Confirmed with Link: Mattias Ekholm extended (4yx6.25m)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would have cheerfully taken him back at 5 x $7.5M if that's what it took. He's that important to our team.

It does not surprise me in the least however that he gave us another bargain contract instead. Not quite as much a bargain as last time, but still.

Very nice to have that out of the way before the season starts so we don't have to hear half the other fanbases in the league coming here asking about him while we all knew very well that he'd be extending.
:handclap:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don’t really find this to be a bargain. It’s not bad though and at only 4 years it’s probably perfect term given our likely trajectory over that time.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I didn't think $6.25M was much of a bargain for Ellis. But other fans around the league seemed to think it was fine and dandy. Yet I think Ekholm is pretty significantly better than Ellis... like, it's not close... soooooo.... :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Fil doesnt care. Hes clearly not a "I wanna be here forever" guy, and that's fine.

I dont think he extends during the season. I'm not gonna worry about it if he doesnt.
And he's going to have to live with the risk that he takes onto himself by doing so, if so. With some of his injury history, and with our team perhaps not likely to have any scoring fireworks, I question his ability to find a better contract elsewhere than he might be able to get with us if he extended today.

Of course, if he got traded to a contender at the Trade Deadline, he might improve his chances of winning something this year. Although it's always such a crapshoot. I'm not sure taking somewhat better but still by no means guaranteed odds of winning this year weighs significantly against the odds of a better long-term contract. But who knows. That's up to him.

Also I like what I'm seeing with Tomasino and Afanaseyev showing well, and I like the Svechkov pick. We seem to have some forwards coming now. Trading Forsberg for some more good futures doesn't terrify me. Contrasted to defense... where I still don't feel like we have anybody Ekholm-like clearly identified yet in the pipeline. Nobody with his size and two-way ability at least. Losing Ekholm would certainly have terrified me more.
:dunno:

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Fil doesnt care. Hes clearly not a "I wanna be here forever" guy, and that's fine.

I dont think he extends during the season. I'm not gonna worry about it if he doesnt.

I think I have said before that he is the #1 player on this team. He can go to maybe 2-3 teams and still be the #1 player, everywhere else he goes he drops to the #3 player or lower. Maybe he is not wanting all of that pressure of being the #1. IDK.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And he's going to have to live with the risk that he takes onto himself by doing so, if so. With some of his injury history, and with our team perhaps not likely to have any scoring fireworks, I question his ability to find a better contract elsewhere than he might be able to get with us if he extended today.

Of course, if he got traded to a contender at the Trade Deadline, he might improve his chances of winning something this year. Although it's always such a crapshoot. I'm not sure taking somewhat better but still by no means guaranteed odds of winning this year weighs significantly against the odds of a better long-term contract. But who knows. That's up to him.

Also I like what I'm seeing with Tomasino and Afanaseyev showing well, and I like the Svechkov pick. We seem to have some forwards coming now. Trading Forsberg for some more good futures doesn't terrify me. Contrasted to defense... where I still don't feel like we have anybody Ekholm-like clearly identified yet in the pipeline. Nobody with his size and two-way ability at least. Losing Ekholm would certainly have terrified me more.
:dunno:
Myers is the only current player that could be a future replacement and now there is plenty of time to figure that out. Or try to draft someone.

Edit: I guess we need to see how Prokop and Matier develop. They have the size and are 3rd/4th round picks so who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad