Confirmed with Link: Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd rd, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar - UPDATE: Pacioretty extends 7m x 4

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It's also disingenuous for people to say we needed to trade Tatar and cut ties with him after such a short time when many people were saying he just needed to settle in and get an off season with the team and time to gel. Then that flips to he wasn't working out when he gets traded.

McPhee did not get criticized by these same people at the time of the trade because "we have to give it time to see if it works out" and then when he gets traded so soon after he gets praised! Praised for cutting bait on a player and not holding on to that mistake everyone knew wasn't worth that price. You have to criticize McPhee at some point. He isn't using our capital in the best way.

EDIT: Pending the contract. If it's a good four year, good cap hit deal then I can fully get behind this.

Speaking only for myself, my hope that Tatar would get time to gel with the team was more about optimism than anything else--I felt last Spring that he was a mistake. We needed 20-goal Tatar to be successful as a team this year. This removes any potential that what we saw last Spring was what we get. Patch is clearly an upgrade.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
He is an American that became captain of the most storied hockey franchise in history and that franchise typically likes to name francophones as captains.

A little bit of myth busting here....It has been 20 years since the Habs had a francophone captain. In fact only 3 if the last 10 captains have been francophone....Hardly typical..,

To add: over the past 36 seasons, the Habs have had a Francophone captain for exactly NINE seasons.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Tatar was a short term mistake and we rid ourselves of the "trying to make it work" issue.

If you factor in the Expansion Draft, here is the entire trade:

VGK gets:
- Doesn't select Anderson/Korpisalo from CBJ or Enstrom from WPG
- Select Karlsson/Clarkson/Thorburn (UFA) in Exp Draft
- Pacioretty
- 2019 3rd (WPG)

VGK gives:
- 2018 1st
- 2019 2nd
- 2021 3rd

So if the 3rds cancel out, they essentially got Wild Bill, Pacioretty and Clarkson's cap hit for a 1st & 2nd. That's how I'm going to look at it. ;)

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
It's also disingenuous for people to say we needed to trade Tatar and cut ties with him after such a short time when many people were saying he just needed to settle in and get an off season with the team and time to gel. Then that flips to he wasn't working out when he gets traded.

McPhee did not get criticized by these same people at the time of the trade because "we have to give it time to see if it works out" and then when he gets traded so soon after he gets praised! Praised for cutting bait on a player and not holding on to that mistake everyone knew wasn't worth that price. You have to criticize McPhee at some point. He isn't using our capital in the best way.

EDIT: Pending the contract. If it's a good four year, good cap hit deal then I can fully get behind this.
It is more about not overvaluing a guy because you've traded a lot for him. The value of a player should only depend on present value. If you overpay them or you trade too much for him, that should not affect trade value of said player.

Tatar wasn't what we wanted in 28 games and GMGM saw an opportunity of a trade that saw him be a part of it. We can't look at the trade as 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd, and Suzuki. It is only Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd.

What is done is done.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It is more about not overvaluing a guy because you've traded a lot for him. The value of a player should only depend on present value. If you overpay them or you trade too much for him, that should not affect trade value of said player.

Tatar wasn't what we wanted in 28 games and GMGM saw an opportunity of a trade that saw him be a part of it. We can't look at the trade as 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd, and Suzuki. It is only Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd.

What is done is done.

But what is done is a waste of some assets. We shouldn't sweep that under the rug with semantic arguments.

I would have less of a problem if Pacioretty was not UFA after this year and due a new, probably too big and too long contract. And he is 30 at the start of it.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If you factor in the Expansion Draft, here is the entire trade:

VGK gets:
- Doesn't select Anderson/Korpisalo from CBJ or Enstrom from WPG
- Select Karlsson/Clarkson/Thorburn (UFA) in Exp Draft
- Pacioretty
- 2019 3rd (WPG)

VGK gives:
- 2018 1st
- 2019 2nd
- 2021 3rd

So if the 3rds cancel out, they essentially got Wild Bill, Pacioretty and Clarkson's cap hit for a 1st & 2nd. That's how I'm going to look at it. ;)

This is exactly how this deal should be viewed. We turned other teams' assets into Pacioretty & Wild Bill. We still have our top 3 prospects & kept our first round pick in 2019. I don't understand all the complaining.

The goal is to win the Cup. Having elite talent in the NHL is a must in order to do that. With this trade, our top 6 forwards are set for the next 3-4 years.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Now you can finally stop whining that he's a UFA & the contract is too long, etc. Time to get on board with this & turn your energy to *****ing about the D, which is the real problem this team has.

Taking away assets to trade for D is where some of my concern was with this deal. Think that's where we should have looked to improve first. I am not as negative about it as I was before the terms of the contract.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Knew it was gonna be 7M. It's a bit overpaid but avoided the UFA market and only 4 years. Its' good

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Knew it was gonna be 7M. It's a bit overpaid but avoided the UFA market and only 4 years. Its' good

This isn't an overpayment. Evander Kane just got the same money with a lot longer term. Kane isn't nearly as accomplished as Max.

Quit coming here to keep post negative remarks about the trade or the contract, etc. This is the KNIGHTS board, not the main boards.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
so Perron, Neal, Tatar out from last year
Pacioretty, Stastny, Carr, maybe a rookie D in

They've clearly upgraded (except the first 20 games :ha:)

Are you sure it's all three years reatained? Says on CF that Montreal retained 450K of Pacioretty this year. Feels like it's a wash.

you have to retain every year, if you retain at all

I don't know what to think of this yet aside from wahoo we got rid of Tatar.
I guess no Erik Karlsson trade now?

A 2nd to take Tatar's contract, so basically Suzuki for 1 season of Pacioretty (without giving up a conditional pick)...if Patches re-signs today for less than 6m it's a pretty good trade IMO.

NOW WE KNOW WHY THEY PUT SUZUKI AT C LAST MINUTE.

no he's very solid defensively.

higher cap hit than I wanted, but much less term than expected. Good trade and possibly a great trade if Patches finds his niche playing Golden Knights hockey.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
so Perron, Neal, Tatar out from last year
Pacioretty, Stastny, Carr, maybe a rookie D in

They've clearly upgraded (except the first 20 games :ha:)

you have to retain every year, if you retain at all

And you only have a certain amount of slots to do so.

Not that Vegas has any bad contracts (not counting Clarkson) but it just doesn’t make sense. Montreal is probably the second richest team in the league. Why retain when they are rebuilding?

Reactions: MordredGK

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
And you only have a certain amount of slots to do so.

Not that Vegas has any bad contracts (not counting Clarkson) but it just doesn’t make sense. Montreal is probably the second richest team in the league. Why retain when they are rebuilding?
Well, Montreal is retaining for only this year on MaxPac's contract so not too much to eat.

The Habs are also eating Steve Mason's buyout for this and next year too.

Edit: You can retain salary on a max three contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad