11. Maxim Strbak, D

4/13/2005 | 6-foot-1 | 198 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 45 in 2023
Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: High-end

Analysis: Strbak is a defense-first defenseman. He’s a tall, right shot who is mobile and makes a lot of stops due to his reach, feet, physicality and excellent compete level. He brings a strong effort every night, and coaches tend to lean on him in tough situations. I don’t see him as a legit scorer and puck-mover in the NHL, but he’s good enough with the puck, can skate pucks up, and can make enough plays to survive at higher levels. I think he will be a second- or third-pair defenseman in the NHL depending on the level of offense he brings.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Listed at 205 lbs now. I thought he was pretty good at the recent U20 tournament, with Slovakia’s B team. I find it unlikely he gets PP1 time at the WJC as I’m guessing Nemec will be there. But he should get PP2 and top line PK time. If Nemec is with NJ and doesn’t go I’d expect him to play 30+ minutes a game in all situations.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Listed at 205 lbs now. I thought he was pretty good at the recent U20 tournament, with Slovakia’s B team. I find it unlikely he gets PP1 time at the WJC as I’m guessing Nemec will be there. But he should get PP2 and top line PK time. If Nemec is with NJ and doesn’t go I’d expect him to play 30+ minutes a game in all situations.

205? Big boy.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20231001_173313_Instagram.jpg

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
So far bit disappointing play in College hockey, probably not used to pace of play after only being in NA for 1 year and now has to go up against older players as well. Hopefully the college route doesn’t end up biting him in the back. It’s uncharted territory for a Slovak prospect to come over and play in college. Best Slovak d-men of this generation either went to juniors in chl after being drafted or from Europe to AHL.

I believe Nemec will be there based on Nj log jam of dmen. And Luka Radivojevic‘a emergence will likely cost Strbak his PP2 spot. Still lots of PK time which is more his game anyways.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So far bit disappointing play in College hockey, probably not used to pace of play after only being in NA for 1 year and now has to go up against older players as well. Hopefully the college route doesn’t end up biting him in the back. It’s uncharted territory for a Slovak prospect to come over and play in college. Best Slovak d-men of this generation either went to juniors in chl after being drafted or from Europe to AHL.

I believe Nemec will be there based on Nj log jam of dmen. And Luka Radivojevic‘a emergence will likely cost Strbak his PP2 spot. Still lots of PK time which is more his game anyways.
Michigan State has played 4 games. I'm not sure what you are expecting from a freshman defenseman who was not a top 10 pick.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I haven’t heard/seen any reports yet on his play, but in case you weren’t familiar with NCAA hockey, it is very common not have much production and ice time as a freshman. So it is pretty expected he would have a quiet year in the league

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015

Since no one has stepped up to the plate yet, I’ll offer the obligatory “bust” post…your welcome

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Named to preliminary WJC roster and it seems like Nemec won’t be playing for Slovakia. This is not a joke at all, Strbak is going to play close to 30 minutes a game for the team.

Nemec recalled today by the Devils with Hamilton going to IR. He may not be available since he may still be in the NHL when the tournament starts.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Figuring out Maxim Strbak
Slovakia’s Maxim Strbak was the No. 45 pick of the most recent draft by the Buffalo Sabres. If you asked most scouts who exclusively have scouted him in the USHL and in college, they would say he’s a mobile and physical but basic defensive defenseman who doesn’t bring much offensive IQ. If you asked scouts who had only seen him in international play, they would call him an impactful all-around defenseman. The latter player showed up again on Tuesday.

Strbak led all Slovakia players in ice time. He was making stops due to his body and mobility, but he was also showing confidence moving pucks and jumping up into the play. He had a goal off a great pinch and another assist to go with his reliable defensive play. — Corey Pronman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad