Proposal: Maximize LTIR situation

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Habs may wish to maximize their cap utilization before putting Byron on LTIR.

If that is the case, I believe this is the way to do so, also taking into account we cannot waive anyone.

a. Armia and Byron go on IR to allow for more than 23 players to count against the cap.
b. Edmundson is NOT put on IR so his name can count for one of the 6 defenceman we need to have.
c. Mesar is brought back up on paper
d. Barron is kept over Guhle due to his higher cap hit - again this could be just for one day
e. Xhekaj and Leskinen are sent down due to cap hit being less than Mesar's and Barron's.
f. Slaf is kept over RHP and Ylonen due to cap hit higher

This would leave us at just $136,667 under the cap, then we do this:
i. move Byron from IR to LTIR
ii. put Edmundson on IR
iii. bring up Leskinen, Guhle and Xhekaj and demote Barron and Mesar

We still have 23 (14+7+2) on active roster, plus Armia and Edmundson on IR

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Habs may wish to maximize their cap utilization before putting Byron on LTIR.

If that is the case, I believe this is the way to do so, also taking into account we cannot waive anyone.

a. Armia and Byron go on IR to allow for more than 23 players to count against the cap.
b. Edmundson is NOT put on IR so his name can count for one of the 6 defenceman we need to have.
c. Mesar is brought back up on paper
d. Barron is kept over Guhle due to his higher cap hit - again this could be just for one day
e. Xhekaj and Leskinen are sent down due to cap hit being less than Mesar's and Barron's.
f. Slaf is kept over RHP and Ylonen due to cap hit higher

This would leave us at just $136,667 under the cap, then we do this:
i. move Byron from IR to LTIR
ii. put Edmundson on IR
iii. bring up Leskinen, Guhle and Xhekaj and demote Barron and Mesar

We still have 23 (14+7+2) on active roster, plus Armia and Edmundson on IR

I think we can also accrue more cap space by playing with 6D at home and by demoting waiver-exempt players on non-game days or if they are in the stands that night.

Probably something they're going to do, but you can't accrue cap space in LTIR; however Byron going on LTIR opens up $3.4m in space for us to use for injury recalls, or trades if necessary. Teams like Toronto with zero cap space can only recall under emergency conditions.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Probably something they're going to do, but you can't accrue cap space in LTIR; however Byron going on LTIR opens up $3.4m in space for us to use for injury recalls, or trades if necessary. Teams like Toronto with zero cap space can only recall under emergency conditions.
OK, so what is the advantage of getting as close as possible to the cap before LTIRing Byron? Is it because if we are under $82.5M, say $81.5M we can only go back up to $81.5 even after ignoring Byron?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
OK, so what is the advantage of getting as close as possible to the cap before LTIRing Byron? Is it because if we are under $82.5M, say $81.5M we can only go back up to $81.5 even after ignoring Byron?

Basically, we're stuck at whatever cap hit we have that exceeds the Max Cap with Price already on LTIR .

Price allows us to go $10.5m over the cap, but if we don't use it, we lose it.

So, cap hit is $82.5m & $10.5m for Price. That's exactly $93m. But, if our roster is $90m & that's what's submitted to NHL, we lose that extra $3m of space.

Our cap hit for the year is $90m.

So, you're right, we want to maximize that space by having the most expensive 23 man roster we can setting our cap at $93m.

Then we do open up space by sending more expensive players down, or just reducing the roster to 22.

Also, by waiting til tomorrow to put Byron on LTIR, we fully open cap space of his amount. He gives us another $3.4m in space.

Essentially, Price's LTIR space is already used up going into the season.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Every other teams on the NHL today: "How are we going to fit all this under the cap with 20 players on 23?"
Mainwhile at the Habs office: "How are we going to reach 93m in cap space with only 23 players?"

• Love
Reactions: HitHard and Peteux

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Every other teams on the NHL today: "How are we going to fit all this under the cap with 20 players on 23?"
Mainwhile at the Habs office: "How are we going to reach 93m in cap space with only 23 players?"

It's what got us Monahan & a 1st.

By my calculations, we have $1,9m of Price's cap space left.

Theoretically, we could trade Hoffman and take back a player who makes $6,42m.

Say something like Hoffman & Schueneman to Philadelphia for JVR. That saves Philadelphia $1,75m in cap space more if they send Schue down since he's cleared waivers.

It's a little over for us, but we can do it by dropping to a 22 man roster & then recalling someone once Byron is put on LTIR.

Philadelphia isn't actually a good example as they are in LTIR too. It would have to be a team like NYI or LAK who need cap space.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With all the who should go where, I had kind of forgotten about the fact that we need to also do the right thing cap wise and the day 1 lineup and the day 2 lineup don’t need to the same at all. That is a great point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad