on them, better to have a bunch of late pick which can be used on some risky, no-name goalie prospects who may come out of nowhere. Because goalies are a crapshoot, they have worse odds of making it than others drafted in the first 2 rounds, but better odds than others drafted in the last 3 rounds.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
tenor.gif

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Adding to that Beacon list. Many of those names are from the 2003 draft. Pavelski, Moulson, Halak, Elliot, Big Buff, Enstrom.

You think we'll ever see something like that again?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Lundqvist, Zetterberg, Pekka Rinne, Pavelski, Byfuglien, Vrbata, Jaro Halak, Brian Elliot, Matt Moulson, Ondrej Palat, Mark Streit, Martin Erat, Tobias Enstrom, Dennis Wideman, Johnny Oduya, Patric Hornquist, P.A. Parenteau, Kyle Brodziak, Anton Khudobin, Adam Burish, Daniel Winnik, Jason Demers, Troy Brouwer, Anders Lindback, Cristobel Huet, Justin Braun, Antti Miettinen, and Paul Gaustad were all drafted in the 7th round the last couple of decades.

Notice how many of them are goalies: Lundqist, Pekka Rinne, Halak, Elliot, Palat, Khudobin, Anders Lindback and Cristobel Huet are all goalies, 8 of them. Goalies are a crapshoot and instead of wasting first and second round picks on them, better to have a bunch of late pick which can be used on some risky, no-name goalie prospects who may come out of nowhere. Because goalies are a crapshoot, they have worse odds of making it than others drafted in the first 2 rounds, but better odds than others drafted in the last 3 rounds.

*Seven goalies. I think you're mixing up Ondrej Palat and Ondrej Pavelec

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017

So why are we drafting goalies in the 2nd round?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad