Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G - Trey Augustine

Votes: 27 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, that's a close one. But I don't see any teams where Trey would be solid #1.

The kid that carried USA to world juniors gold and is one of very few D+1 players at the WC isn’t good enough to be number one in ANY prospect pool? Is it because he’s underweight? Or because his hit total is low?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Like which team?

Trey had a solid season with 0.915 SV% as a college freshman in the Big 10, but every team has at least one realgud prospect:

I’d easily have him in consideration for Boston, Ottawa, Vegas, Toronto, Tampa, Isles and Edmonton. Probably Calgary too (can you imagine what this board would be like had we drafted a below-PPG Honzek instead of Danielson?).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d easily have him in consideration for Boston, Ottawa, Vegas, Toronto, Tampa, Isles and Edmonton. Probably Calgary too (can you imagine what this board would be like had we drafted a below-PPG Honzek instead of Danielson?).
They should have tried trading him to a powerhouse, I guess.

Pretty weird flex considering Danielson was exactly a ppg prior to getting trade.

Like I don’t have to imagine, we saw it.

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Add Florida and Pittsburgh. Possibly Winnipeg. Maybe St. Louis.

Augustine would be the second best prospect in half of the pools as well. This kid could be really realgud.

Pretty weird flex considering Danielson was exactly a ppg prior to getting trade.

Honzek is busting because his name is so close to Hronek. It was foretold.

• Love
Reactions: DoMakc

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
For me this was shiny new what have you done lately (Trey) vs the wider body of work at the pro level for Johansson.

I see Johansson in Detroit, pushing Petry and Maata into a rotated 6-7 slot, BUT, I guess because it is a beautiful Sunday I went with the optimism of Trey's recent play. A great year at MSU, in the post season and coming in cold for Lyon and stopping that breakaway (talk about a small window but that or the Blanton's left a good through in my head).

The interesting discussion about netminders, for me, is the discussion around minimum height. With Trey at 6'1" he falls under the average.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Don’t see the relevancy, remove Calgary if you want and Augustine still is #1/2 prospect for many teams.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Calgary is a weird inclusion anyways because they have Dustin Wolf so Augustine wouldn't even be viewed as their best Goalie prospect

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So Edstrom ranks below Trey but Kasper ranks above him? Go ask the Vegas board if they'd do a 1 for 1 swap with Edstrom and Kasper or Trey. For that matter, any of the teams you listed.

Just so you know though I have Trey over Kasper and Mazur.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So Edstrom ranks below Trey but Kasper ranks above him? Go ask the Vegas board if they'd do a 1 for 1 swap with Edstrom and Kasper or Trey. For that matter, any of the teams you listed.

The Vegas board would do so in a heartbeat.

Largely because Edstrom is not a Vegas asset anymore...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The Vegas board would do so in a heartbeat.

Largely because Edstrom is not a Vegas asset anymore...

Oooopps, lol. Didn't realize he was part of the Hertl trade.

Let's go with either Hemmerling (91pts in 65 game in WHL) or Cataford (90 pts in 65 game in the Q) then.

I'm super scared about Mazur's weight, I think it's going to be a major problem, hold him back, not allow him to play his game at the NHL level, and he's going to wind up being a poor man's Austin Czarnik.

Just kidding.

Mazur.

Good for you bud, I haven't seen this board get so excited by a couple of half point per game AHLers since Callahan.

• Haha
Reactions: DatsDeking

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm cooling on Wallinder because of his lack of intensity. Whenever I watched Grand Rapids I came away far more impressed by Johansson than Willy Wally. My big fear is that he'd become Kindl 2.0 and I think there's a good chance that can happen now.
Johansson should without a doubt be ahead of Wallinder at this point. Did everyone miss the talk of everyone think Johansson was the best D on a team that had Edvinsson?

Johansson will under the radar take some heads off guys when games get rough too. Has way more edge to his game, and it makes him seem less "dull"

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Johansson should without a doubt be ahead of Wallinder at this point. Did everyone miss the talk of everyone think Johansson was the best D on a team that had Edvinsson?

Johansson will under the radar take some heads off guys when games get rough too. Has way more edge to his game, and it makes him seem less "dull"
Wallinder is a year younger, but after watching both live and in person a few weeks ago, Johansson is comfortably more than a year’s worth of development ahead of him. They aren’t even in the same tier for me. Johansson is far better now, and even if Wallinder shrinks that gap over the next couple years, I don’t see him ever closing it.

I’ve never really been too impressed by Wallinder’s game. His hype has always been mostly based on where his size/skating combo could take him. He’s yet to impress with his on-ice play though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I mean Kasper is a better prospect than Edstrom so... yes?
Either way, asking about 1-for-1 trades is a huge difference because then we're talking organizational needs, timelines, situational context. Same thing with splitting hairs over whether or not Augustine would be #1 or #2. The point is our pipeline is in a great position when a guy already playing at the Men's Worlds as a d+1 isn't even the top ranked goalie in our pool.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ok, but you're comparing the prospect pool of a team that's been hoarding picks while not making the playoffs against mostly playoff teams, including some perennial contenders. I would sincerely HOPE that Detroit has more good kids in the pipeline.

Am I happy with how the prospect pool is coming along? Absolutely. But I certainly wouldn't say that the Wings are spoiled - they have a good scouting and development team that's doing a great job with the high about of ammo they've been given.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ok, but you're comparing the prospect pool of a team that's been hoarding picks while not making the playoffs against mostly playoff teams, including some perennial contenders. I would sincerely HOPE that Detroit has more good kids in the pipeline.
Also comparing what will probably be our #7 ranked prospect (excluding Edvinsson who should still be a prospect) against the #1 prospect of those teams..

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean Kasper is a better prospect than Edstrom so... yes?
Either way, asking about 1-for-1 trades is a huge difference because then we're talking organizational needs, timelines, situational context. Same thing with splitting hairs over whether or not Augustine would be #1 or #2. The point is our pipeline is in a great position when a guy already playing at the Men's Worlds as a d+1 isn't even the top ranked goalie in our pool.

The members here overvalue Kasper so much it's hilarious. I have Trey over him, and yeah, I like the goalies. I'll even admit Cossa over Wallstedt was a good idea, though I still have Svechkov over both, and he's doing better than Kasper in the AHL even though he's a year younger.

But I don't think Trey would be #1 on a bunch of NHL teams, if you deep dive into the prospects you can find one or two, I picked Vegas as an example. They have 2 kids in juniors putting up better stats than Danielson who ranked #1 here.

Would he rank #3 or higher on most teams... yeah sure. In fact, if Cossa wasn't a choice, he probably would have been #3 here. People just didn't want to go back to back on the goalies, but I had him #4.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
...though I still have Svechkov over both, and he's doing better than Kasper in the AHL even though he's a year younger.
Just to clarify, Kasper is a year younger than Svechkov. It will be interesting though as they will go head to head in the AHL playoffs starting Wednesday.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just to clarify, Kasper is a year younger than Svechkov. It will be interesting though as they will go head to head in the AHL playoffs starting Wednesday.

I should not post before my morning coffee. Yeah, Kasper is younger. But regardless I had Svechkov over the goalies.

It'll be fun to watch for sure,

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
The kid that carried USA to world juniors gold and is one of very few D+1 players at the WC isn’t good enough to be number one in ANY prospect pool? Is it because he’s underweight? Or because his hit total is low?
No, it's because he's an offensive black hole. That shooting percentage is atrocious! I mean, you gotta show something at that level. I bet you he hasn't had a single O-zone start. Obviously the coaches don't trust him!!!!1!!one!!1

;)

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad