Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I missed out the HNIC 2nd Intermission where they do the Headlines segment. But if someone did watch and can confirm, I read that they said this may end up being a sign and trade?

Reactions: 417

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I missed out the HNIC 2nd Intermission where they do the Headlines segment. But if someone did watch and can confirm, I read that they said this may end up being a sign and trade?

Wasn’t there a rumbling about resigning? If not, I’d love if someone can confirm that’s not true.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He didn't really say it like that. He said it in his speculative way, like "well, Kane signed for this, and the feeling is Pacioretty will be moved, but after seeing Kane's contract, you have to wonder if teams may look at a potential sign and trade" not so much that that's what we're doing or what teams are seeking, but Friedman just wondering if that's what a team will look for. All those in quotes are just extreme paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

with the rumblings that management did contact Patches about it though to gauge it, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the route taken. Would help us value wise.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He didn't really say it like that. He said it in his speculative way, like "well, Kane signed for this, and the feeling is Pacioretty will be moved, but after seeing Kane's contract, you have to wonder if teams may look at a potential sign and trade" not so much that that's what we're doing or what teams are seeking, but Friedman just wondering if that's what a team will look for. All those in quotes are just extreme paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

with the rumblings that management did contact Patches about it though to gauge it, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the route taken. Would help us value wise.

I just watched the vid. I get the sense that Friedman was sharing what he thinks may be happening based on some info he's gathered. Probably not enough info to say it as fact, but probably enough to make an educated guess.

I think a sign and trade makes a lot of sense for all sides. The team that trades for him is guaranteed he's there for the long term and in turn, Habs can get a bigger return. As an example, maybe with Max locked in for 6-7 years, Florida may be willing to give up Trocheck in the deal (who Habs were reportedly asking for at the deadline). With Barkov, Bjugstad, Borgstrom, McCann, and Heponiemi in the pipeline, Panthers may be more open to trading Trocheck to get the scoring winger help they need if they know Max is coming long term.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Seems like it's one of Elliotte's musings, but it does make sense. However, what was the last sign and trade?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I just watched the vid. I get the sense that Friedman was sharing what he thinks may be happening based on some info he's gathered. Probably not enough info to say it as fact, but probably enough to make an educated guess.

I think a sign and trade makes a lot of sense for all sides. The team that trades for him is guaranteed he's there for the long term and in turn, Habs can get a bigger return. As an example, maybe with Max locked in for 6-7 years, Florida may be willing to give up Trocheck in the deal (who Habs were reportedly asking for at the deadline). With Barkov, Bjugstad, Borgstrom, McCann, and Heponiemi in the pipeline, Panthers may be more open to trading Trocheck to get the scoring winger help they need if they know Max is coming long term.

Absolutely no chance we can get Trocheck. He got 75 pts last year and is good defensively.

Doubt they give up Borgstrom too. Assuming we pick Kotka, then I would be fine with trading Patch for 15th overall + Tippett.
A center wouldnt be that big of a need anymore considering we would have Kotka, Poehling, Danault, etc as young centers.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Absolutely no chance we can get Trocheck. He got 75 pts last year and is good defensively.

Doubt they give up Borgstrom too. Assuming we pick Kotka, then I would be fine with trading Patch for 15th overall + Tippett.
A center wouldnt be that big of a need anymore considering we would have Kotka, Poehling, Danault, etc as young centers.

Tippett sucks. Borgström is the only prospect of Florida's that I really covet.

About the bolded, in my opinion, we should acquire top center prospects until we have too many - until our cup runneth over with top 6 centers. Even if we draft Kotkaniemi, I'm still on the Lose for Hughes train. I won't believe that we've solved our center issue until I see the habs dominating the middle of the ice, with a center prospect murdering the AHL in Laval, and preferably another one in junior.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

About the bolded, in my opinion, we should acquire top center prospects until we have too many - until our cup runneth over with top 6 centers. Even if we draft Kotkaniemi, I'm still on the Lose for Hughes train. I won't believe that we've solved our center issue until I see the habs dominating the middle of the ice, with a center prospect murdering the AHL in Laval, and preferably another one in junior.

When I said the bolded, I considered that we would likely pick a couple of centers with that 15th overall pick and/or with some of our four 2nd rounders.
It would make acquiring a top center prospect for Patch not that important anymore. If you can get Borgstrom go for it, but if they dont want to give him up and offers some other good pieces instead, then its fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It makes sense. If I was the other team, I’d be going after the sign and trade but the draft complicates it a bit. It would have to be a hand shake type pre negotiated contract.. like when ROR was traded to the Sabres.

Patch has tons of value and guys like this don’t become available too often. Yeah he can be soft but the other parts of his game is top notch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed.. was thinking the same. Draft goal scoring centers and even if some move to wing, at least they can score goals

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Agreed.. was thinking the same. Draft goal scoring centers and even if some move to wing, at least they can score goals

I would really rather have the problem that we just have too many good centers to the one that we have now. In my mind, this problem isn't solved until it's solved for good. It's gone too far, beyond using a 2nd round pick or two to address it. Drastic action is required.

I liked Timmins interview yesterday. When asked about drafting for need he said essentially what I think about it. You don't get in trouble by drafting for need. You get in trouble by drafting busts who you think can fulfil a need, but end up giving you nothing.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
A sign and trade of Patches makes absolute sense for the Habs and for the team acquiring Patches as it maximizes value for us and guarantees the buyer Patches for the long term.

The question is whether it makes sense for Patches.

I have no doubt that after the Chara hit Patches wanted long term security as he knew first hand how a players career could be just one mishap away. I think at least in part this is why we got such a favourable deal.

So now Patches has a year left on his deal and now has the chance to sign another long term deal.

Patches has a family with children.

Patches was clearly affected by the stress of the season and impacted by the media , fans, and environment.

Patches had a bad year and knows while GMs are likely prepared to mostly overlook one bad year in tje circumstances, if he strings together 2 bad years it will hit his value hard regardless.

Patches does not seem the mercenary kind of guy where it's all about the top dollar he can get. He seems like a guy who would think of a good place for his family to live and a more laid back hockey environment to play in. Sure he would like a Cup, but he seems like he could live without ever getting one just fine. So a Cup contender likely not a priority for him.

Kane got $7M for 7 years. I think Patches could get at least that and maybe $8M as an upside. So I think if he could go to a place he and his family would like, he would sign for $7.5M , maybe even that $7M.

We know his connection with Florida, possibly the US northeast as he is from Connecticut , and very few players have ever not thought of California as a destination.

So forget the Oil, and think Panthers, Isles ( would have loved the Rags being interested, just give me Chytil plus something but they seem out ) , Devils, LA and Anaheim, as places he might do a sign and trade.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

If it's not Borgstrom, it's Heponiemi I'm targeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad